Catwoman From Batman Returns

WOoooow! Ok, I would been wandering the aisles of every fabric store in LA looking for whatever looks like each nail! Are the ends bent on certain pieces? Some I've never seen so I wouldn't know what they look like.

Lol

Nice meeting you Scott. I had the movie poster with just Michelle on my wall growing up.

Thank you.

Can you post any available pics you have... I don't see them any where. The set I've been looking at must not be original sets, as I can not see where the drywall nails fit in.

Scott, thanks! Those were the pictures I was referencing...
I don't see wher the drywall nail comes in.

I see screws above each "finger" what is that?

I have to ask... What was your initial inspiration when you first did them?

We're there a second "movie magic" set for the scene where they retract? That was my favorite part.

You have NO idea how obsessed I became with her costume and character... It was such an iconic role for me and really, the first time I fell in love with fashion.

Drywall screw is on the Left hand middle finger
The screws on top of the claw connecting the thimble to the claw are 4:40 set screws from mcmaster carr. They were used to simulate springs.

As far as the folding claws, I have told many this before but I will repeat it here again. The original designs for the claws were done by Pete Gerard , an amazing modelmaker, propmaker and artist,retired. (please do not try to contact him, respect his privacy) Pete did dozens of versions of the claws and they were a combination of Tim Burton and Petes ideas. In the end Tim picked ten claws out of the dozens made and those were the ones that Pete then made one folding set for the one shot where they open. I was hired to duplicate Petes claws both in metal and in rubber. I made approximately 8 sets of claws out of metal and 20 or so sets out of rubber. The set I currently own is an extra set that I made because as I would finish the original order they would ask for another so I made an extra in anticipation of them calling again. Fortunately for me they stopped after # 7 and I put the extra set in a box and forgot about them for years. After finding them again I decided to see if anyone was interested in seeing how they were made and I posted pics. I was shocked by the response. Im so happy that so many love the work Pete and I did and I cant thank you all enough for your questions and interest. I also want to thank Pete and Bob Ringwood for the opportunity.

best
s

Scott, thanks! Those were the pictures I was referencing...
I don't see wher the drywall nail comes in.

I see screws above each "finger" what is that?

I have to ask... What was your initial inspiration when you first did them?

We're there a second "movie magic" set for the scene where they retract? That was my favorite part.

You have NO idea how obsessed I became with her costume and character... It was such an iconic role for me and really, the first time I fell in love with fashion.

Last edited:
Hi, I love the claws they are awesome! Now I am attempting (hopefully successfully!) to make these, but I have a couple of questions. First, what is the claw made of on the right hand thumb? Second, what are the tiny L shaped things coming off most of the claws? Andthird, are all of the claws made with cuticle scissor blades? Some of them look a little lengthy to be them.

Hi, I love the claws they are awesome! Now I am attempting (hopefully successfully!) to make these, but I have a couple of questions. First, what is the claw made of on the right hand thumb? Second, what are the tiny L shaped things coming off most of the claws? Andthird, are all of the claws made with cuticle scissor blades? Some of them look a little lengthy to be them.

Hi Mista,

Glad you like them.

First, what is the claw made of on the right hand thumb?

They are Guitar finger picks.

Second, what are the tiny L shaped things coming off most of the claws?

That is actually a detail that was part of the working claws. It was a catch for the spring release mechanism. The fixed claws didnt need to open or close but the detail needed to be there to match.

Andthird, are all of the claws made with cuticle scissor blades? Some of them look a little lengthy to be them.

No.
They are made with a variety of items.
Guitar picks, Thimbles, Drywall screws, Horse Shoe nails (two sizes) , wire, set screws (in place of springs), brass stock, wire and button head allen bolts.The cuticle scissors are only on the left thumb.

cat_claws04.JPG cat_claws05.JPG

Ooooh, ok thank you, but by claw I meant specifically the bladess of the claws on the right index finger and thumb, am sure I am just overlooking it, but I cant seem to figure it out.

Last edited:
Hello Minieffects,
I find wonderful that you share your work about the claws you've made. I live in Wellington, New Zealand and I'm trying to be ready for the Armaggedon convention in mid-july, i already have my Catwoman cosplay but without the gloves&claws. I am starting that part now with the informations you put on this website. Thank you so SO much!

Hello Minieffects,
I find wonderful that you share your work about the claws you've made. I live in Wellington, New Zealand and I'm trying to be ready for the Armaggedon convention in mid-july, i already have my Catwoman cosplay but without the gloves&claws. I am starting that part now with the informations you put on this website. Thank you so SO much!
Hi Manga,

Im so sorry I missed this post. Ive been absent for some time. I hope you were able to complete your gloves and claws without too much trouble. Again sorry for the extremely late response.

Hi Manga,

Im so sorry I missed this post. Ive been absent for some time. I hope you were able to complete your gloves and claws without too much trouble. Again sorry for the extremely late response.
Here's a set of claws I recently finsihed tried to track down all the original parts I could,they're real metal all soldered together.
You made the claws for the films correct?
Are the molds for the rubber stung claws still around? I'd love to get ahold of those!!

Anyone interested in seeing more,follow my instagram @ petronepayton_sculpting

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-140256.png
    Screenshot_20210526-140256.png
    998.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20210526_141917_956.jpg
    IMG_20210526_141917_956.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20210526_141917_963.jpg
    IMG_20210526_141917_963.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 82
Here's a set of claws I recently finsihed tried to track down all the original parts I could,they're real metal all soldered together.
You made the claws for the films correct?
Are the molds for the rubber stung claws still around? I'd love to get ahold of those!!

Anyone interested in seeing more,follow my instagram @ petronepayton_sculpting
These look fantastic! Well done. The only comment I have is the one thing you wont be able to replicate and thats the paint finish. This is because the paint I used doesnt exist anymore. It was animation "opaquing fluid" used to black out areas of animation cells. It was alcohol base graphite paint and has long been discontinued in the US. Perhaps there is something out there in the world but it is quite toxic. The reason I used it is because you could spray it on with an airbrush in several coats and then buff it out with a soft cloth and give them a black chrome finish. But again , toxic. Basically your spraying graphite in an alcohol vehicle. So bad to breath. But the finish you could get is amazing.
The closest you can get i think is Testors buffing metalizer that works under the same principal that you spray several coats on then buff out with a soft cloth. Finding the specific graphite equivalent will be difficult. One other possibility is graphite conductive paint but I would research it first as I have not used this myself. As with anything like this always take every safety precaution both in use and clean up. Always wear PPE for eyes and respiratory protection and work in a well ventilated area.

Yes i worked on the film. Pete Gerard designed them and fabricated the one working set and I was responsible for making the "open" claws in both metal and stunt rubber. As I recall I made 8 sets of metal and at least 20 stunt sets.
Sadly no, the molds are long gone.

Again, well done . Thank you for sharing!

TThsn
These look fantastic! Well done. The only comment I have is the one thing you wont be able to replicate and thats the paint finish. This is because the paint I used doesnt exist anymore. It was animation "opaquing fluid" used to black out areas of animation cells. It was alcohol base graphite paint and has long been discontinued in the US. Perhaps there is something out there in the world but it is quite toxic. The reason I used it is because you could spray it on with an airbrush in several coats and then buff it out with a soft cloth and give them a black chrome finish. But again , toxic. Basically your spraying graphite in an alcohol vehicle. So bad to breath. But the finish you could get is amazing.
The closest you can get i think is Testors buffing metalizer that works under the same principal that you spray several coats on then buff out with a soft cloth. Finding the specific graphite equivalent will be difficult. One other possibility is graphite conductive paint but I would research it first as I have not used this myself. As with anything like this always take every safety precaution both in use and clean up. Always wear PPE for eyes and respiratory protection and work in a well ventilated area.

Yes i worked on the film. Pete Gerard designed them and fabricated the one working set and I was responsible for making the "open" claws in both metal and stunt rubber. As I recall I made 8 sets of metal and at least 20 stunt sets.
Sadly no, the molds are long gone.

Again, well done . Thank you for sharing!

Thanks so much! Huge honor coming from you!! And that's super interesting about the paint! I'll check that out for sure.
Thanks again,and love your work!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back