Charmed: The Book of Shadows

Zcoberly

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
On the search for a Charmed Book of Shadows replica, I realized I would not find one that was as close to the original as I would want, though Prescott Manor makes THE BEST book of shadow from what I can tell. So I thought I would tackle this HUGE project myself. Here is the original book.

1x09-BookOfShadows.jpg

Using an Epson 1400 printer and pages that I collected from the internet along with a lot of watered down paint would make exactly what I was looking for.

Here is my first step

I used 11x17 sized paper and a spray bottle with water and yellow and brown paint. I put the paper on the top to a plastic bin and sprayed it down.
unnamed (5).jpg
After it was sprayed down I took a thicker water, yellow and brown mix, brushed it onto the corners of the wet page and then wiped the entire page down with a paper towel (a paper towel soaked in the water/paint I was using. They were turning out exactly how I hoped they would.
unnamed (4).jpg

Last edited:
I had a great system going in my kitchen. paint the page and hang it up while I wait for the oven. Place the page on the top rack on a pan for a few mins, then take it out and place it on the bottom rack and put a new one on the top...worked out great....
unnamed.jpg

And of course several pages awaited the oven.

unnamed (10).jpg

Last edited:
Now to the GOOD stuff!

Pages are all printed and they turned out great!!! After a few tries of getting that wrinkled paper to run smoothly through the printer, I decided to iron the pages, then run them through the printer...worked great! I also hole punched all of the pages, as this book is going to be post bound, just like the original.

The Necromancer (with Gram's notes)
unnamed (9).jpg

Necron
unnamed (2).jpg

Monkey Totem
unnamed (3).jpg

The first spell in the book
unnamed (6).jpg

The Wendigo
unnamed (7).jpg

And of course the most recognizable book of shadows page, Belthazor, with Phoebe's entry to the book on the leftunnamed (8).jpg

Last edited:
Very cool, I'll definitely have to try out your method for aging paper.

The pics in the third post aren't showing though.

also forgot to mention, the pages all had to be cut down to 10.5X13, that is the original size of the pages in the book, the book itself is 11x14.

The green leather is on the way, as well as the binding screws. Hopefully this green along with a lot of distressing will give me the look I want.
91hW4TUkykL._SL1500_.jpg

Now to the REALLY good stuff!

The leather came in the mail yesterday so I spent the last 2 days finishing my book!

First thing I needed to do was to wrap the cover and the back using spray glue, it worked GREAT!
26.jpg

For the spine I glued twine to the board and covered that in leather. I can't find a pic of it...must have forgotten to take one.

Once the spine of the book was done I glued the three pieces together, added the leather to the inside for the binding screws to hold the pages in place as well as gluing in the ribbons (book marks)
23.jpg

24.jpg

The corners also had to be wrapped on the front and the back. Getting the triquetra symbol draw out evenly was a little tough but I am pretty glad with how that turned out.
21.jpg

25.jpg

My favorite part, distressing the book! With some watered down black paint and an exacto knife I can do A LOT!

22.jpg

28.jpg

30.jpg

After looking through a lot of images I noticed the book had some very specific markings on it...these were achieved by dragging the exacto knife across the book.Painting black into the cracks and folds and then wiping the excess away gave a great aged look too.

Here is the inside of the book without the pages in it.
27.jpg

awesome job so far!!!
i love the pic of the pages drying in the kitchen!!
reminds me of my house when my projects take over the living space lol
can't wait to see the finished bound book!

It looks even better than the Prescott Manor replica! You did a fantastic job! :D
I've always been interested in making this myself but haven't the time to undertake such an endeavour. Congratulations.on doing it and actually finishing it! :lol

and it really does take a LOT of time... aging the paper was KILLER... after I got a good process going on aging the paper it would take me about an hour and a half to two hours to age 50 pages...

In the episode Chris-Crossed of the serie Charmed we can see than in the future, in a alternate future., the Halliwell Manor was a museum. Wyatt Halliwell claimed to have created the museum as a tribute to and reminder of the power he came from.
attachment.php

attachment.png

The Tour Guide had a little embedded picture of the Manor sewn onto her jacket. Someone could reproduce or recreate the logo?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking for 1. a good site to teach book binding for the BOS type book, and 2. what is best paper to age and use in the book of shadows. I was told a recycled paper is good but Georgia pacific has one at walmart that is 30% recycled, 20 pound standard paper

I am looking for 1. a good site to teach book binding for the BOS type book, and 2. what is best paper to age and use in the book of shadows. I was told a recycled paper is good but Georgia pacific has one at walmart that is 30% recycled, 20 pound standard paper
There's a website that gives great information just Google Dan haberkorn studios and click the charmed link the downloadable content should be there. For the cover there are many charmed making of bos videos that teaches you how to make the cover just substitute some of the materials such as the pleather for real leather and some thin ply wood or sturdy heavy duty cardboard/stock for the cover. Search on YouTube Jamie Cunningham for her how to's or how to make a charmed bos, who knows there may be good new videos.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back