CGI ANH Stormtrooper and ESB Darth Vader

Take a look at the helmet's right dent shape, just under the right eye (the dent painted grey). I think it needs a review ;)

That photo from the EFX site is excellent as reference. I just wish it was higher resolution and also had a side view! That's something that annoys me a lot about the Stormtrooper references photos out there. I mean, most cameras these days can take photos that are at least 3000 pixels wide, but still the stormtrooper photos on most sites - even Flickr - are 800 pixels.

I see a million things to fix now, but I took care of some major things. Here is another update:

trooper38_superrune_wip.jpg

Oops, the paint on the ear got flipped around. Nothing to see there, move along :)

That photo from the EFX site is excellent as reference. I just wish it was higher resolution and also had a side view! That's something that annoys me a lot about the Stormtrooper references photos out there. I mean, most cameras these days can take photos that are at least 3000 pixels wide, but still the stormtrooper photos on most sites - even Flickr - are 800 pixels.

I see a million things to fix now, but I took care of some major things. Here is another update:

http://www.superrune.com/offsite/2015/trooper38_superrune_wip.jpg

Oops, the paint on the ear got flipped around. Nothing to see there, move along :)

The still crappy as heck camera in my cellphone takes images that are 3840x2160(High-res but still crappy quality). And real cameras that give you over 10 000 x whatever pixels(!) Quite insane :p

GREAT work so far! :) what is the poly count on it thus far??

Thanks! The polycount is about 15.000, with 11.000 of those being in the vocoder mesh. It's pretty efficient, I think :)

Do you have a bottom render? This is how a stunt helmet bottom looks. I think the Hero is the same but with a bigger hole through the chin.

REF_LFL_Caleb_ANHstormtrooperneckopeningdetail.jpg

I'll see if I can do a bottom render next.

Good evening mr superrune,

this is the first time I see your thread, and I must admit I'm truly impressed by how amazing this helmet is. But there's something I was thinking: are you ever gonna share this model once it'll be done? I would love to turn it into a fully wearable helmet for my Stormtrooper Armor set. :)

Best regards,
Commander Fox

Thanks!

And thanks for reminding me of this model. I'd like to pick up work on it now that I have some time. Send me an email when I'm done and I'm sure we can arrange something!

I've had to put a strict priority on paying jobs the past years, but I hope to pick this up at some point and finish off the helmet at least. A full armor would be great to do, crossing fingers I get some more spare time at some point.

One thing I did last year was to do a 3D print at 1:10 scale. Wouldn't it be great to paint and assemble a mini trooper helmet in the same fashion as the movie helmets?!

helmet_3dprint.jpg

I've had to put a strict priority on paying jobs the past years, but I hope to pick this up at some point and finish off the helmet at least. A full armor would be great to do, crossing fingers I get some more spare time at some point.

One thing I did last year was to do a 3D print at 1:10 scale. Wouldn't it be great to paint and assemble a mini trooper helmet in the same fashion as the movie helmets?!

View attachment 1297617
That looks awesome!

I have been thinking about a method of getting more accurate photogrammetry (3D scans from photos), and decided I'd do another project; A CGI Darth Vader!

I have the old Don Post Classic Action ESB Darth Vader, and thought that would be a perfect object for my project. Here are some images of the initial raw photogrammetry. Note that the surface is very dirty/grainy, I've covered it with a mix of flour and latex, and it needs cleanup. Looks good anyways, I must say!!

The dome was a lot more wonky than I thought it would be. Very interesting to see the shape cleanly without distracting reflections. I never knew Vader had a raised right brow :D This is the flared later version of the Don Post dome, but I wonder if any of the wonkiness on the rest of the dome can be blamed on the mold or plastic?

Finally, a quick render of the uncleaned dome and face. Again, it's dirty and full of artifacts, so it looks very different to the relatively smooth ESB Vader - and I know it. Next for me is cleaning this up, adding the tusks and correct materials, and doing a little paint job on him

Hope you like it!

Vader_WIP_01_scanface_superrune.jpg

Vader_WIP_01_scandome_superrune.jpg
Vader_WIP_02_superrune.jpg

Looking cool. Yeah, the dome looks a little flared out down at the bottom front corners, but otherwise looks decently correct. The neck on the face mask is flared out as well. Both could do with a slight pulling in of the surface in those areas.

I need some guidance, does anybody have any idea how the lens where fitted into the original hero helmet were they individual and if so how were they held in place? also what is the expected fixing configuration on the ear piece for hero ANH two flat screws top and a rivet bottom I am struggling to get a diffusive answer so hope I can get help with this?

I need some guidance, does anybody have any idea how the lens where fitted into the original hero helmet were they individual and if so how were they held in place? also what is the expected fixing configuration on the ear piece for hero ANH two flat screws top and a rivet bottom I am struggling to get a diffusive answer so hope I can get help with this?
It's probably best to start a separate thread with that question ;)

Heros had one piece lenses held in place by gaffa tape .
The ears had one bottom and one upper screw . The two per side rivets are under the ears holding the front and back together . The rivets can't be seen . Hope this helps.

Heros had one piece lenses held in place by gaffa tape .
The ears had one bottom and one upper screw . The two per side rivets are under the ears holding the front and back together . The rivets can't be seen . Hope this helps.
It does thanks for this do you know if there are any images of this?

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back