Carlos Rambaldi Passes away at 86

Apollo

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
The Creator of the full size King Kong and ET passed away after a long illness. :(

He was 86.

This is sad. Rambaldi was an absolute genius. The E.T. The Extraterrestrial figure seen towards the end of the film, with its warm smile, translucent chest, and fluttering eyes, still looks convincingly alive and "real." Someone needs to make a definitive book about his life and work. I've looked online and discovered there just isn't a whole lot out there about Rambaldi. That's a real shame.

Carlo was also responsible for the mechanical extending-tongue head on Alien. A great talent for combining organic form and mechanical function.

alienrambaldiface02.jpg

alienrambaldilipsclosed.jpg

alienrambaldiface.jpg

alienteethallopen.jpg

alientongueextend.jpg

al1ax.jpg

This is sad. Rambaldi was an absolute genius. The E.T. The Extraterrestrial figure seen towards the end of the film, with its warm smile, translucent chest, and fluttering eyes, still looks convincingly alive and "real." Someone needs to make a definitive book about his life and work. I've looked online and discovered there just isn't a whole lot out there about Rambaldi. That's a real shame.

Rambaldi was so good he could make a puppet look like stop-motion. When CE3K came out I was a stop-motion nut. That extraterrestrial satisfied my stop-motion craving, then I found out it wasn't stop-motion! That figure is still amazing to watch, the similar-looking cg things on that cloner planet in AOTC are not so. I still have no clue who designed the look of that extraterrestrial. Was it Rambaldi?

Colin, are you talking about the CE3K alien seen in close-up? The one that smiles, and repeats the hand gestures back to Truffaut? (there's another alien, seen in the long shot, with the spidery legs, that raises its long arms in a greeting) The "smile" alien is awesome. I'm surprised there are so few reproductions of it available to collectors. But that's a Carlos Rambaldi design, I believe. It's animatronic face... really well done.

Ah yes, "Puck," the sign-language-throwing alien from the end of CE3K. Rambaldi did do that one

135_2.jpg

744885.jpg

not to be confused with this Saran-wrapped skeletal long-arms guy who blesses the crowd. I think that's a Rick Baker puppet

C.CloseEncountersBaker.jpg

... and let's not forget the little children who run around wearing white tights and Halloween masks. OK maybe we should forget them.

geuu_03_img0657.jpg

Phase Pistol! Thanks for those shots of Puck and the long armed Ce3K alien. Never seen those before! Where are the original puck and skeletal arms guy on display? Any idea?

a true legend,king kong was the first movie i ever saw in the cinema,i thought that ape hand was real.would love to see a documentary on carlos.is there one out there?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back