Casablanca's Kentucky Hill/Vichy Water bottles & Table Lamp

TexasRaider

Hello from a brand new member! Thanks for having me!

On to topic: I saw a fantastic video on Adam Savage's YouTube channel where he visited The Earl Hayes Press in LA and was able to actually handle the original printed labels for both the faux bourbon "Kentucky Hill" and Louis' Vichy Water, just amazing video. He was also able to handle the *real* and *actual* letters of transit, just amazing. Anyway, in the video the curator Michael Corrie said the bottles of bourbon were actually milk bottles.... who knew? I've googled, but I haven't seen any vintage milk bottles that look like ones in the film. And I suppose the Vichy Water bottle is just a large empty wine bottle? Dunno..... I figured I'd ask here. If anyone knows, let me know.

BTW, being a die hard Casablanca fan, I'd also love to know if any companies are making replicas of the beautiful beaded table lamps we see in Rick's Cafe.

Thanks all!

Savage's Video:
Where Hollywood's Printed Props Are Made!

BTW, here's an image of the lamp, for reference.
Thanks again....

Attachments

• Casablanca  Lamp.png
    Casablanca Lamp.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
Agreed on the lamp, a noble try. I saw where a real one (pic below) went for $14K at Christies back in 1969.
One wonders what it'd be worth today....

View attachment 1720916
Almost there...a lot of those lamps and a lot of necklaces/bracelets, from that era, were using some kind of thread resembling more like a rope material than anything else at the time. Those items have a tendencies, over time, to shrink; making the beads (or other elements) to curl-up and lose their "straightness". Hence, the need for heavier beads at the end or even small weight in metal (lead).
The one from the movie pic is pretty new since there isn't the need for those weights...yet;)

Anyway, in the video the curator Michael Corrie said the bottles of bourbon were actually milk bottles.... who knew? I've googled, but I haven't seen any vintage milk bottles that look like ones in the film.
He said they used milk to affix the labels, not that they used milk bottles. It's a super old fashioned way to stick paper to glass.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back