CGI ANH Stormtrooper and ESB Darth Vader

superrune

Hi all.

I normally post my work in pure CGI forums, but since I want the best possible feedback on this I think this is the best place to go. I've been a member here for years, lurking around admiring the beautiful work you guys do, so I hope you will excuse me if this is slightly off-topic (or even sacrilegous for some of you CG-haters.), but this is the only way I can show you something back :)

trooper_002_poster.jpg

The thing is, I am on a mission to produce a super-accurate ANH hero Stormtrooper model in 3D. I am now finished with the main sculpt of the helmet, but I could use some feedback on the proportions and detailing. There are a couple of things I am uncertain of, like the depth/sharpness of the insets for the stripe markings, the general shape of the back head etc. Please note that the model is very 'perfect' now and completely symmetric. I will unsymmetrify the model once I'm done with the gross proportions, and after that I will go in and put in all the little imperfections that will make the helmet lifelike (or photorealistic as we say in 3D :) ).

Click here to see a high resolution render of the Trooper helmet from different angles:

http://www.superrune.com/offsite/2007/troo...02_allsides.jpg

And click here for a quicktime turnaround of the helmet.

http://www.superrune.com/offsite/2007/troo...2_turntable.mov

The 2m closeup distance is more correct when you're comparing a helmet physically close to you. The 20m distance is more correct when compared to the helmets shot in the film (very approx here).

I am a bit stuck on research now, and also somewhat blind from working on this, so I hope you guys can help me point out some glaring errors.

Some quick background info: The base of the model is done from 3D-tracking the features of the "Move along" trooper in the DVD version of the film, using a clever little software called Syntheyes. And so its proportions are from that specific trooper, although I have lowered the brow for a more hero look. I am looking at tracking a HD version of one of the deathstar troopers to get a more correctly proportioned model, but I am having some technical problems getting that to happen. I've also had my SDS stunt next to me while doing this, even though I'm not using that as a bible in any way. Other than that I've been looking at the press photos in the chronicles and visual dictionary books, but I must say I have problems finding good high-res photos of hero troopers. I am curious as to how smooth the surface of the top of the hero helmets are. I guess they're not as bumpy or rough as the stunt troopers? Any hints would be appreciated.

Hope you guys like it so far, I will be happy to take any comments you might have :) If you are interested, I can update this thread when I continue detailing/surfacing the helmet and doing the body sculpt.

Rune

Lovely work - well done

All I'd say is that you've produced a cross between the Stunt and Hero. IMO you should go for flat eye lenses and not bulbous. In addition you could probably bring the curvature of the dome down a little - or at least reduce the amout the dome goes vertical before the curve starts.

Its also a little too symmetrical and is missing the bump under its right eye but I'm being picky here as you really have done a superb job - congratulations

Cheers

Jez

Thanks Jez. I am going for the hero look, mind you :) So the bulby eyes are staying. But I think they could be a tad too bulbous compared to stills I've looked at? For a hero trooper, does the dome curvature look correct?

Rune

you should (if ou haven't already) check out Jez's site as it has heaps of amazing pics of film used helmets and comparrisons.

Your model is looking good, I to think it needs to be a bit more assymetrical and add some of the little iddios that make the stormtrooper helmet what it is (like the bump on the eye). I might help if you have a look at a pic of the helmet from above You can get a good idea of how out the helmet really is. (you would have noticed this on your SDS helmet)

what's the models going to be used for? If it's ok to know :thumbsup

Hal9000: Thanks. This is done in good old 3ds max

Scooter: Yup, I've been at Jez' site a lot of times. I got 3200 files of trooper images on my hard drive, so theoretically I should have enough research. Most images I got are for stunt helmets though. It seems like the stunts have this huge skew when looking at them from above (like my SDS), and I guess the hero have some of that as well. The rest of the assymetry and little bumps will come later, just need to get the basic proportions right first...

I'm doing the model for my personal satisfaction. There are a couple of Star Wars models I've always wanted to do in 3D (Stormtrooper, AT-AT and Tie Fighter), I guess it's for the same reasons you guys do them physically. It's just cool :) And if I get some cool images for my portfolio, that's a nice bonus.

Rune

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(superrune @ Mar 27 2007, 05:39 PM) [snapback]1449495[/snapback]</div>
Hal9000: Thanks. This is done in good old 3ds max

Scooter: Yup, I've been at Jez' site a lot of times. I got 3200 files of trooper images on my hard drive, so theoretically I should have enough research. Most images I got are for stunt helmets though. It seems like the stunts have this huge skew when looking at them from above (like my SDS), and I guess the hero have some of that as well. The rest of the assymetry and little bumps will come later, just need to get the basic proportions right first...

I'm doing the model for my personal satisfaction. There are a couple of Star Wars models I've always wanted to do in 3D (Stormtrooper, AT-AT and Tie Fighter), I guess it's for the same reasons you guys do them physically. It's just cool :) And if I get some cool images for my portfolio, that's a nice bonus.

Rune
[/b]

Well id say your there. now wonky that mug up flatten the lenses put the bump under the right eye, oh and the earpieces are different on each side.

Also the traps under the eyes seem a bit off... to tall long and sharp.

But other than that... WOW.

Iwas actually thinkin about the new SW TV show the other day and it hit me...

GL doesnt do wonky anymore... he let vader be ruined in ROTS... dear God they have to use the old style buckets... i dont care if they are CG... but PLEASE let them be wonky etc.

That is very cool, yet another talent on these boards that i don't have.
I actually love the perfect an completely symmetric look (but hate the bulb eyes) not that it is screen accurate, but to me much more "realistic". Heck they can build the Death Star, but look too closely at the helmets and they all are a cobbled together lumby mess. Anyway, just wanted to say I love the ideal version, that is what I want to own as a helmet, even thought that isn't want you want in the end, it is cool to see. :)

Have to admit that I like the look of this thing... even with its symmetrical inaccuracies. :lol

One thing I noticed is the vocoder... it looks off in a way. Hard to explain... but I did this rendition - added black lines - to check if this is indeed how the cgi sculpt vocoder is done...

I may be blind... so don't shoot me. :confused :lol

Wow, that looks very cool. Nice work.

Well, i am no expert as i have never had a screen used helmet in my hands. But, from what I can tell is that i think the eyes are too bulbous. The forehead of the dome sticks out too much and should taper off more quickly. Also, i think the ear caps are too sharply defined.

Looking forward to your progress on this.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim Allen @ Mar 28 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]1449807[/snapback]</div>
Well done

IMO thats how Trooper helms were intended to look.
[/b]

Great work, I really like it.

If I am being picky, the traps seem a little deep compared to real helmets.

Joe

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back