CATCH ALL Luke Skywalker costume showoff thread.

Here is mine.

Since the outfit needs to look sleek and I had it when the shirt starts to become untucked from movement, I had mine made as a one piece jump suit.

The main piece is made froM 100% worsted wool gabardine suiting material.

Early 2001. This is when I first received it. I had it made and sent to me. For not having an actual fitting, it turned out pretty well. I made the belt myself. It does have the gray panel under the flap. The boots are actually women boots. I wear a size 8.5 so a size 10 fits. I noticed there were a lot of cheap priced leather boots out there that for women. It was just a matter of finding a pair with unisex style heel and sole. The nice think about these is that they had an inside zipper so it helped give that fitted calf look without having to go to an expensive riding boot.
mylukerotjcos3.jpg

This is later in 2001. I had the vest made by JK2 (remember them?) from 100% raw silk. I am told this is what the real one was made from. It looks very good in person. You can't tell but I had the suit fitted to tailor closer to my frame (chest, shoulder, arms, etc..)
myrotjvest.JPG

SDCC 2002. By this time I had also had the collar replaced. It was not laying right against the next. I had it replaced with one cut on the bias to allow it to wrap to the natural curve of my neck. I also was able to pick up a pair of clearanced rubber riding boots. I think I preferred the ladies boots better. I probably need the obi shortened. Not sure I did not wear the belt. I guess I felt I needed to wear the hilt and the only hilt I had was the hero. The tri-ring is on the same side as the control box and that will dig into the leg. Plus that tri-ring and and that hook do not go very well together.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_16b9.jpg

I still have the outfit but 2002 was the last time I wore it. I have a cape I made around 1995 but it before we knew about the brown color and it's just main from a common found cape pattern. Nothing really special.

Last edited:
Here is mine.

Since the outfit need to look sleek and Ihad it when the shirt starts to become untucked from movement, I had mine made as a one piece jump suit.

The main piece is made fro 100% worsted wool gabardine suiting material.

Early 2001. This is when I first receive it. I had it made and sent to me. For not having an actual fitting, it turned out pretty well. I made the belt myself. It does have the gray panel under the flap. The boots are actually women boots. I wear a size 8.5 so a size 10 fits. I noticed there were a lot of cheap priced leather boots out there that for women. It was just a matter of finding a pair with unisex style heel and sole. The nice think about these is that they had an inside zipper so it helped give that fitted calf look without having to go to an expensive riding boot.
View attachment 1013217

This is later in 2001. I had the vest made by JK2 (remember them?) from 100% raw silk. I am told this is what the real one was made from. It looks very good in person. You can't tell but I had the suit fitted to tailor closer to my frame (chest, shoulder, arms, etc..)
View attachment 1013218

SDCC 2002. By this time I had also had the collar replaced. It was not laying right against the next. I had it replaced with one cut on the bias to allow it to wrap to the natural curve of my neck. I also was able to pick up a pair of clearanced rubber riding boots. I think I preferred the ladies boots better. I probably need the obi shortened. Not sure I did not wear the belt. I guess I felt I needed to wear the hilt and the only hilt I had was the hero. The tri-ring is on the same side as the control box and that will dig into the leg. Plus that tri-ring and and that hook do not go very well together.
View attachment 1013216

I still have the outfit but 2002 was the last time I wore it. I have a cape I made around 1995 but it before we knew about the brown color and it's just main from a common found cape pattern. Nothing really special.

Very cool to see your face!

I’m a pretty big fan of Joanne’s and Michaels. But that’s all I’ve ever had locally so I don’t know what I’m missing

I guess I should have qualified that by specifying that my local Joann's and Michaels aren't great, LOL. :lol: Like the majority of all the stores in my town. The selection tends to be terrible. Not very much attention is given to stores up here in Montucky...

Shoes are very hard to find for me being a size 13, I have done very little searching for riding boots in my size and have zero luck

:(

Smaller feet have it easier

If anyone has a source for large size boots please share

I will say, I've seen one Etsy vendor pop up prolifically in my results whenever I've searched for vintage black riding boots there, and they might be worth a look: Vintage Soviet Russian Chrome Officer Riding Boots Size 47 (EU 48, US 14)

Their main storefront: Antigua House

I've seen wide calf and extra-large sizes in their inventory - that single listing I linked up there is a size 14, bruh. :eek: (Yeah, they ship from Ukraine, but don't let that one listing scare you off, not all of their boots are that pricey.)

I guess I should have qualified that by specifying that my local Joann's and Michaels aren't great, LOL. :lol: Like the majority of all the stores in my town. The selection tends to be terrible. Not very much attention is given to stores up here in Montucky...

I will say, I've seen one Etsy vendor pop up prolifically in my results whenever I've searched for vintage black riding boots there, and they might be worth a look: Vintage Soviet Russian Chrome Officer Riding Boots Size 47 (EU 48, US 14)

Their main storefront: Antigua House

I've seen wide calf and extra-large sizes in their inventory - that single listing I linked up there is a size 14, bruh. :eek: (Yeah, they ship from Ukraine, but don't let that one listing scare you off, not all of their boots are that pricey.)

Wicked!!! Thank you very much!!

I also love michaels because I’m poor and love their coupon system!!

Here is where I'm at for my Empire pilot Luke.
20190617_124232.jpg
20190617_123829~2.jpg
20190617_124108.jpg
20190617_124147.jpg
20190617_123249~2.jpg
20190617_123343~2.jpg
20190617_123146~2.jpg
20190617_123641~2.jpg
20190617_124431~2.jpg
20190617_123441~2.jpg

The coveralls are a size bigger for comfort so that is why they are a bit baggy. I finished weathering the jacket and vest today and I still need to aquire the leg flares, blaster, nuns cap and helmet. I have decided to go with Hasbro's helmet and have it on order. But the boots I have are the cheap Chinese cosplay one. They SUCK major nuts! I plan on getting the pair from Imperialboots.com. lastly my leg flare holder needs adjusted to fit better.

Either I might size down on the coveralls or pin them under the boots so they are not so baggy.

What do you think? Am I heading in the right direction? And suggestions?

Thanks for looking.

I love the weathering on your jacket! Are you going to weather the coveralls too?

Thank you. Sometimes the simplest methods are the best. All I did was spray paint it and the vest.

I'm not sure on the coveralls yet. I may buy a new pair a size smaller. What do you think? Baggy or not baggy?

Personally I think the fit is perfect. To my eye the coveralls from the movie were a bit looser fitting.

Personally I think the fit is perfect. To my eye the coveralls from the movie were a bit looser fitting.

My thought as well. I thought they were too baggy but it seems they work! I can go ahead and weather them. But before I do it appears they are less weathered then the jack so should I weather them to match the jacket or do less?

Thank you for your input it sure helps.

I did a second suit up with a couple of adjustments. I placed the harness under the jack. I had it over because I did not have a way to secure it under the jacket. But the belt and the loop on the vest(fed through the coat where it velcroes.) Solved that! And fitted the leg flare holder tighter with velcroe.

20190617_145748~2.jpg
20190617_145506~2.jpg
20190617_150242.jpg
20190617_145029~2.jpg
20190617_144521~2.jpg
20190617_144923~2.jpg

Happy to help! It looks great. I would say go lighter on the weathering then but they definitely look too new otherwise. Great costume!

I only have one hard copy photo left from this con and I don't have a means to scan it.

Hey ThreadSketch ! Your local public library should have a scanner. Bring along a USB Drive to save it to, or temporarily save it to their computer and email it to yourself, then delete it from their computer.

If not, there's Kinko's(aka FedEx Office), UPS Store, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples, local camera store, etc., etc..

Should only cost a buck or two at most if that.

If they have editting software where you go for you scan, have them help you add a feathered-edge, oval, white mask. Then print it out 10x12 and drop it in a frame, and hang it up by the photo of your great grandmother! Wood panelling or not, it''ll still make an epic pair of photos!

Great jobs on the costumes to all!

Hey Halliwax ! Todd's Costumes used to have size 13 Han Solo boots.

You might try something like these...

Tell me these wouldn't make some wicked Obi-Wan Mythos boots!....

Hey ThreadSketch ! Your local public library should have a scanner. Bring along a USB Drive to save it to, or temporarily save it to their computer and email it to yourself, then delete it from their computer.

If not, there's Kinko's(aka FedEx Office), UPS Store, OfficeMax, OfficeDepot, Staples, local camera store, etc., etc..

Should only cost a buck or two at most if that.

If they have editting software where you go for you scan, have them help you add a feathered-edge, oval, white mask. Then print it out 10x12 and drop it in a frame, and hang it up by the photo of your great grandmother! Wood panelling or not, it''ll still make an epic pair of photos!

I haven't quite worked up the cajones to scan it at work. :p

We actually don't have much left in the way of office supply stores here in this town, and other locations are a bit of a pain to get to - not impossible, just out of the way, as I'm a bus commuter and don't drive. Lot of effort for one photo, lol. I just purchased an updated digital camera that came in the mail a few days ago, I just need to get a memory card for it. I'd probably settle for taking a picture of a picture. :lol: I still have an old version of Photoshop hanging around, so that takes care of touch-ups.

It's nothing spectacular anyway, nothing I didn't already show here, just a nice memory of me and Kay Dee posing together.

Awesome job on the Pumpkin Spice Skywalker, vader45! :D(y)

Thank you for the comment! I have been working on this costume for 1.5 years and I'm glad someone appreciates it!
Absolutely! There is nothing more satisfying than completing a costume that's taken years to assemble/ collect parts for. The effort shows man. Great X-Wing pilot Luke!

Yeah it's incredible how much detail gets washed out even in a standard bright room. Imagine all the details that get washed out under the hot stage lights of a film set! That's why they typically go heavy on the distressing and weathering of a costume because most of that fine detail won't even show up otherwise. Even then I was shocked when I saw the costumes in person on exhibit in NYC. All that detail that simply can't be photographed unless you have a great camera and even better photographic eye to capture it. It's astounding.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back