Casting in Ultracal question

Lukea

I am making a two part mold using Ultracal. I want to use a two part expanding foam to cast with.

I would like to brush on a latex based paint before clamping the mold and adding the expanding foam, or will the paint stick to the Ultracal? I like doing this because it gets all the detail with the paint as opposed to adding the paint after the fact and losing detail.

If I can't pre-paint the mold I assume I should use a release agent for a straight foam casting. In that case should I invest in a fancy mold release from Smooth-On, or can I use a cheaper alternative.

Thanks in advance.

Hello,
I have used both products and yes the foam will stick to ultracal, I have used a release agent to work for releasing, I don't use ultra cal as a master, I use a silicone sleeve as a master then back up with utra cal. I have also used Smooth on Plasta paste as well as rigid foam as outer molds to hold shape, with silicone for master.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back