Casting plaster figurines

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.

ewige

So I'm hoping to start doing some casting of plaster figurines soon, but this will be my first venture into any sort of molding/casting in like 20 years, and my first ever adventure with plaster casting at all, so...

What is the preferred method for molding and casting plaster figurines (say, about 11.5" x 3" x 3"? I was thinking of two-piece molding it in silicone, but I wasn't sure whether solid block backed with resin or shell mold with a resin mother mold would be better, or if there's another, better way? I would want to be able to make many many plaster casts from this mold, so it need to be quality materials.

I've followed a lot of mold-making threads on here, but largely they are for larger pieces like helmets, busts, and props, and almost none would be in plaster, so I thought I'd just see what sort of experience folks have had. Thanks!

Don't want to see this ad? Sign up for anRPF Premium Membershiptoday. Support the community. Stop the ads.