Cardboard ROBOCOP armour build

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by Meathead316, May 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Meathead316

Meathead316 Active Member

Hi

Ever since I was a kid ive always had a thing for robots, in particular the terminator and robocop. Now Ive already build a 1:1 scale endo out of cardboard (you can see if in the background of one of the pics later), so now its time I make some Robocop armour.

But why cardboard? Because its cheap (FREE!!) easy to cut with a knife or scissors, easily bent to shape, lightweight, sticks very easy and fast with a glue gun, is strong, and is just awesome! Here is my stock pile:

[​IMG]
    I chose pizza boxes because they are thinner than normal corrigated card, so its just as strong but thinner, or if i layer it, just as thick but stronger.

Now the plan is black thermal underwear as an undersuit, and then the armour attached to it with velcro straps where needed.

Right so i started this a while ago and have been posting on the robocop archive but wanna get views from people on the RPF too.

So You are about to see the build from the beginning up to what i finished today in a hell of a lot of pics.

here we go |) <--- awesome robocop smiley i invented :)

Firstly Robo needs a gun, so i took my electric blowbkc airsoft beretta, and an auto9 lookalike toy i found on ebay for £2 and combined them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then i added a bit of paint:

[​IMG]

So thats Robos trusty side arm sorted, now onto the good stuff. First I made each part roughly out of cardboard, using my 18" nec robocop figure as a referance. Its here where i encountered my first problem. The robocop suit was built around the actor that played him, peter weller, and if you remember him from the film, you will note tht weller is about 5'10" and skinny, Im 6'1" and weigh 210lbs..... so all of the parts would need to be scaled to fit my body. This is what i ended up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So at this stage it was all very rough, but it showed me that even though its scaled differently, it wont majorly affect the proportions and make robo look short and dumpy.

After this i started roughly on the torso and abdominal area:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then onto the robo-diaper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Robo fans may notice that some details are missing, that is because im going to build all the parts in this fashion, then try it all on. if it all fits then great, but if not and some parts need to be trimmed down a bit, it will be easier to do if the edges are unfinished as they are now.

anyways, i then started on the thighs:

[​IMG]

very basic, and the circle things had to protrude by 20mm so i can build ound them to have them set back far enough making the legs even fatter... i started to worry about dumpycop at this point and the only way i will know if the proportions will look right is to finish the upper and lower legs and try it on, so the build continued.

[​IMG]

as the left and right legs are pretty much identical (basic shape anyway) i built them at the same time, so that way i would measure out and cut one piece, then flip it over trace round it and have the same piece for the other leg, thus saving time and effort. (also ensured both sides were identical)

each piece is at least 3 layers thick, that is becuse all of the details are carved two layers deep so that they stand out enough as the cardboard is quite thin.

[​IMG]

a quick test fit (no im not camera shy, i was just pulling a weird face at the time the pic was taken, wifes fault) from this pic its all lookin good, the thighs re supposed to be ever so slightly wider tht the torso, and they are :)

I then started building up the fronts of the thighs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the thighs were looking good so i moved onto the lower legs

[​IMG]
    in this pic the nkles were just resting in place (man they took aaaaaaages to build)

i then added all of the details to the lower legs, and i am very please with how they turned out:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And tht was todays work! So after having the leg done i just had to lay it all out for a pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and while i had it all together, and i had the camera, i thought may as well try it on, see if i do look like dumpy-cop:

[​IMG]

now even though its being held on with an old belt, some shoe laces, my hands and a bit of luck, it doesnt look half bad, and most importantly, not dumpy!

So thats where im at now, going to start work on the feet tomorrow.

bye bye for now

|)

nachtinis likes this.
  2. JediJayne

JediJayne Well-Known Member

Wow! This looks great, can't wait to see more!

3. StarksWarehouse

StarksWarehouse Active Member

wow this looks like one awesome build! congrats on it so far! especially like the gun mod, that looks really nice! although...... how many guns do you need on a wall? lol

4. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Amazing!
    Are you using a specific pattern or just eyeballing it?

5. MTB

MTB Well-Known Member

Nice work, this is looking fantastic!

6. Meathead316

Thanks for the comments, and all them guns are airsoft guns (including a minigun which i made) and you can never have too many guns!

Ideally i would have got the KSC gas blowback auto 9, but its very rare, and expensive, and besides it was fun making my own!

As for following a pattern, there isnt one avilable (unlike ironman pep files which there are millions of!) so im using my 18" neca, measuring a part, then multiply by 4 and that gives me the 6 foot tall measurement i need. some bits have been made slightly different sizes to fit me specifially.

7. pengbuzz

pengbuzz Well-Known Member

This is looking VERY promising, Meathead316!!! I look forward to seeing more progress pics soon! :)

8. nachtinis

nachtinis Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Good eye then!
    There are a few patterns scattered out there but none that are the whole set.

9. ArtDeco

ArtDeco New Member

That's some sweet detailing!!

10. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow you are the man!

11. Joe Pep

Joe Pep Active Member

great build, I myself have been putting off the robocop for a long time. looks great, and wow with the guns, seriously if a air soft world war breaks out, you are covered......

12. mexicutioner

mexicutioner New Member

Great build. It's amazing what a few pizza boxes can turn into!

13. G17RDY

G17RDY Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You've got some serious cardboard modelling skills there - Looks great so far - looking forward to more!

14. madmax

madmax Sr Member

There are a few pep files around,try the hunters lair off topic costume forum ,i think a helmet pep is on there,also The 405th has a thread or 2.I've got 3 electric blow back robo guns and yours looks real good

15. omel

omel Well-Known Member

WOW! looking super so far!! great job bro. Back when Robocop first came out i tried to make a helmet out of cardboard, coke bottles, and some other stuff that i thought would work.....but my kid skills werent up to par so that was shelved...someday i shall try to make this again....your work is inspiring! keep building keep posting!

16. CJ 617

CJ 617 Sr Member

That is a fantastic build!!!! Looking fantastic so far....keep up the great work!

17. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

18. Awesomeness

Awesomeness Active Member

That's very impressive cardboard work.

19. teenwolf87

teenwolf87 Member

wow great job!

20. venator

venator Member

Nice build :)....and nice pink socks :p

21. fire10

fire10 New Member

I have to admit when I read the subject I wasnt expecting to see as good job as you are doing. Keep it up cant wait to see the helmet

22. Meathead316

update time!

Firstly thank you for all the comments!

Guntahkela have you got a link to some pics of your robo-suit, id love to see it!

As foy using pep files... i dont want to, i like the challenge of figuring it all out, and i want it to fit me perfectly and the only way to do that is build from scratch. and besides, im too impatient to glue lots of fiddely little pieces together then fibreglass and resin it (not to mention too stingey!)

The feet have proved more troublesome that id expected, but id rather take my time and keep it as accurate as i can as it will payoff in the long run.

firstly i starter by making 1 leg piston (only one as i didnt have enough cardboard tube, must by more tin foil and baking paper as they have the different size tubes i need, no idea what ills do with all that foil and baking paper tho...)

[​IMG]

I want to be able to dress myself unaided, and attachinch the leg pistons to the back of the calf and the foot will be next to impossible given the resticted range of movement so i cam up with a solution, have it permanently attached to the foot, and then the other end attaches to the calf like this:

[​IMG]

teenie tiny (bet very strong) magents. i will use them for other parts of the suit aswell i think as i have loads of them left (bought 50 of em :) )

the feet are only half done... slacking i know, but hey at least BOTH are half done

[​IMG]

NOTE the back of the heel is too long at the moment as the end bit is to be folded to hold the rear piece on.

they are looking pretty good me thinks, once they are 100% i will cut them in half so that i can walk properly ie bending my toes.

just placed a lower leg on top of the foot to give you and idea of how they will look, let me tell you, BEASTY! (modest i know :) )

[​IMG]

So thats all for today, tomorrow im hoping to get the feet finished

ta ta for now.

23. Meathead316

just about to start todays build, robo-toes |)

update in a few hours

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  24. GuntahKela

GuntahKela Sr Member

25. indiefilmgeek

indiefilmgeek Sr Member

I haven't constructed anything in cardboard in ages, but I'm very impressed with what you've done so far, Meathead316! I can't wait to see more!

Also... GuntahKela, wow... that was DEFINITELY an epic build. Thanks for sharing that link - made my day! :):thumbsup

26. jw3032

jw3032 New Member

I guess that answers the question I came into this forum with; has anyone ever attempted the Robocop foot? You have and it looks incredible. This could be one of the coolest builds I have ever seen. I can't wait to see it finished.

27. suckface

suckface Active Member

awsome build mate amazing what details you can get with card :)

28. Meathead316

ive seen your robo build before, yeeeeeeeears ago! thought it was awesome then, and looking at it again and its still awesome. although your method is very similar to mine, its still worlds part from what i want my finished suit to be, and that is robust. i am not going to cover mine in anything that can crack or snap.

anyways onto todays progress, the robo-toes! still have a fair bit of work to do to the feet but the fronts are done now (minus details)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ignore the heel area, havent even started on it yet

[​IMG]

its all still a very awkward fit, im hoping it will be rectified when i attach the lower leg to the upper leg at the knee and cut the foot in half so i can bend my toes.

thats all for today, tomorrow ill start on the heel area.

bye bye for now |)

29. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

Th' cardboard builds just keep gettin better an better. awesome details brah!!!! Keep up th' good work.:cool

30. mothmonty

mothmonty Well-Known Member

Your skills with cardboard are amazing

31. irricanian

irricanian New Member

Very impressive and inspiring! I've always wanted to do a Robo suit, now I may just tackle it!

32. crowfire09

crowfire09 New Member

WOW, thats all i can say. WOW

33. DarthBatman

DarthBatman Member

Did you have any templates, or is this just from scratch?

34. BornKilr

BornKilr Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

This build is incredible. Hard to believe this started out as pizza boxes. Kinda makes me ashamed to admit times when I complain about not starting a particular project because I don't have money for materials. Great job!

35. Meathead316

Thanks for the comments! And if you think its turning out to be a pretty accurate suit, just wait and see what ive got instore for the cherry on top of my robo-armour sundae!

No templates at all, every part is scratch built using only my 18" neco robo cop figure as a referance. Making this suit so far has been very cheap, all ive had to pay for is glue for my glue gun, magnets, and some thermal under wear for the under suit. It will start getting a bit more expensive though.... I will need to buy velcro, nuts and bolts, lots of pvc tape, foam, and the biggest expense, primer paint and lacquer.

anyways foot fetishest will be pleased to know that the feet are both done!

BOOM:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    this image shows my shoe snugly inside the robofoot. I need to buy another pair of these shoes in black to permanently install into the feet.

[​IMG]
    the front of the robo-toes! the toes will be hinged on with small hinges i am yet to buy, if they flap back down on their own then great, if not they will be fitted with springs/elastic to pull them back.

[​IMG]
    foot and lower leg together (ignore the piston sticking out of the top as the calf would be slightly higher when being worn)

[​IMG]
    shows bent toes and piston movement....

but not as good as this video does:

Robocop Suit Foot articulation test - YouTube

I needed to know whether the toes and piston were moving as they should be and as you cans ee from the video they do |)

So thats the waist down pretty much done, only a case of making hinges at the knee and ankle out of plastic so all the parts stay aligned as they should and dont slip up/down or rotate around my leg.

So now I am moving onto the upper arms next and will crack on with that tomorrow/day after.

Keep the comments and questions coming and stay tuned for updates!

36. animefan

animefan Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

unbelievable, I look forward to every update :)

37. Meathead316

Hello!

Sorry for a lack of updates, i went away for a short holiday. Anyways since today was bank holiday today due to some Jew bully or something I had plenty of time to get some work done on the arms.

So far I have built up th layers on the upper arms and they are now at a point where i need to add all the detail bits (which is tomorrows job)

a pic:

[​IMG]

38. Mattdavid

Mattdavid Member

Amazing work!

39. cybermanguy

cybermanguy New Member

really nice work and attention to detail..

40. tonykch

tonykch Well-Known Member

Not only am I amazed at what you're building, but I'm equally as amazed that you can eat enough pizza to build an entire Robocop!

For some reason, I picture your building process as, "Okay, today I am going to work on the foot. That's going to require 4 large pepperoni's with extra cheese."

41. poholio

poholio Active Member

Simply inspiring! This has my interest indeed.

42. electraflier

electraflier Well-Known Member

LOL! That is so funny! Wow! You are amazing! What a build! I just stumbled on you taking a break from my MK3 build! You are inspiring! No Peps, just Pepperonis!!!
    I will be following your thread with great interest and excitement!!

43. superz

superz New Member

Holy crap!! This is really amazing, and inspiring to see what one could do with cardboard.

44. Rysjin7717

Rysjin7717 Well-Known Member

I'm lovin' those upper arms brah can't wait for seein' some details on them. Keep up th' good work brah.:cool:cool

45. Meathead316

Thanks for all the positve feedback!

Tonykch you are too funny! If i were having to buy pizza to obtain boxes id end up with a smelly greasy robo suit that i would be too fat to fit in! (ive used about 30-40 extra large boxes so far...) but when its done i MUST pose for a photo wearing the suit with robo eating a pizza slice!

ive done some more work on the arms :) i have taken a slightly different approach than i did for the legs, instead of doing uppers, then lowers, im kinda just doing the whle lot at the same time.

the lowers are built up and just need details carving into them. the uppers still require a fair bit of work (still trying to figure out the best way to do the rounded bit at the shoulder)

heres a pic:

[​IMG]

I cant wait for the arms to be done coz then i get to do the hands (which ive been looking forward to for weeks!) I have to good/crazy ideas i wanna experiement with.. but im not gonna go into that now, you'll just have to wait and see |)

46. TelnetCarlos

TelnetCarlos Member

what a wonderful idea. Probably didn't cost much money wise but time consuming

47. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member

From personal experience working with cardboard, you may consider using Auto Body Paint as it helps reinforce the paper by bonding to it very well.

Your work astonishes me to no end! Great 'eyeballing' on the whole thing.

48. Mobadoo

Mobadoo New Member

Brilliant work, really impressive. Robocop an excellent movie and excellent costume to create.

49. Mpashuk

Mpashuk Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just think if i saved all those pizza boxes up i could have a robocop army. I have to say i would have never had thought cardboard could look so amazing!!!

50. Meathead316

Hi

It has been very very time consuming, but also very very cheap, so its all good

I intend to use car primer, paint and lacquer when it comes to finishing the suit :)

Thanks for the positive comments, really helps keep me motivated.

anyways....

GET YA TICKETS TO THE GUN SHOW!

[​IMG]

Ok maybe not....

Maybe these arms are more to your liking:

Firstly a few pics the wife took on her phone of me wearing the torso and arms for quick test fit before i added all the fine details (sorry for poor quality)

[​IMG]

scale seems good to me

[​IMG]

damnit woman cant you hold a camera steady?!!

[​IMG]

Dont ask em what the hell kind of pose this is, just wanted a shot to show i can actually move my arms (a bit)

And now for the juicy stuff, the close ups of the arms. When i completed the legs i was well chuffed with them, the arms are way way waaaay better than the legs and turned out better than i had hoped so im well happy :)

At present the upper and lower parts are being hinged with a couple of wooden sticks.... this will be replaced with bolts when i get them along with plastic inserts (kinda like giant washers) around the hinges to prevent tearing.

anyways enough talk... BEHOLD:

[​IMG]

All that detail took ages to carve out, but was well worth it.

[​IMG]

The curve on the tops of the arms and the biceps was a bit of a pain in the *, but with some stragegic folds here and there i got the curves i needed

[​IMG]

You may notice the only details i missed out are the rivet looking things dotted all over the place. Im gonna find some actual rivety type things that i can just glue on as they will look better than cardboard ones.

[​IMG]

backs of the arms. anyone know what them sticky outy bits are meant to be on the upper part of the right arm (the one on the left in the pic)

One last photo, this one really shows off the curves and helps highlight the details i carved out and how deep i had to carve them.

[​IMG]

So thats the arms now done! :)

hats next on the agenda you ask? The next thing I am bulding is the gloves, but before i do im going to make them platic washer inserts for the arms, and also make some for the knees and ankles. I will then wear it all and make a test video to see if everything moves as it should because if i need to make the arms shorter or longer a bit (lets hope not) then the gloves would have to be altered also) So my next update should be a video :)

Thats all for now

|)