Casting Molds from Foam Props

PlanetAlexander

Hey all, new here.

I'm starting to really get into foamsmithing and at some point (when I can afford it), I would like to be making molds for my projects. I have done a bit of research but I can't find much on how to make molds from foam. I have found something called mold putty, but I'm not sure how well it will work with foam. Has anybody got any knowledge of how to make molds from foam props? I'm sure it's been asked heaps but I'm just not finding anything.

Thanks

You might want to run some tests. I have poured silicone over foam with mixed results. Some peeled right off, and other times it bit in enough to tear the foam. Ideally, you want to seal the foam before attempting any mold making.

Foam is super porous and should be sealed very heavily. No cracks, crevices, or bare foam should be seen or touched by the silicone. This never ended well for me. I’ve been molding and casting things for years and tried foam a few years ago and it didn’t take me very long to end up with a pile of destroyed foam masters, and bad molds. I’ve learned that if you heat seal the foam, and then apply 3-5 layers of plasti dip (allow each layer to dry at least 1 hour between coats!), and let the piece fully dry for a day or two before molding, you should be fine if you are careful with the master and take your time. The key thing is no matter how impatient you may be during the process, and how tempting it is to get it done quickly, you must allow it to dry completely for 24 hours before molding it to ensure that the shell made by the plastidip is fully hardened.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back