casting resin - help needed

troggs

I've just done a couple of resin pulls of my bio sculpt using easy flow 120, my problem is getting the edges of the cheek areas and under the mouth to have enough thickness to them, especially as under the mouth is upside down when in the mould. I've spoken to mouldlife, they say use polyfibre or cabosil added to a mix and brush on after to strengthen the weak areas. I thought I would ask you guys that are more experienced than me if this casting problem is normal, or am I doing something basic wrong? (I did think of casting the bio in sections, such as face first, then the crown, but didn't know if the sections would bond well enough.) Any help would be greatly appreciated, cheers.

Casting in sections is the best way to go I find, the resin bonds very well to itself. I don't know what polyfibre and cabosil are, but I assume some kind of filler. Filler is useful if you want to thicken the resin a little for slushing, as it can make it a little easier to control. It also helps to have some disposable chip brushes on hand to brush the resin around after it starts to thicken up in the mold. I do this with several bios that are a little awkward to cast in parts. The eyes on the celtic come to mind.

Thanks Hez, I'll try casting my next one in sections, polyfibre and cabosil are filler powders, so I may add them to the resin as well.

i as well cast in sections. helps to see how thick you are doing it as well. when i cast i pretty much hold the mold the entire time. this way i can keep it on all angles as needed. very rarely do i let it sit on a table while curing.

nope. i use just the resin by itself. well besides throwing in fiberglass matting. the resin use cures in a couple minutes.

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back