Chappie - Head Project (3D Printed) - Build Thread / Picture Heavy / Finished! -> Page2

diogorsergio

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hi guys!

I've been working on my chappie head project and although I've been taking a lot of pictures, thought it would be good to document the process here and get help and feedback as I progress.

I got the original 3D files from RPF member Razmataz, and created/modified some new parts to be more screen accurate and also made a stand to display the head.

Here is the goal of this project:
mQgi458.png

Finished Result:
Chappie-12.jpg

I will share my progress on the next couple posts!

Last edited:
A1xD2kV.jpg

I was using a Prusa i3 MK2S with an IKEA enclosure to help with the ABS printing.

Gwmp0be.jpg

Sliced some of the parts myself, to make it easier to print.

c40tKC2.jpg

If I were to do it all again, I would slice the whole model myself and include more registration keys for the parts to fit together.

BGF7eRr.jpg

I glued the parts together with a good dose of super glue, so I could sand it afterwards.

y6JJDFx.jpg

Used some clamps to help while glueing the parts together.

5byOY9d.jpg

Assembling the head frame with clamps and glue.

oMmV504.jpg

The print lines weren't that bad, so sanding would really make the parts nice and smooth.

HUM51WV.jpg

Making a mess in my desk.. I was wearing a dust / particle mask.

RmwH59q.jpg

The surface was getting smoother but, near the edges and details the sand paper wasn't enough.

8dzN34a.jpg

These cheap metal hand files, were a blessing with ABS it was super quick to make the surface smooth and great for the small details too.

NIKHlqp.jpg

The printer wasn't well calibrated so had some issues with the lines all over the place, but all manageable.

BW5i7RB.jpg

Looking good, but still could see some lines, but since I was going to try some filler primer I let it be.

HEvvcy2.jpg

I tried to use a knifing putty to help out with the curves, but it wasn't great. The putty dried super fast I could barely spread it and then because I used so much it just gunked up the sand paper.

1O1uyvZ.jpg

In the end the results were actually better on the one without the putty, although I sanded a bit more of the surface.

A8Dcaxu.jpg

Sanding and using the putty to help smooth the seam lines.

Npfqg2q.jpg

The metal hand files really came in handy for the parts with small details.

4y6Pp3K.jpg

Using the dreadful putty to hide the rough side of the parts where the supports were.

mFBQ9WJ.jpg

It actually ended up working well if you didn't use much.. but still..

iPaGyuy.jpg

These metal hand files had various shape and sizes, perfect for the detailed parts.

abcY29k.jpg

These metal hand files had various shape and sizes, perfect for the detailed parts.

Z3HVokd.jpg

The blue parts were PLA and they definitely harder to sand to a smooth finish.

hGFdvOf.jpg

More of the same printing and sanding!

pIj6U7Z.jpg

Midway through I switched to the orange ABS.

WoB5uWZ.jpg

Easier to sand, and easier to make a big mess too!

wlDDowb.jpg

Modifying the visor part so It would fit the small LCD's I ordered.

VCpOnj6.jpg

Also making some new parts to be more screen accurate, like the antennas.

2U6TI8K.jpg

Smallest workshop ever!

KFaG6qs.jpg

Modeling the wire connections as these were not included.

4HdoLUm.jpg

Using some reference pictures from the original models to design a stand for my head.

lcg9rvY.jpg

Nothing is articulated, it was just to give it some story.

3ULURtX.jpg

Updating the camera pod to be a bit more screen accurate.

DNWw9AT.jpg

Took the chance to print the new updated part in ABS.

nQ4E2w2.jpg

By this point I was so tired of sanding ahaha.. its really time consuming! Punished props YouTube videos kept me entertained though.

HZxWDBM.jpg

Print and sand.. print and sand...

O4VedDJ.jpg

Updated the speaker box to look like it was damaged, like it was towards the middle of the movie.

2qmS9k0.jpg

Desk mess!

oPD7FOV.jpg

These were hard to print, but in the end they looked nice!

y34ce85.jpg

Workspace now with a panting booth :D

t9ehggq.jpg

I used a rattle can filler primer to prime all the parts.

zMjDP8V.jpg

SMQrUV8.jpg

ATQvJZk.jpg

KYx4hJD.jpg

It looked quite smooth, only minor things to fix!

xqtH1MJ.jpg

MxSQORf.jpg

XVXapCn.jpg

Far from perfect, but with the final pain and weathering it would look okay!

fH0BvIm.jpg

All primed and ready! Now waiting for electronics and and thinking about on how to paint it.

And that's it for now! Waiting on the electronics and starting to think about the painting and how to do it!

Daxy4uM.jpg

These are the paints I'm thinking of using. Tamiya Metallic Blue, Flat Aluminium, Gun Metal and Clear.

What I'm thinking is:
Paint a black base, then Flat aluminium and then the Metallic Blue. But wonder if the black base even needed?

Will try out on some plastic parts and see how it goes.

Thanks guys! Just spent some time today painting all the parts.

5ORzapI.jpg

Tamiya Flat Aluminium base coat.

6nN6YBT.jpg

All the parts painted, just some small adjustments needed.

zSLm1bk.jpg

Looks really slick.

2tlMrSH.jpg

Still trying to figure out the best material for the visor and came across this on amazon, a plastic dust cover for fans in PC cases. It actually looks similar.

Next step need to do some glueing which I forgot, use some liquid latex to simulate some paint chipping and give the pieces their final coat of Tamiya Metallic Blue, Black, and Orage (for the ear).

J912Dje.jpg

Started painting some pieces with the Tamiya Metallic blue.. the color is not exactly the same as the movie.. but once I apply the weathering and grease up the model I think it will look the part.

FmJaRqQ.jpg

Used some liquid latex to mask before I applied the blue.. so then I could take it out and see the color bellow, and try to mimic some paint chipping. Technique I saw on the punished props YouTube channel!

C1xig5Q.jpg

The pieces are not perfect.. but since I'm trying to get closed to chappie by the end of the movie, he was pretty banged up, so it will be ok.

7Ge11dc.jpg

Removed the liquid latex, and it looks okay-is!

RxTVfs9.jpg

Its quite brash right now.. but I think the weathering will tie everything together!

k2Xiajx.jpg

Some of the parts already painted! I think that's it for blue and orange..

SfzVgm1.jpg

I wasn't happy with the test orange test pieces.. but then painted the right ear.. and it looks better than expected!

Looking great, and as a fellow 'no workshop so i have to do everything in the man room' guy, I like your setup.

However in your first post, such great progress pictures but all i could think about was your poor dust covered keyboard!!! :eek:

Looking great, and as a fellow 'no workshop so i have to do everything in the man room' guy, I like your setup.

However in your first post, such great progress pictures but all i could think about was your poor dust covered keyboard!!! :eek:

Ahaha yeah.. took me a couple hours to clean everything up.. now that I'm done with the sanding.. (thank god)..

l5u1AHG.jpg

Finished with all the base paint so far! Now only small details.

km8hnN6.png

Using McMaster-Carr in Fusion360 to figure out how many screws will I need... and what size!

Ccojrgj.png

Lots of different sizes and lengths! I will post the full list once I have the exact number..

And I still need to figure out all of the electronics..

Last edited:
Side Model
zS2lUDG.png

-----

Normal Socket Head Screw, Hex Drive
M1.6 x 0.35 mm Thread, 4 mm
Quantity: 8
Available: UK Socket Head Cap Screws ISO 4762 (DIN 912) M1.6 in A2 Stainless Steel - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
gXX8mIq.png
FidWxKf.png

M2 x 0.4 mm Thread, 10 mm
Quantity: 18
Available: UK Socket Head Cap (Allen) Screw M2 x 10mm in A2 Stainless - ISO 4762 (DIN 912) - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
0fZoKtC.png
7637xbs.png
LHhCtQk.png
LHhCtQk.png
JPbBJF5.png
dDqhU8z.png
acAWLS9.png

M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 6 mm
Quantity: 8
Available: UK M3 Screw Unbrako Socket Head Cap (Allen) 6mm in Black - ISO 4762 (DIN 912) - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
sVpWt3B.png

Low-Profile Socket Head Screw, Hex Drive
M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 6 mm
Quantity: 4
Available: UK Low Socket Head Cap Screw M3 x 6mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 7984 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
nj6Xz64.png
rR9RwpA.png

Flat Head Screw, Hex Drive
M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 10 mm
Quantity: 10
Available: UK Unbrako Socket Head Csk Screw Full Thread M3 x 10mm in Black Oxide - ISO 10642 (DIN 7991) - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
LOMWvJE.png
m0oHEz1.png

M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 16 mm
Quantity: 8 (These 4 for the fan, and 4 for the base mentioned bellow).
Available: UK Low Socket Head Cap Screw M3 x 16mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 7984 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
YYBQZiL.png

M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 20 mm
Quantity: 10
Available: UK Low Socket Head Cap Screw M4 x 20mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 7984 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
17v7HUy.png

M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 35 mm
Low-Profile Socket Head Screws, Hex Drive
Available: UK Low Socket Head Cap Screw M4 x 35mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 7984 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
Q9yJ2kF.png

M5 x 0.8 mm Thread, 10 mm
Available: UK Unbrako Socket Head Cap Screws ISO 4762 M5mm in Black oxide high tensile steel class 12+ - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
vDcPmig.png
KEOQxnw.png

Bottom Model
34JrGQE.png

M3 x 0.5 mm Thread, 16 mm
Quantity: 4 (Counted Above)
Available: UK Low Socket Head Cap Screw M3 x 16mm in A2 Stainless - DIN 7984 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
tvIsPOB.png
xDTpTZg.png

Inside Model
63WCCcB.png

Nyloc Nut Type T (Thin) M3
Available: UK Nyloc Nut Type T (Thin) M3 in A2 Stainless - DIN 985 - Westfield Fasteners Ltd
VgENE1w.png
ZsXk4gG.png

I don't know if this is too much detail, I'm having fun detailing the project! If its too much let me know and I will tone it down! :)

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back