Care (repair) of an alien embryo...need some advice.

ScottM

I have an alien "embryo" thingy in a clear plastic container that I believe is from Stargate SG1. Originally it was filled with fluid, but over time (years and years) it had evaporated to the point where there was about an inch of nasty water (?) in the bottom.

I managed to pop the top off the container and dump the liquid out and clean up the embryo/egg thing...I would like to fill it back up, but am wondering what would be the best option so it will not go cloudy or moldy over time.

Would distilled water work? What are my options?

The embryo/egg seems to be made out of a soft rubbery material that is kinda "squishy"...I know, very technical ;o)

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Welcome!

First off, pictures. There is a wealth of knowledge here to help, some who worked on set for SG1. Let us see what you are working on, it will help for advice.

Hi-- I can't tell you what to use, but I can definitely tell you that distilled water won't work. I used it for some plutonium canisters 13 years ago and they eventually all clouded up (or evaporated).

Welcome!

First off, pictures. There is a wealth of knowledge here to help, some who worked on set for SG1. Let us see what you are working on, it will help for advice.
Here is a pic of it in the jar but without the liquid.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    776.7 KB · Views: 153
Is filling it with mineral oil a possibility? If that is made of silicone as I believe it might be, oil would likely be a lot less harsh than water.

You sure? I know mineral oil deteriorates latex, but I didn't know that was the case for silicone. I've applied it to some pieces I have similar to his alien embryo, and there are no signs of deterioration a few years later.

You sure? I know mineral oil deteriorates latex, but I didn't know that was the case for silicone. I've applied it to some pieces I have similar to his alien embryo, and there are no signs of deterioration a few years later.
Interesting...I had some silicone pieces also and they were destroyed by the mineral oil after a couple of years:unsure: They were those ``Alien-In-A-Jar`` type of props. Cheap stuff from China...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back