casting

I think your question needs some more detail. What do you want to cast, and why don't you want to use resin?

Yeah agree with Hez here. The choices are unlimited due to the properties of the casting that you want.

What molds you got? Did you make the helmet? Do you mean you want to sculpt it? do you mean make molds then cast? I hope you're not talking about re-casting
If you already have spent a lot time and money on making the molds, resin isn't all that expensive compare to silicone...
Resin, Gel Coat, Plaster, Paper mache, Bondo, epoxy and many other tons of casting material that is soft then becomes hard after combining with something.

have you tried the pepakura method of using some resin and bondo to make the helmet? tell people more about your project.

I'm presently using Jesmonite which is a water soluble latex based compound mixed with a powder as an alternative to resin. Much safer, doesn't knock you out with fumes but more expensive and slightly heavier per m2.
Works great but the only thing I miss about resin is the ability to slightly re-shape a resin cast before it sets properly. For me, if Jesmonite did this it would be perfect.

Well, you could always try a rondo mix (fiberglass resin and bondo). You'd be looking at maybe $25 material costs.

I'm still not sure I fully understand though, is this a helmet that you own, and want to cast (if so, why are you casting it)? Is it purely a design that you're either going to copy, or come up with yourself? How do you plan on making the original, if that's what you're going to do?

Talk of casting means molding, and if you can't afford resin, have you even considered the cost of silicone? Even using silicone caulking will probably be around $30. Then your mother mold...

Try fully explaining the situation, and then I'm quite sure that someone here has done it before, and will be able to tell you exactly what they did and what they used.

Well, you could always try a rondo mix (fiberglass resin and bondo). You'd be looking at maybe $25 material costs.

I'm still not sure I fully understand though, is this a helmet that you own, and want to cast (if so, why are you casting it)? Is it purely a design that you're either going to copy, or come up with yourself? How do you plan on making the original, if that's what you're going to do?

Talk of casting means molding, and if you can't afford resin, have you even considered the cost of silicone? Even using silicone caulking will probably be around $30. Then your mother mold...

Try fully explaining the situation, and then I'm quite sure that someone here has done it before, and will be able to tell you exactly what they did and what they used.
i never sculpted the mold in the first place, but now the pepakura idea is good

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back