Cardassian door panel - Accurate colors?

trekker670

I'm just getting back into the prop replica hobby after a several year hiatus. One of my first "builds" getting back into the swing of things will be a Cardassian-style door panel. I've scoured for reference photos and paint codes. I've found numerous photos, thanks to the prop auctions several years ago. Paint codes have been a bit harder to find.

Has anyone here painted these before and have any recommendations for the paint colors?

16556241_2.jpg

There appear to be several variations of how the panels were painted, but the color scheme was pretty consistent. Fortunately, the colors appear to be similar to those found on the Cardassian Phaser. Using the the reference photos and paint codes I found for the phaser, I've identified the following color scheme:

• Grey (base color)
    • Screen-Used Door Panel: Krylon Dove Gray
    • Equivalent: Krylon Stone Gray / Castle Rock
  • Burgundy/Crimson (buttons, accents)
    • Cardassian Phaser: Metallic Red (PlastiKote 7119)
    • Equivalent: ?
  • Copper (buttons)
    • Cardassian Phaser: Copper (from top of the phaser)
    • Equivalent: Perhaps a brushed-on copper model paint
Here's a file with all of my reference photos: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5XsO7cqw49oaFJHU3BsRkh6c2c

Any insight you might have is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a very good reference you've built up there!
I don't know about actual paint brands/codes but I will say that, to my eyes at least, it looks more like a Copper than a Brass, especially compared to the Gold used elsewhere.
Good luck with this. I'm sure someone here will know what paints were used, or maybe know someone who worked on the props.

I've updated the first post with some new information. Someone on another board looked at a screen-used door panel and confirmed that the base gray color is Krylon Dove Gray.

I reached out to Plasti-Kote to try and get more information on the "Metallic Red" (Plasti-Kote 7119) from the Cardassian phaser. Unfortunately, they couldn't find any information on the color in the archives.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back