Catwoman costume (Batman Returns)

SailorEarth

6/20- I'm nearing the finish line on Supergirl so it's time to focus on Catwoman. I don't think I'll have the time to collect all the materials to do a head cast, sculpt and casting for the mask before D*C so I was wondering if anyone has any info on this cowl listed on Amazon?

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some information on Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman costume, the cowl in particular. I always thought it was the same material as the suit but now that I'm examining it closer it's starting to look more and more like it's sculpted. I found this article that talks about the stitches on the entire costume being cast rubber, but it makes no mention of the cowl. The reproduction was made from garment grade sheet rubber. I assume the original was also sheet rubber but it doesn't really specify. Forgive me, but is garment grade sheet rubber just a fancy term for latex or is this a different material?

In this shot it looks like the part that goes over the bridge of her nose conforms very well to the side of her nose. I would think if it were sheet latex it'd make a more or less straight line from the bridge of her nose to her cheek bone, leaving a gap where it doesn't touch the skin unless it's pieced where the stitch details are.

I've searched through several informative Catwoman threads but was unable to find one that specified what the cowl was made of. Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Catwoman's Cowl- Latex or Sculpted? (Batman Returns)

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I'm hoping to get some information on Michelle Pfeiffer's Catwoman costume, the cowl in particular. I always thought it was the same material as the suit but now that I'm examining it closer it's starting to look more and more like it's sculpted. I found this article that talks about the stitches on the entire costume being cast rubber, but it makes no mention of the cowl. The reproduction was made from garment grade sheet rubber. I assume the original was also sheet rubber but it doesn't really specify. Forgive me, but is garment grade sheet rubber just a fancy term for latex or is this a different material?

In this shot it looks like the part that goes over the bridge of her nose conforms very well to the side of her nose. I would think if it were sheet latex it'd make a more or less straight line from the bridge of her nose to her cheek bone, leaving a gap where it doesn't touch the skin unless it's pieced where the stitch details are.

I've searched through several informative Catwoman threads but was unable to find one that specified what the cowl was made of. Any help would be much appreciated.

If you can get your hands on a copy of the special 2 disk edition of Batman Returns, that's probably your best bet for info. But I too tend to believe it was sculpted. Good luck my fellow rouge.

Hi mate,

It was sculpted, then molded, then cast in foam latex (same as Batman's full costume. Not sure about the rest of the suit but I believe it was latex, no idea how it was made. A fellow bat fan on the Brotherhood and the cave recently let go of a production made catwoman mask and it was foam latex.

Greg

As everyone has already said it's foam Latex, suit was not though.
If your looking for this cowl/mask Reeves sculpted one that is about as accurate as it gets. ;)
Reevz666

Thanks for all the information, everyone! I'm only in the planning stages right now but I'll be sure to post project pictures when I get started.

The bodysuit was indeed latex rubber like something found in fetish shops. There where separate boots and gloves. A corset was worn over this. The cowl and all the stitching where sculpted and run in foam rubber. The stitching was then glued onto the suit like appliances. A member here was actually the guy who made the claws and he's got some great pictures. He gave me the list of materials used to make the claws and I made a set quick for a project but want to redo them and properly sauder them...

reevz666/Shawn Reeves is the man to go to for a cowl though! They're made in urethane so they'll last much longer and survive better than foam.

Here is one existing mask:
Lot Details
(There is one on ebay that has just ended, the ears didn't fill, so cute, looks like Mousewoman ;) )

And pieces for the met:
The Artistic Pursuits of Steve Diet Goedde: Catwoman

And more pieces in a thread here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/catwoman-batman-returns-style-enquiry-34086/

The corset was latex, I forget where but I have seen photos of it in progress (Syren also made Silk Spectre's corset and I defnitely have an inprogress photo of that..)

I'm not sure why but it looks more like the stitches and cowl were regular not foam latex. But then I may be prejudiced by my own experience with foam latex which has been to see in progress prosthetics rather than costume pieces- seems very fragile.

The second I get my head cast done I'm sculpting my own version :) I don't have Michelle's Pfeiffer's cheekbones (which are incredible) so I know I need to adapt it a little ;)

The bodysuit was indeed latex rubber like something found in fetish shops. There where separate boots and gloves. A corset was worn over this. The cowl and all the stitching where sculpted and run in foam rubber. The stitching was then glued onto the suit like appliances. A member here was actually the guy who made the claws and he's got some great pictures. He gave me the list of materials used to make the claws and I made a set quick for a project but want to redo them and properly sauder them...

reevz666/Shawn Reeves is the man to go to for a cowl though! They're made in urethane so they'll last much longer and survive better than foam.

I saw the thread where he'd posted pictures of the claws but all the pictures are gone now. I'd be interested in seeing them though, I hope he'll put them up again.

Here is one existing mask:
Lot Details
(There is one on ebay that has just ended, the ears didn't fill, so cute, looks like Mousewoman ;) )

And pieces for the met:
The Artistic Pursuits of Steve Diet Goedde: Catwoman

And more pieces in a thread here:
http://www.therpf.com/f24/catwoman-batman-returns-style-enquiry-34086/

The corset was latex, I forget where but I have seen photos of it in progress (Syren also made Silk Spectre's corset and I defnitely have an inprogress photo of that..)

I'm not sure why but it looks more like the stitches and cowl were regular not foam latex. But then I may be prejudiced by my own experience with foam latex which has been to see in progress prosthetics rather than costume pieces- seems very fragile.

The second I get my head cast done I'm sculpting my own version :) I don't have Michelle's Pfeiffer's cheekbones (which are incredible) so I know I need to adapt it a little ;)

I'd like to sculpt my own cowl, too. I do worry about the foam latex degrading over time so I'll probably be looking into the materials Shawn Reeves uses. I may skip the latex on the suit as well and use a 4 way stretch PVC like this MJTrends: Black Stretch PVC Fabric

here is the display I did, I used PVC for the suit, corest, gloves, and boots,

Shawns cowl is indeed amazing, also if you can get your hands on one of the MOrris costume cowls from '92, with a little tweaking you can get it like this one!!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was able to examine a real suit and the 1st thing I noticed was that they padded her rear end with a built in appliance. I had to laugh at that as you wouldn't think about it while watching the movie.

Shawns cowl is indeed amazing, also if you can get your hands on one of the MOrris costume cowls from '92, with a little tweaking you can get it like this one!!!

That looks fantastic. The "Reevz" one looks nice as well but quite large.

Very nice! Are the stitches on your display suit cast rubber or are they actual stitches?

nice post good reading i have just complete a catwoman mask start to finish in latex with stitching etc here is a pic its moulded in black latex . thanks

249323_10150416891198849_613323848_10709339_8122390_n.jpg

Summoning this thread back from the dead.

Does anyone know how good this Catwoman cowl is on Amazon? It looks nice in the photo but I was hoping someone had firsthand experience they could share.

Also, these boots look pretty darn close to what I need from what I can tell from screenshots. I don't think she had silver hardware for the lacing holes though.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back