Centauri's Hand Weapon: The Breakdown

drusselmeyer

Master Member
With the release of Ron Cobb's designs from The Last Starfighter and a few photos (finally) from the film, this elusive prop can at last be reconstructed.

th-3827293538.jpg
IE-554a-on-Centauris_Hand_Weapon-lsf.jpg

Screenshot_20230213-004735.jpg

Last edited:
So, what are we looking at??

-I think I see some kind of 16mm camera lens outer shell for the barrel.

-The bottom clip looks like some kind of camera mount.

-The whole thing looks like a custom frame decorated with camera parts.

What do you see?

For reference: this is the Zandozan pistol. Notice the part above the handguard. I think this was reused on Centauri's weapon.

Identifying this part would narrow down the proportions a lot.

Screenshot_20230209-194142.jpg

A little clearer:
Screenshot_20230209-194142_20230219042759642.jpg

Last edited:
THANK YOU!

Hmm. I guess I will have to revise my guesses. I should have thought to look at other Lorimar productions to see if they had repurposed the props.

Good eye!

Last edited:
I have to say, this is a bit confusing. Considering the differences in appearance, these pictures make the blaster look both the same and different. The design looks exactly right, but the scale looks way off.

I have to say, this is a bit confusing. Considering the differences in appearance, these pictures make the blaster look both the same and different. The design looks exactly right, but the scale looks way off.
I think they reversed the design: the top of that Truth Serum prop is now the bottom of the gun...if that makes sense:unsure:
So the trigger guard (near the upper part of his jaw, left) is now the "real" trigger guard on the gun...

The orientation looks right as the trigger ring is still near the index finger, but that would mean that Jane Badler's hands are tiny and Marc Singer's head is on the small side.
That's why our quest to replicate props from pics caps are, at best, a game of unknowns:p I have long hands, so it shouldn't be an exact measurement to gage the size of that prop. The actress is small in stature, therefore small hands.
The actor holding the gun has a gloved hand; which makes it "bigger" than a normal bare hand...;)

The only gloved hand is on the Zandozan weapon and not Centauri's. Robert Preston's hand is bare and he looks like he is squeezing his hand into it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back