Catching Fire Peacekeeper costume

Redarm

Hi everybody!

I recently have decided to (at least attempt to) make a Peacekeeper outfit for the Mocking Jay part 2 premier at my local theater (sometime in November). Peacekeepers-armored.jpg_1406175007.jpgthe-hunger-games-catching-fire-trailer-screenshot-capitol-peacekeepers.jpgcfstill9d11katpeacekeepers.jpg

I am planning to make this out of EVA foam and craft foam. I am pretty new to these but from the amount of experience I have with these materials, I think this will come together rather well.

Any tips, or even better reference photos will be very helpful!
(also this is my first time posting a thread on the RPF so any advice will be appreciated)

Thanks!

UPDATE!

Hi again, I've been working on some small sketches and ideas, and I thought I may as well post something.

0406151302a.jpg0406151302.jpg

This is my test helmet I made a few weeks ago.

my problems with this helmet, is it doesn't really cover my ears all the way, and that test visor is right up against my nose.

I'll be making a good visor for this since this will probably be the one that I use (because I don't like the second one I made and I don't want to use all my foam on test helmets)
by "good visor" I mean I'll be getting a new piece of plastic and covering it with window tint film.

That's all for now! ill be posting more pics and updates here and there later on.

Ok so I have not been posting as much as I should. But I do keep a better record on twitter @Redarmleader

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so glad I found this! My gf and I are planning a hunger games couples cosplay for Baltimore comic con in sept. I just drafted out a template for the chest plate. I plan on using EVA foam as well. I was also thinking about buying worbla and wrapping the chest in it to get the ribbed effect. But i may just use eva after seeing this! Its looking good! Im not on these forums much or twitter do you have an instagram you post this to or maybe facebook?

I don't know if you're going a different direction for the chestplate, or if you would want a tip, but for the more organic look of the ridges, one thing you could try is something like what Durkness shows here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47ZV534lZo

And you would do kind of a valley-mountain-valley cut to make it pucker up where each line is. Kinda like -

valleymountainvalley.JPG
Don't know if that would help, if you want to test it out. I do like the look of the direction you're going, though, with the strips.

I don't know if you're going a different direction for the chestplate, or if you would want a tip, but for the more organic look of the ridges, one thing you could try is something like what Durkness shows here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b47ZV534lZo

And you would do kind of a valley-mountain-valley cut to make it pucker up where each line is. Kinda like -

View attachment 509725
Don't know if that would help, if you want to test it out. I do like the look of the direction you're going, though, with the strips.

I've been messing around with that technique and it looks like it could turn out nicely!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    850.9 KB · Views: 194
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    872 KB · Views: 221
I've been messing around with that technique and it looks like it could turn out nicely!

That does look pretty nice. Will save you on the cost of Worbla. I bet it'll be tough adjusting for the shortening of the length, though, since it's basically like an accordion folding up.

Redarm, were you going to sand down the edges of the foam strips on your chest piece to round them out, or leave them with hard edges? The hard edged look actually gives a pretty cool sci-fi armored look.

CollinE83, that's an awesome idea! Thanks for the link. I would try it out, but I'm already slacking on my work. The ribs (as I call them) for the chest piece (and probably the back as well) I left the bottom half hard-edged and I took a dremel to angle the top half, I wanted something with a curve.

Harding29, that's awesome! I would love to see your progress, I made a Facebook page today (spur of the moment, but it's up) "Redarm Props" for lack of a better title.

I appreciate the input and tips, it helps me out since I couldn't find anything on a peacekeeper costume.

Harding29, if you do the valley-mountain-valley thing, just measure out a length of foam, then after you make the ridge, measure how long your piece of foam is, that should tell you how much you'll have to compensate for. At least that's how I would do it.

Snapchat-3523127788673316063.jpg20151119_182243.jpgreceived_1164823423545089.jpeg20151119_182243.jpgreceived_1164823210211777.jpegreceived_1164823473545084.jpeg

So the premier was last night, and I was quite pleased with the movie. The costume got as far as I could get it which leaves some gaps, but whatever. I had fun with the build, and I'm somewhat satisfied with the product that I put out.

Next couple projects will be a lightsaber for december, and a deadpool mask for February. There are things in both of those that are new to me so I can't wait to learn more :)

If you would like to keep watching me do stuff, my Facebook is Redarm Props. And my Twitter is @Redarmleader.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back