Ceramics - Star Trek DS9 Raktajino Mug

UnseenRincewind

My wife is a ceramicist and so I thought I'd use her skills to make a DS9 Raktajino mug. This started off as a 3D printed mould, then into a silicone mould, then into plaster of paris, then used to slip-cast porcelain. Quite the time-consuming process but it means I can make more if I want a set, now I've made the moulds.
Now looking for another similar project if anyone has any ideas? Any feedback gratefully appreciated (however critical!)

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 10.56.41.png

Kudos to your wife, that's a lovely replica.
You can enjoy your hot beverages in true Star Trek style.

I have a fair few of the DS9 mugs but not a maroon/dark cherry Raktajino mug, I have a green and blue mug.
Thank you; that's a phenomenal set you've collected there! Are they all original pieces used on the set?

We tried making the smaller Raktajino but found it wasn't very useful - it didn't fit under our espresso machine and it didn't hold much coffee!

Mind you, these big ones hold about a pint! I really enjoyed the process of designing the mould and the rest of it - I just need to think of another piece of ceramics that I can produce. Perhaps a Klingon Bloodwine Mug?

They aren't set used but they are the same manufacturer and models as the ones used on the show. It took a long time to gather that set together.

Who can argue with a pint of tea/coffee.
Best of luck with yours and your wife's next ceramics collaboration.

They aren't set used but they are the same manufacturer and models as the ones used on the show. It took a long time to gather that set together.

Who can argue with a pint of tea/coffee.
Best of luck with yours and your wife's next ceramics collaboration.
May I ask you for the manufacturer and model of the steel/plastics one? I've been wanting to buy one of these for decades now... Many thanks!

Last edited:
This next?

The best finale to DS9 would be to have Sisko in something like the El Baz place the stone’s mandibles to either side of the hourglass like Bajoran Orb at its narrowest.

Together they fling back the whole Dominion fleet inside the wormhole….their hostility being their undoing.

Kudos to your wife, that's a lovely replica.
You can enjoy your hot beverages in true Star Trek style.

I have a fair few of the DS9 mugs but not a maroon/dark cherry Raktajino mug, I have a green and blue mug.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had a crack at making the replimat Raktajino mug over Christmas and am pretty pleased with the results! Got the glaze dialled in too :) It would be far easier if I had a replicator

1707724814283.png

Fantastic!
You would have no problem selling these.
My wife hopes so as she poured a lot (an awful lot!) of time into getting things right.

Now I want to do the taller, straight-sided mug that Quark used for his promotion. I'm struggling to find a photo of the handle, despite having rewatched the entirety of DS9 recently - I don't suppose you have anything in your cache of DS9 photos, do you?

My wife hopes so as she poured a lot (an awful lot!) of time into getting things right.

Now I want to do the taller, straight-sided mug that Quark used for his promotion. I'm struggling to find a photo of the handle, despite having rewatched the entirety of DS9 recently - I don't suppose you have anything in your cache of DS9 photos, do you?
Unfortunately I don't have the white DS9 mug to hand to provide measurements at the moment. The mug is in storage at my parents' place. Next time I visit I will take some photos and measurements for you.

Unfortunately I don't have the white DS9 mug to hand to provide measurements at the moment. The mug is in storage at my parents' place. Next time I visit I will take some photos and measurements for you.
You're a superstar - thank you! Do you think the ones on the actual set had the little bobble on the inside of the handle?

Here's a picture of the one in my collection. I can take measurements and additional photos tomorrow, just let me know what you need.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 40
I can't be sure about the exact color match but at least it seems that they used that design as well, as documented in here: HotJo Travel Mug by Highwave — Star Trek + Design
Yes, I agree - there were a couple of episodes where Sisko is seen drinking out of one of the newer mugs. And also this rare one with a rounded handle and more vertical sides. It seems they worked their way through the 90's HotJo range.

1707980931257.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back