Casting plaster figurines

ewige

So I'm hoping to start doing some casting of plaster figurines soon, but this will be my first venture into any sort of molding/casting in like 20 years, and my first ever adventure with plaster casting at all, so...

What is the preferred method for molding and casting plaster figurines (say, about 11.5" x 3" x 3"? I was thinking of two-piece molding it in silicone, but I wasn't sure whether solid block backed with resin or shell mold with a resin mother mold would be better, or if there's another, better way? I would want to be able to make many many plaster casts from this mold, so it need to be quality materials.

I've followed a lot of mold-making threads on here, but largely they are for larger pieces like helmets, busts, and props, and almost none would be in plaster, so I thought I'd just see what sort of experience folks have had. Thanks!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.