Captain Marvel

Well, again another excellent addition to the Marvel collection. Very enjoyable,....probably would rank it above the first two Thor movies, Doctor Strange & Black Panther .....looking forward to seeing how she interconnects with the rest of the team

J

does this mean 88% audience score for Wonder Woman are trolls?
what about Batman V Superman with two male leads, also trolls?
hhmmmmmmm........intresting

Who would have the motive and the power to make the work of over 50,000 trolls disappear?

I have a prime suspect...

BA406DCD-1CF9-4222-9E43-C71C4B7EBAE9.jpeg

It is ironically hilarious to consider that the troll Willow cast a spell upon, in the movie, was transformed into a two headed monster that George Lucas named after the movie critics. Siskell and Ebert.

So, even as far back as 1988, trolls were being transformed into movie critics :)

7B41D613-C9BF-4ABB-B02D-BC4636C5B27E.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea, the depths of the internet hate machines run cool and efficient. The number of people willing to join in on being mean about something they don't even care about is staggering when you start looking at 4chan and such.

Anyways, saw the movie; there's a post release thread now, so I'm gonna go write up the reasons I enjoyed it there.

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to see this movie in the theatre. Not because of what Brie said (real, or allegedly), or because "it's a SJW MOVIE!!!11!!", or whatever; it's just that the Captain Marvel character just doesn't interest me. Same with both the Hulk and Ant-Man films - haven't seen them yet, either for the same reason.
That's not to say that I'll *never* watch them, it's just that currently my interest in them isn't there.

The opening weekend performance is not a surprise when we already knew the pre-release sales were big. MCU films will have big openings as a rule - especially one that’s leading up to Endgame. It’s the overseas performance and 2nd and 3rd weekend drop-off which will tell if CM is good enough to have “legs” for the broader audience, international audience and people who want to rewatch the film.

I’m predicting a big drop off in the US.. I’m not hoping for it. I’m just predicting it from my experience watching it.

Internationally it’s a tougher call. MCU does generally well but you can never tell. Star Wars was underwhelming in the huge Chinese market but Transformers movies explode there.

Last edited:
Why?

There is nothing really strong being released throughout March to compete with it at any level.

The next movie that will is "Dumbo" on the 29th, but in the comic book /superhero sector theres only "Shazam", and thats due out 5th April, followed by" Hellboy" 11th April and then a small, relatively obscurely titled genre movie that nobody has any interest in at all called "Endgame" on the 25/26th .

So its going to stay top of the BO for weeks.

And, if anything, the arguement for a big drop is very likely to be wrong because of that.

An "A" average usually translates to a very good word of mouth trend from the general audiences, so more people are likely to go see it based on the recommendations of others . I certainly will go see this this week because I usually always steer clear of the first Friday/Sat/Sunday opening weekends because of the crowds.

And it was a "late" opening for a MCU movie, usually we'd get an extra day in the UK, like a Thursday, which didn't happen for a number of the international markets . And that was true of the US as well.

Also, if there really is that strong support from the SJW contingent in opposition to all the negative social media attacks, thats likely to continue for some weeks.

Personally I don't think this will matter that much, to the same degree the boycott didn't. The percentage of people who would be affected or would want to deliberately effect the movie based on this debate is a very small number of the overall cinema going population. People just want to have a good time at the movies and CM delivered this for most based on that "A" rating.

So if "Aquaman" can deliver a billion I see no reason why CM cannot get close to that.

I'd also add this youtuber (Beyond the Film) comments , who delivered one of the most balanced reviews of the movie and the BO performance I've seen so far:

I stopped listening to those guys' opinions when they trashed a number of movies I'd seen, over stuff that frankly wasnt true, or was based on them having missed something in the plot.

Made me revaluate the trash talking they'd done against other flicks, and after watching some of those, found they were regularly off the mark. And a few they've liked have been pretty garbage, and it just happens they're fans of the genrea in question, no matter what.

I think the reviews they put a ton of time into are likely still fine (the prequels and Avatar reviews come to mind), but their switch to doing "short turn" reviews, i think has prevented them from giving enough attention to a film, and developing their ideas/testing the validity of their ideas before throwing it out on the web.

Last edited:
I'm probably not going to see this movie in the theatre. Not because of what Brie said (real, or allegedly), or because "it's a SJW MOVIE!!!11!!", or whatever; it's just that the Captain Marvel character just doesn't interest me. Same with both the Hulk and Ant-Man films - haven't seen them yet, either for the same reason.
That's not to say that I'll *never* watch them, it's just that currently my interest in them isn't there.

Watch the Antmans, really very fun. I didn’t know jack about the character and wasn’t interested much at first either.

Having seen the film twice and really enjoying it along with the worldwide box office success perhaps this will give the trolls food for thought.
There will always be hateful pathetic people who make their baseless opinions known to the world because they feel threatened.

As many people here have already said, an actor's life and real world persona doesn't mean they can't portray an excellent character. Tom Cruise being a great example used by others here in this discussion.

I would suggest all trolls swallow their pride actually go and watch the film they are so scared of then come back for a reasonable discussion, rather than their usual boring, baseless, hateful rhetoric.

Having seen the film twice and really enjoying it along with the worldwide box office success perhaps this will give the trolls food for thought.
There will always be hateful pathetic people who make their baseless opinions known to the world because they feel threatened.

As many people here have already said, an actor's life and real world persona doesn't mean they can't portray an excellent character. Tom Cruise being a great example used by others here in this discussion.

I would suggest all trolls swallow their pride actually go and watch the film they are so scared of then come back for a reasonable discussion, rather than their usual boring, baseless, hateful rhetoric.
It won't. I've seen more than a couple people claiming that the ticket sales are from Disney buying them themselves (because THAT makes sense somehow...). The trolls will twist themselves into pretzels of faulty logic to not be wrong.

It won't. I've seen more than a couple people claiming that the ticket sales are from Disney buying them themselves (because THAT makes sense somehow...). The trolls will twist themselves into pretzels of faulty logic to not be wrong.

The “Disney Buys Its Own Tickets Theorists” will also happily share their “Flat Earth Theory”, “The Moon Landings Were Staged And Filmed By Stanley Kubrick Theory”, and “Jeff Bezos Is Secrety A Lizard Alien King Theory” with you if give them a couple of hours of your time.

E8791FF1-5E4A-4DD0-9B34-4EC207CD4F47.jpeg

It's so sad and hilariously pathetic.
Some people won't concede even with the evidence right there in-front of them.

I have a friend who went to the Thursday midnight showing at Cineworld in Cardiff, he said there were 4 screens showing Captain Marvel simultaneously at 12.01am and when the film finished and they all left it was clear that all 4 screens were full, there were hundreds of people piling into the cold night air, happy for that experience of seeing the film.

When I watched the film for the first time with my girlfriend at the 1st available IMAX 3D show in Cardiff Bay on the 8th, the screening was about 3/4 full. Clearly a LOT of people are enjoying this film and were willing to pay the extra money for IMAX 3D.
Try and present that concrete physical proof to the trolls and they will make some ridiculous claim to save face and not admit that they are wrong.

Yeah, I read online that the theater Brie Larson showed up at was a fake theater owned by Disney that they use for that kind of stuff. I wish I was kidding.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back