Catwoman - Adam Hughes Style!

TheLadyNerd

Salutations all!

I'm working on putting together a Catwoman photoshoot for July, but am needing help with the costume side of things. For the shoot itself, we're going with a very Adam Hughes feel. (Ideally, we hope to go for a narrative, showing Selina Kyle conducting a full cat burglary vs. the same ol' costume portraiture).) Here's some inspiration pictures to give you an idea of the look and feel we're going for...

For Catwoman's costume I want to go with a suit along the lines of Darwyn Cooke's/Adam Hughes costume design. If I could get an even more realistic edge (ala Uma Thurman's costume in the Avengers with the piping/suit structure), that'd be even better! Unfortunately my brain is about to explode from trying to figure out what catsuit to get. I'm wanting a more matte finish than shiny (though I'm not sure if it's the same as the "wet look"). Like this... I'm not sure where I can find that. All I keep running into are very very shiny PVC suits. Help?!

But in the costume style in the above photos (with the O-ring zipper and bug-eyed goggles).

Hopefully, if all pulls together an evening gown for our favourite diamond thief may also be in order. ;)

Last edited:
Can anyone recommend a good place to get a suit like pictured above? I'm only running into shiny PVC suits or spandex zentai suits.

Can't wait to see what you get done, AH draws Catwoman THE BEST. As for the catsuit you could try emailing this site . They do all sorts of suits and I know they have black matte vinyl on hand.

There have been a few builds here and you might want to look at the forums: Brotherhood of the Bat, and League of Heroes. My wife had luck from Heroes in Tights, but that has been a few years. From photos I have seen of their work I think the hood would work better with a small head size. It was a good fit for my wife, but she wears a toddlers ballcap.

Bonded Hawk

Laamberry - Actually the first suit on that website doesn't look too far off what I'm looking for. (I guess the "wet look" is the proper terminology) Black matte vinyl...got it! Thanks so much!

Bonded Hawk - Forgive my ignorance, but I take it those forum groups (Brotherhood of the Bat, League of Heroes, etc.) are outside of the RPF? Actually, that might work alright for me then. I have a child's size head. So thanks for that tip!

Bizarro Lois - Those are both fantastic threads (I've been reading over the first one actually). The goggles in the second link are EXACTLY what I'm looking for, so I'll just mosey on over and read up on the posts. Thank you so much!

TheLadyNerd, well, I want so much to replicate Gotham Public Works catwoman costume with little addings to comic accurate look.
Well, as I know, her costume was custom made by Trashy Lingerie
they site:
trashy.com

Their costumes made from coated spandex, liquid metal spandex, faux leather/pleather.

I'm back at it again! So here's the update...

1) I've got a friend who's graciously making the suit for me, but it's on me to find the material. I was going to go with a 4-way stretch matte spandex, but of course, Spandex World is sold out. I'm still wanting the look of that Emma Peel-leatheresque costume in my first post. Anyone know here I can find afforable fabric to mimic that look? (I was considering latex, but then I hear latex is much harder to work with regular fabric and I imagine it can't be sewn like spandex.)

2) How in the world would I make those goggles? (You'll have to forgive me, I'm still very much a newbie in the props department). I'm still debating what colour lenses to go with as well, as half of the pictures I see of Catwoman she has red or blue lenses. Thoughts?

3) Any tips/tricks on making good ears for the cowl? I see many a floppy-eared Catwoman cosplayer (or the ears just aren't cat-shaped). Of course, if I had the money, I'd just buy one of ReevFX's beautiful cowls, but alas, I'm a wee bit of a poor costumer.

4) I want to custom design the suit a wee bit to try to play up/play down some of my proportions (as my lower half is significantly bigger than my upper half). I've been admiring Katie Cosplays version of Black Cat and how she was able to redesign the basic black suit into something more movie quality, but also flattering to her body shape. Obviously, I don't want to copy her exactly, but do any of you have ideas as to other ways I could design the lines/piping on the suit to flatter a body shape with a tiny ribcage and rather ample lower body?

5) I'm going to switch out the boots to a longer, leaner pair (preferably with low boot heels) to be more flattering to my legs, as the ones in the design would make my legs look even shorter than the small inseam they are! Hopefully that doesn't mess with the integrity of the design TOO much.

6) I'm on the hunt for a bullwhip at the moment. I've seen a ton on ebay, but I'm not sure from pictures, which are the right size. I'm looking to stay as cheap as possible.

The only way I know to get that real shiny look is to get a latex catsuit, but they're very expensive, usually need to be made to measure and can be uncomfortable to wear for long periods. Also have to be wary of latex allergies. If all that's not a put-off though, I know a lot of manufacturers that do good work - mostly cater to the *cough* fetish crowds *cough*, but there are people doing awesome latex for cosplay, like this EDI, which blows my socks right off :p

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back