CATCH ALL Luke Skywalker costume showoff thread.

vader45

Sr Member
EDIT: I'm changing this thread to a catch all for all Luke costumes so we do not make to many threads on one character. I have a new Like costume to share. Check latest post

This thread is to show off ROTJ Luke Costumes.

Don't mind my messy hair. I have a bad callic in the front that takes forever to sit right.

My rig consists of the Museum Replicas soft parts($450) but the glove is custom made from England(80 dollars!). I don't remember the guy who made my belt but he's in Italy($175). The boots are the old stock Russians officer boots($100) and the most expensive piece, LDM MK-VI lightsaber($806). My investment is $1,611.

And asking for advice. Do any of you think the pants need taken in some?

Thanks for looking .
20190318_165206~3.jpg
20190318_163310~2.jpg
20190318_164215~2.jpg
20190318_164949~2.jpg
20190318_165519~2.jpg

Last edited:
Sent mines back to clothears for a minor alteration. Bit loose round neck

Attachments

• 415BDE3F-906E-41EA-8DFF-ABB418645F1B.jpeg
    415BDE3F-906E-41EA-8DFF-ABB418645F1B.jpeg
    343.7 KB · Views: 741
Sent mines back to clothears for a minor alteration. Bit loose round neck
I always loved their version of the Kimono. The off black color is spot on. I am going to upgrade to that. But I'm keeping the Museum shirt for lightweight comfortability.

I got my pants back from the seamtress .I also had them dry cleaned and pressed. What do you think?

Man I have never found a single star wars costume comfortable! Even tailored this costume isn't the most comfortable. Then again I hate tight clothing! Lol

20190401_155930~2.jpg
20190401_154306~2.jpg
20190401_154216~2.jpg
20190401_154352~3.jpg

I’m catching up, your pants look much better! Amazing what a little tailoring can do!!

Any advice for the Jedi vest/tunic?

I’m catching up, your pants look much better! Amazing what a little tailoring can do!!

Any advice for the Jedi vest/tunic?

I'm sorry I just saw this. Do you mean you're looking for a costume for you or are you referring to my Kimono for my costume?

Full disclosure first: I'm the customer mentioned in this thread. Y'all can judge me real hard for that, let's get that out of the way.

OK, judging done? Let's proceed. :p These are the photos I took for that eBay auction, ironically. (Please excuse my incredibly crappy camera.) Things were also wrinkly from storage back then.

P5070024.jpg

P5070017.jpg

P5070025.jpg

P5070027.jpg

P5070030.jpg

hhhrrnnnnggggg sexy boots

P5070031.jpg

P5070040.jpg

P5070046.jpg

P5110012.jpg

P5110011.jpg

There's even more photos, but I think this is enough. I included that last one because it shows how much care went into the details - that's the interior side of the obi sash; since it had a subtle curve, the little arrow indicated how I should properly don it to avoid having it look wonky. Not screen-accurate, but very helpful. :D When I dug these photos up again last year, seeing this one made me cry.

This was the costume researched on this page from Kay Dee Costumes. At the time I couldn't afford the genuine fabrics, so I opted for cotton twill and a linen that was close in texture and color to the vest. Looking back on this now, I can easily admit several inaccuracies:

• The cloak is much more prequel-styled than ROTJ-appropriate; the hood is way oversized. I didn't pay attention to that at the time because I was too thrilled just to find a very slubby, loosely-woven, semi-sheer wool fabric and then to have a friend and her mother sew it for free. I still think it's a beautiful cloak overall, I'm just aware now that the shape of the hood is incorrect.
  • I had the pants done separately, as Kay Dee mentioned, by a local tailor in my NJ neighborhood. The fit was great, but back then I was clueless about the riding seam, gusset, and tuxedo piping, so those are missing.
  • The weathering on the belt buckle isn't right for this particular belt; it should have been much more blackened. However, I still liked that it was acid-weathered and I appreciate the aesthetic.
  • Due to said crappy camera, the interior of the breast flap looks white, but I can assure you it was a light gray. However, I think I chose a smooth fabric; I know now it should have more of a linen-like texture.
To this day I'm still kicking myself (pun semi-intended) over parting with those boots - it's well-nigh impossible for a shortypants like me to find equestrian boots with a 15"-15.5" tall shaft maximum. I don't remember how I managed to find that pair, but it likely wasn't an easy search. The vast majority of riding boots, even for women, seem to start at minimum 17", which would leave me unable to bend my leg. (I'm only 5'3".) Granted, I've only searched in recent years for used/vintage boots.

I venture it's inappropriate for me to repost images from Kay's site en masse, so I'll only leave a couple here so you have an idea of how this looked on me circa 2006, and link the rest of them from these pages here and here. (I saved most of these to my computer just for posterity's sake, though I'm very grateful Kay Dee's kept her site up all these years. I only have one hard copy photo left from this con and I don't have a means to scan it.)

IMG_5235.jpg

IMG_4270.jpg

(Just try to ignore the fact that I look like Julie Andrews from the neck up.) :lol: :p :lol:

Full disclosure first: I'm the customer mentioned in this thread. Y'all can judge me real hard for that, let's get that out of the way.

OK, judging done? Let's proceed. :p These are the photos I took for that eBay auction, ironically. (Please excuse my incredibly crappy camera.) Things were also wrinkly from storage back then.

View attachment 1012800

View attachment 1012801

View attachment 1012802

View attachment 1012803

View attachment 1012804

hhhrrnnnnggggg sexy boots

View attachment 1012807

View attachment 1012813

View attachment 1012814

View attachment 1012815

View attachment 1012816

There's even more photos, but I think this is enough. I included that last one because it shows how much care went into the details - that's the interior side of the obi sash; since it had a subtle curve, the little arrow indicated how I should properly don it to avoid having it look wonky. Not screen-accurate, but very helpful. :D When I dug these photos up again last year, seeing this one made me cry.

This was the costume researched on this page from Kay Dee Costumes. At the time I couldn't afford the genuine fabrics, so I opted for cotton twill and a linen that was close in texture and color to the vest. Looking back on this now, I can easily admit several inaccuracies:

• The cloak is much more prequel-styled than ROTJ-appropriate; the hood is way oversized. I didn't pay attention to that at the time because I was too thrilled just to find a very slubby, loosely-woven, semi-sheer wool fabric and then to have a friend and her mother sew it for free. I still think it's a beautiful cloak overall, I'm just aware now that the shape of the hood is incorrect.
  • I had the pants done separately, as Kay Dee mentioned, by a local tailor in my NJ neighborhood. The fit was great, but back then I was clueless about the riding seam, gusset, and tuxedo piping, so those are missing.
  • The weathering on the belt buckle isn't right for this particular belt; it should have been much more blackened. However, I still liked that it was acid-weathered and I appreciate the aesthetic.
To this day I'm still kicking myself (pun semi-intended) over parting with those boots - it's well-nigh impossible for a shortypants like me to find equestrian boots with a 15"-15.5" tall shaft maximum. I don't remember how I managed to find that pair, but it likely wasn't an easy search. The vast majority of riding boots, even for women, seem to start at minimum 17", which would leave me unable to bend my leg. (I'm only 5'3".) Granted, I've only searched in recent years for used/vintage boots.

I venture it's inappropriate for me to repost images from Kay's site en masse, so I'll only leave a couple here so you have an idea of how this looked on me circa 2006, and link the rest of them from these pages here and here. (I saved most of these to my computer just for posterity's sake, though I'm very grateful Kay Dee's kept her site up all these years. I only have one hard copy photo left from this con and I don't have a means to scan it.)

View attachment 1012820

View attachment 1012821

(Just try to ignore the fact that I look like Julie Andrews from the neck up.) :lol: :p :lol:

Amazing a job!! I always wanted this costume, you did an excellent job. My favorite part is the vest

Also love your walls, I rock the same paneling! ;)

Ah yes, 80s NJ duplex wall paneling. :lol:

Kay Dee did the amazing job, not I - she did an incredible and invaluable amount of research on this to accomplish it. I only purchased the fabrics in Manhattan and sent them out to her in CA, and she did muslins first and shipped those out to me to try on before making the final garments. She mentions on her page that she had to make a compromise or two based on my size and the amount of fabric I was able to buy, but otherwise she tried to get as close as possible. I do love the color of that linen I selected, I think it was spot-on (though I think she faded it even more with additional washing/sanding block "aging.")

Ah yes, 80s NJ duplex wall paneling. :lol:

Kay Dee did the amazing job, not I - she did an incredible and invaluable amount of research on this to accomplish it. I only purchased the fabrics in Manhattan and sent them out to her in CA, and she did muslins first and shipped those out to me to try on before making the final garments. She mentions on her page that she had to make a compromise or two based on my size and the amount of fabric I was able to buy, but otherwise she tried to get as close as possible. I do love the color of that linen I selected, I think it was spot-on (though I think she faded it even more with additional washing/sanding block "aging.")

Wonderful choices!

This is why I miss having the NYC garment district available just a bus ride away over the Hudson... :( :lol:

(Not just for costuming, I miss the beads and notions stores too - so much more cost-effective than Joann's or Michael's when you can buy the exact quantity you need, plus an endless selection. My mother has hand-embroidered and beaded denim jackets for me since I was 4 years old, and I wish I could get her the stuff I used to be able to get my hands on. She actually did a SW jacket for me not too long ago. :D But I digress.)

Seriously, if anyone has suggestions on where to look for leather riding boots in specialty sizing, lemme know. I recently nabbed a cheap pair from Etsy, but I'm compromising accuracy for fit again.

I’m a pretty big fan of Joanne’s and Michaels. But that’s all I’ve ever had locally so I don’t know what I’m missing

I want to build this one day, that’s why you’ll see me pop in and out of here. But Wouldn’t mind being able to wear it as well

Shoes are very hard to find for me being a size 13, I have done very little searching for riding boots in my size and have zero luck

:(

Smaller feet have it easier

If anyone has a source for large size boots please share

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back