CC X-Wing Finished

Umm luckily Red 5 was never destroyed so maybe with one of my others down the line I can do a Red Leader or Red 3. Sell tickets and nuke it LOL :p

Greg

Totally amazing. I have been following your progress since I was just an unregistered lurker and I'm glad to be able to tell you how great it looks as a new member. Great work on the lighting and weathering, and good luck with the next one.

Bruce

Greg,

That looks awesome. I went through your entire build diary last night, and wanted to let you know how much I appreciated you documenting your project.

It really helps guys like me who have less building experience to see how the pros do it. :) It gave me some great ideas that I'd like to use on some of my projects, like using the salt/water combo for painting weathering effects.

Good stuff. :thumbsup

Lonnie

PS - I think we can let this thread stay here for a few days and then maybe move it over to the SS Modeling forum. ;)

Originally posted by rocketeer25@May 4 2005, 11:13 AM
PS - I think we can let this thread stay here for a few days and then maybe move it over to the SS Modeling forum.  ;)
[snapback]980069[/snapback]​

A big thanks for me, Lonnie. The Studio Scale Modeling forum is a great place to hang out and view some incredible SS pieces. (I only wish I had the time and skills that those people have.) I appreciate you allowing this one to stay for a moment or two.

Again, Greg, for lack of better words, your work is divine. :)

Gorgeous work JDH, it came out great. The only thing I'll complain about is that I have dial-up, so the pics take a while to load :lol ---but they're definitely worth the wait :)

I'm so jealous. Not only because you have one of, if not the best, x-wing I have ever seen, but also because I have neither the time or skill to do something like that. Great job. I can't wait to see how the other turns out.

Originally posted by tommin@May 4 2005, 09:38 PM

I only wish I had the time and skills that those people have.)

[snapback]980539[/snapback]​

Tom that sir is a bald faced lie... I have seen your work, your Enterprise with the red nacelles is UNBELIEVABLE...

However, I do appreciate the compliment :p

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@May 5 2005, 07:06 AM
Tom that sir is a bald faced lie... I have seen your work, your Enterprise with the red nacelles is UNBELIEVABLE...

However, I do appreciate the compliment  :p
[snapback]980743[/snapback]​

:D Now you are being way too kind. My Enterprise is no where near the quality of this X-Wing. Thank you anyway. :)

A while back, you gave me so really cools tips for using india ink for some of the weathered areas. Thanks again for that but I've noticed something new while reading through some of your latest material.

I am using water and salt to create a look of weathered chipped paint which can be seen in the next group of pictures.

Interesting idea. How does this work? If all goes well, I will be painting and weathering my PR this summer and all tips and techniques are welcome.

Basically all you do is mask the area you want to paint. Then using a regular old paintbrush, you brush water on and before it has a chance to dry you sprinkle regualr old table salt on the water. Give it about a minute to dry then blow off the excess salt.

It really is that simple. If you don't like how the pattern turned out just rub the salt off and do it again. Once you have the pattern you like just airbrush over it like normal.

Once the paint is dry just rub the salt off with your finger and instant paint chips.

I wish I could take credit for it but I found it in an online article and tried it out. I was really happy how it turned out.

Hope this helps you.

Greg

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart@May 5 2005, 06:08 PM
Basically all you do is mask the area you want to paint.  Then using a regular old paintbrush, you brush water on and before it has a chance to dry you sprinkle regualr old table salt on the water.  Give it about a minute to dry then blow off the excess salt. 

It really is that simple.  If you don't like how the pattern turned out just rub the salt off and do it again.  Once you have the pattern you like just airbrush over it like normal. 

Once the paint is dry just rub the salt off with your finger and instant paint chips.

I wish I could take credit for it but I found it in an online article and tried it out.  I was really happy how it turned out.

Hope this helps you.

Greg
[snapback]981289[/snapback]​

Awesome work. Great Photos. Thanks for the cool tip as well. Keep up the good work.

Originally posted by SGluedMyFingers@May 23 2005, 09:49 PM
Ummm.  Is this kit still available?  Will it still be when I can save up the money?
[snapback]994471[/snapback]​

To my knowledge this kit is not being made anymore. Sorry :(

Greg

Originally posted by Jades Dark Heart+May 24 2005, 08:46 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jades Dark Heart @ May 24 2005, 08:46 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SGluedMyFingers
@May 23 2005, 09:49 PM
Ummm.   Is this kit still available?  Will it still be when I can save up the money?
[snapback]994471[/snapback]​

To my knowledge this kit is not being made anymore. Sorry :(

Greg
[snapback]994738[/snapback]​
[/b]

e-mailed mike: He says he suspects that the kit will be available again but he is unsure when. But, not discontinued or never to be made again.

GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. need to save for FM falcon and propmaker's TIE's (also heard somewthing about a Y-wing in the works WOO-HOO)

I didn't figure that a garage kit of this popularity and quality would simply be discontinued. Hell, mike just optained the masters. Why make a handful and then quit forever? Wouldn't make sense.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back