Captain Morgan

Rikarus

Sr Member
So I cuaght those new Captain morgan commercials and love the look, so decided to see what I could do to build me up that outfit for Ren Fair, and the local Pirate stuff.

It's a totally cool look and if you get the chance check out the vid's the glass, designated driver, and to life to love to loot on you tube...funny and kinda cool.

here's the guy in the commercials:

CaptainMorgan12.jpg

and here's what I have put together last night and tonight from some linen I had in the bin. it's together but not aged a bit or weather yet. ( Itied sash on wrong side, but wanted to get a pic)

mecm3.jpg

mecm1.jpg

The todo list includes sewing buttons down side stripes, belt, wig, and frock coat. Got some dark red velvetine and dark red satin picked for it, but draggin my feet because I am not sure I like the patter I have from reconstruction history, it seems to run small.

Thanks for stopping by! :cheers

Last edited:
So started to get the frock coat materials this mornign and backed off a little, I need some opinions on what the shell fabric might be.

I ofund the perfect liner material, and was gonna go with a velveteen outer, but the color and drap has me thinking it might be a wool, or twill?

Thoughts?

pants are finished except for liner now:

britches.jpg

And gotthe frock coat fabric, 100% red wool, and 100% silk lliner in a scarlet. PIcture doesnt do them justice. Now to make a mock up and get to cranking!

coatfabric.jpg

Started work on my frock coat, switch from red wool to a red velvet that looks and hangs way etter with the linen canvas interliner. Started the button bling, most frocks have them stuck together but I liked the gap, and went with it. (stitch witch is your friend doing this stuff)

Frockcoat2.jpg

Frockcoat1.jpg

Frockcoat3.jpg

If you're asking my opinion, a smoother Poly/Cotton/Wool would suffice, AND be cheaper and easier to clean
Your 'Button-hole trim' should be farther apart, going down past sleeve-cuff-length
Haven't seen the back on the commercials, but there should be a 'pleat' to widen the 'skirt' on each side of the center seam
'Antique' all your trim
The trim on the pants sould be rotated farther forward and closer together
Make the sash more narrow
Don't forget the 'Pockets' on the coat (beneath hands-reach)
Crotch buttons
Can you move the Part in the wig to over the Right Eye?

BTW: Is that an 'Australian Healer' in the background?

Last edited:
I was offered the job of the 'Captain Morgan' of the Southwest for Captain Morgan's Rum back in the early 1990's, but I took this job instead:

'Dead Pirate' instead of 'Drinking Pirate'

I may have made the wrong decision...

Last edited:
Sparticle,
Yup thats an ACD, love my heeler!

I originally was gonna due the polly cotton wool, but the sheen didn't really come through and this velvet really loojked the part, it looks bright on my crappy iphone pics but in natural light it does much better and has that slight sheen to it that makes it pop.

The pleets are there, each side and the center has a godet, I just haven't sewed those together to get that 'flare yet.

The pockets are cut out but not added, and I'll have to put a pic of that up as there are actually two pockets on each side one above the other.

The pants may get scrapped, I can slide the trim back and forth with the waist band, I made the pants draw stirng, and draw string at the cuff, but I ran out of that trim, and it was thin and hard to get sew on straight...so there may be a rev two pants.

The sleeves....well I think they are too long, so I will be measuring and modding them to me, I need to build the cuffs and pin them out, to get the length right.

Those are not front buttons on the pants, thats actually a belt over the top of the sash. I'm working on the belt part, it looks pretty wide so I am trying to find a buckle that is at least square, not sure I'll find one with those studs on it.

The wig is just a junk wig I grabbed on the cheap to see if I could cut it and tape it to my melon and how it would look....I just put that one up for to give peopel a laugh.

Thanks for the input, and if you ahve any thoughts on how to antique the trim...fire away. I knew it needed antiquing..it's to shiney, but not sure how.

here are some more CM pics:

belt.jpg

frockback.jpg

frockside.jpg

So dumped that overly shiney trim, and re-did the frock, wen twith 9 button like CM coat, tightend the trim up and fab'd some pockets and pinned them in preliminary spots. This looks much better IMHO. :lol

Frockredux3.jpg

Frockcoatredux2.jpg

Frockcoatredux.jpg

Some more progress on my frock. Not 100% accurate to the pic, but close and I should get the general look I want. Feedback is welcome form all. haven't hemmed bottom letting it settle in, and still cuffs to go)

Frockcoat4.jpg

Frockcoat5.jpg

Frockcoat6.jpg

Coats of that time had their pockets up around the waist line, or slightly lower (right about here your elbow hits the coat). Remember, you have to have room below the pocket flap for the actual pocket!

I'm actually trying to copy the look of the coat in the commercial, one pocket up, one decorative down low. like the ref in post 8.

WHipped up a belt that is similar with what I could hunt down on the interweb, man decent buckles are tough to find! A little aging a little weathering and it will be not to shabby.

belt2.jpg

belt.jpg

OK getting clsoe to done, need to add buttons, and get the fabric to loosen up and hang a little easier. Then do some weathering on everything, I tea dyed the linen shirt but I think it could use another dose. I used a cotton canvas interliner so it wants to be a little stiff. And working on the fit a bit, still loosing weight, and no hair bear or boots on for fit.

I am considering trying to darken up the velvet just a tad, is it possible to darken velvet with a dye or some other way?

CMfitting.jpg

Me New Coat (NOT Captain Morgan):

(Darn crappy camera)
Sleeve 'buttonholes' are wrong, I know! It was a late night/early morning.
I will most sartainly be adding the second pocket, but both sides or jus one?
I swear before the Bretheren Court this material looked more green in the store!

Making the velvet dirty may be a bit hard, as most velvet is synthetic and won't take to Rit dye (in a spray bottle) or tea dying. Idye Poly works on polyester, but it's the kind that needs to be done on a stove-top with constant heat. Since you just want it to look weathered and not dye the whole thing, I don't think that's an option.

I would recommend floral spray paint - not regular spray paint. The floral spray paint (made for silk flowers) will give you a light dusting of color and the fabric will still stay soft and pliable. You can get it at Michael's crafts.

Another thing I'd recommend is to physically weather the jacket with a little sandpaper or maybe some rasps around the edges of the cuffs and pockets. Do the physical stuff before the paint. It should look really cool.

There's a little captain in ya!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back