Captain Marvel

And in the comics, Carol's arrogance and tendency to want to punch out the problems is one of her biggest current faults (she's had others in the past, such as alcoholism and serious trust issues). My point is that if Thor isn't OP in gobler's mind, Carol shouldn't be either.
Oh I can all but guarantee you will not see a hint of the alcoholic in this Disney version. Look at Tony Stark. Once Disney acquired Marvel they dropped his heavy drinking and womanizing completely.

Apparently yall haven't learned your lesson from Ghostbusters 2016. This will bomb. Mark it.
Being rather “anti-SJW” myself I understand where you might be coming from, but I’m willing to give CM a chance to stand or die on its own merit. Whatever Brie Larson has said publicly she’s not the writer, director or producer of this movie.

For me it really depends on if this film leans on its apparent empowerment message more than it wants to be a good story that's well told. I think that has yet to be established. If I didn't have the existing faith in the MCU I might be in the same camp with you. Ghostbusters 2016 being directed by Feig with that cast and their collective public statements was a little more predictable where that film was heading.

Last edited:
Regarding not calling her in the Avengers:
Carol isn't Lila Cheney. She can't teleport across vast distances of space to be where she needs to be instantly. It would have taken time for her to get to Earth from where she is and quite likely by the time she got there, the battle would've been over one way or the other.

The Avengers was an attack on one city and therefore fairly contained. The Snap was something that was much BIGGER and when Fury realized that, he reached out because he realized that even if it took time for her to get there, there would still be a need for her help.
Yeah that definitely makes sense, the snap was on a way bigger scale, so youre totally right about that. For some reason I kinda forgot the snap affected all reality, not just Earth. Duh. There goes my nerd cred.

Oh I can all but guarantee you will not see a hint of the alcoholic in this Disney version. Look at Tony Stark. Once Disney acquired Marvel they dropped his heavy drinking and womanizing completely.

And that's fine. Tony is still interesting even without the alcoholism because of the depths of his hubris.

As I and others have said, Marvel knows how to deliver these characters and keep them compelling. I think they have earned some trust and faith after 20+ movies.

I wished they gave Carol Danvers hubris, or any flaw. Hell even emotions would have been good. That's not what's been reported. "She's stiff, emotionless and boring with no arc", according to reviews. Not all but a significant amount and those who are well established.

I wished they gave Carol Danvers hubris, or any flaw. Hell even emotions would have been good. That's not what's been reported. "She's stiff, emotionless and boring with no arc", according to reviews. Not all but a significant amount and those who are well established.

Well, as has been said, I will wait and see what is in the movie, not in the reviews. Because, frankly? Reviewers aren't always the most observant of people.

I’m going to break out my grumpy old man routine here...

295F964D-2EE1-4787-B93D-219576611E31.png

In my day comic book movies were just escapist fun that were just meant to make money and remove us from the cold harsh reality that was our daily lives for a couple of hours.

We didn’t go to see Chris Reeve as “Superman” and question the political motivation of the actor, director, writer, or studio, or what group was supposed to be empowered by the main character, or excluded by the main character. We just wanted to be convinced that a man could fly via acceptable front projection and limited blue screen work accompanied by a spectacular John Williams soundtrack.

It was mindless entertainment and fun that was classified as Grade B / Non-Oscar contender material with A-List actors and a big budget. Comic book movies being expected to change the world and being nominated for Best Picture? Phooey!

We learned NOTHING, stood in line for hours to grease the wheels of capitalism, and stuffed our faces with popcorn!

That’s the way that it was and we LIKED it!

:)

Last edited:
I’m going to break out my grumpy old man routine here...

View attachment 996959

In my day comic book movies were just escapist fun that were just meant to make money and remove us from the cold harsh reality that was our daily lives for a couple of hours.

We didn’t go to see Chris Reeves as “Superman” and question the political motivation of the actor, director, writer, or studio, or what group was supposed to be empowered by the main character, or excluded by the main character. We just wanted to be convinced that a man could fly via acceptable front projection and limited blue screen work accompanied by a spectacular John Williams soundtrack.

It was mindless entertainment and fun that was classified as Grade B / Non-Oscar contender material with a big budget! Comic book movies being expected to change the world and being nominated for Best Picture? Balderdash!

We learned NOTHING, stood in line for hours to grease the wheels of capitalism, and stuffed our faces with popcorn!

That’s the way that it was and we LIKED it!

:)

I couldnt agree LESS, I always had a hotdog rather than popcorn.

But Remembering an old style Cinema with dark red carpet on the Opera house style stairs and when I got to the top a cardboard cutout of Christopher Reeves as Superman very nearly made me wet myself with glee. Well I was very very young.

THEMS WERE THE DAYS.

I was there in the days before advanced tickets or reserved seating when you knew nothing about the movie in advance, even unpopular movies were out for months and movie posters were pieces of art (even if they had nothing to do with the movie).

View attachment 997359
A totally different movie experience back then...

Not sure if it has been mentioned here or not but wasn't there was a 50-50 chance Captain Marvel disappeared during the big snap?

Heads up. Anyone who uses Rotten Tomatoes as a judge on the audience reviews; STOP. They were just caught deleting 54,000 reviews on CM. Funny thing it only boosted it ratings from 31% to 35%

I would suggest Metacritic.

Heads up. Anyone who uses Rotten Tomatoes as a judge on the audience reviews; STOP. They were just caught deleting 54,000 reviews on CM. Funny thing it only boosted it ratings from 31% to 35%

I would suggest Metacritic.

And I'm sure AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALL of those negative reviews were from people who'd actually seen the movie. If they did, then the fact that in the first 12 hours of the movie's release, it had over 60k reviews (for contrast the Avengers had 53k over its entire theatrical run), then the box office on Captain Marvel should be a far cry from the bomb that those reviewers are decrying it as....

They weren't really hiding it man. They were getting trolls leaving bad false reviews before it was even out. Rotten tomatoes has always had to police the garbage that gets submitted.

Oh, I can bet that there is a good chunk of BS reviews. But I find it had to believe that nearly 54,000 people colluded to leave bad reviews. My Cousin saw it last night and left a review. He's been a Marvel fan of the comics as well as the MCU for decades. That's how I read some CM comics. His was a legitimate review and it was nuked. He gave it a 3 star and was not to harsh but still; gone.

There is no organized group to hammer films, just fans who have had enough of SJW crap shoved down thier throats. Just give people fun and well made films.

Oh, I can bet that there is a good chunk of BS reviews. But I find it had to believe that nearly 54,000 people colluded to leave bad reviews. My Cousin saw it last night and left a review. He's been a Marvel fan of the comics as well as the MCU for decades. That's how I read some CM comics. His was a legitimate review and it was nuked. He gave it a 3 star and was not to harsh but still; gone.

There is no organized group to hammer films, just fans who have had enough of SJW crap shoved down thier throats. Just give people fun and well made films.

Actually... you're wrong... as a google search would show, but that's fine. I'm sorry your cousin's review was nuked, but that doesn't mean all of them were legit.

Oh, I can bet that there is a good chunk of BS reviews. But I find it had to believe that nearly 54,000 people colluded to leave bad reviews.

Then you don't know the power of places like 4chan and what a few internet trolls can do with modern tech. You're right that there most likely was not 54K people who submitted bogus reviews. It was most likely just a few running bot scripts to submit fake reviews. And to combat that RT most likely ran its own automated script to cull those reviews. Your cousin's review most likely just got flagged because it probably contained certain keywords or phrases that it was looking for.

does this mean 88% audience score for Wonder Woman are trolls?
what about Batman V Superman with two male leads, also trolls?
hhmmmmmmm........intresting

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back