Captain Marvel (Post-release)

What did you think of Captain Marvel?

• Total voters
I've never had such an experience in a theater, the only bad thing I've had to endure is a bad movie. I'd welcome a few noisy morons if the movies would improve.

Amusing story from when I saw CM, actually...

I went to a small, single-screen local theater. They have a balcony for 18+, where we usually go, to avoid kids. Heard someone (pre-previews) come in saying how they had the best seats in the house. Someone else said that they had the best seats. I countered from above saying the balcony was the best, because you're away from the kids. Cue someone threatening to steal my seats! (in good fun, of course)

(This is also a great theater because 2 large soda + large refillable popcorn = $14)

I still haven't had a chance to see this, and it's disappearing from theaters on 4/19, which sucks, because it won't hit digital for purchase/rental until probably like the end of May or early June at the soonest. It feels like this one was scheduled REALLY close to Endgame, and didn't leave a ton of time to go see it. I don't want to spoil myself for it, but I don't want to miss Endgame in the theaters just to catch it. :\

I still haven't had a chance to see this, and it's disappearing from theaters on 4/19, which sucks, because it won't hit digital for purchase/rental until probably like the end of May or early June at the soonest. It feels like this one was scheduled REALLY close to Endgame, and didn't leave a ton of time to go see it. I don't want to spoil myself for it, but I don't want to miss Endgame in the theaters just to catch it. :\

Do you have any late-run/second-chance theaters in your area?

I actually kind of enjoyed the fact that it wasn't an expected way, after all of the wondering.

Yeah, I can see that, but IMO it trivialized the loss of such an important organ. Since the original norse sagas losing an eye was a major event in a character's life. I must admit that I had first thought that the Flurkens scratch would be responsible for Fury losing his full hair. When I realized that it actually was his eye it did not really feel right. Nitpicks, i know.

I don't know, I kind of like it from a standpoint of showing that fury is the ultimate super spy. he took losing his eye to something fairly mundane, and spun it into part of his entire mystique, helping to make him an imposing and terrifying person in the espionage world. He wore the eye patch, instead of a glass eye replacement, so that every time he was seen at shield, the other agents had no choice but to be reminded "here's the guy that tangled with alien invaders, a won...". Super spy misdirection at it's best.

Yeah, I can see that, but IMO it trivialized the loss of such an important organ. Since the original norse sagas losing an eye was a major event in a character's life. I must admit that I had first thought that the Flurkens scratch would be responsible for Fury losing his full hair. When I realized that it actually was his eye it did not really feel right. Nitpicks, i know.

Yeah, but people lose eyes to stupid **** every day ("You'll shoot your eye out"). Losing his eye to a small, adorable alien doesn't make Fury any less of a BMF than he was before. :)

Yeah, but people lose eyes to stupid **** every day ("You'll shoot your eye out"). Losing his eye to a small, adorable alien doesn't make Fury any less of a BMF than he was before. :)

The latter was what I was thinking of him when he first met Goose :D

The "...people (!) lose eyes to stupid **** every (!) day..." is actually what irks me. Nick Fury isn´t "people", he is a larger than life Marvel character. And "every day" in Fury´s life is different than "people´s" every day. See what I tried to do there? I personally do not want "mundane" stuff happen to those larger than life characters. Yes, it is an alien creature, but still ... But then again, that might be just plain ol´ me who is adamant about not wanting daily life stuff in "my" movies ;)

Eh, I think the mundane things are what makes the MCU so powerful. Do these characters have powers and abilities beyond compare? yes. But they also have all the same human baggage that we do. They have mundane problems with their lives. It's why when we get down to talking about characters in the MCU, more often than not, we don't refer to Captain America, Black Widow, or Iron Man; They're Steve, Nat, Tony, Peter, Clint, Bruce, Peggy, Scott, Hank, Wanda, Rhodey. It's been the same in the comics. Even the X-Men, which haven't made an appearance in the new MCU, were Logan, Scott, Jean, Charles, Hank, Raven, Erik and so on, and the X-men comics that have been best, follow the same suit.

Marvel has always been a soap opera with super powers. The mundane is the draw, the murder bots and doom rays are the back drop.

That's why some of the most loved DC properties (some comics, the cartoons and TV shows) have frankly been doing better than the DCCU. They're about Barry, Digg, Oliver, Clark, Bruce, Diana, and all the rest.

Comic films and stories with nothing but the bizarre and extreme... they're unrelateable. They'll never do well. They're... "Spawn", 2011 Green Lantern, some of the "Wolverine" films. They just don't hold up.

Mundane is where the magic is at.

Last edited:
Even the X-Men, which haven't made an appearance in the new MCU...

Yet... ;) (I don't know anything you don't, just a little prediction I wrote down in an envelope, and handed to a friend. Hoping for a swami-style reveal.:lol:)

As for Fury’s eye, the story choice detailing the “how” of it doesn’t keep me up at night or anything, but if they were gonna show it at all (and I never felt they needed to), I just would’ve preferred it was more in line with his “Last time I trusted someone” line. Meh.

Saw it this weekend. I didn't have any problem with it, but I can't say it was a great Marvel movie. Didn't really like how the Skrulls were handled. I haven't bought a new Marvel comic in a couple of decades but when did Skrulls become good guys? Last thing I remember was when the Skrull homeworld was destroyed, but I don't recall them ever being poor li'l refugees. They were always the most evil race Marvel had. What happened?

Saw it this weekend. I didn't have any problem with it, but I can't say it was a great Marvel movie. Didn't really like how the Skrulls were handled. I haven't bought a new Marvel comic in a couple of decades but when did Skrulls become good guys? Last thing I remember was when the Skrull homeworld was destroyed, but I don't recall them ever being poor li'l refugees. They were always the most evil race Marvel had. What happened?

Yeah, they definitely weren't saying that ALL the Skrullls were put-upon refugees. I feel like that was pretty explicitly stated in the movie at some point (though I could be mistaken on that. Sadly, I haven't had the opportunity to rewatch since I saw it in theaters).

Was there any references to Stark Industries or Howard? I didn’t see a single Stark logo. He has been selling / building weapons for the USA since WW2, Found and did the initial work with the Tesseract, Founding member of SHIELD. Not a single box or plane in the military installation was from Stark

No mention of Stark.

But there's no real reason to. The project Pegasus goons wouldn't have known about the tesseract. That appears to be something Mar vel got handed to her, as the top level researcher in the program, then did the work by herself for secrecy sake.

Plus, Stark developed weapons and sold them to the US. Pegasus was an AF/NASA development program. Stark industries is generally always shown as a company that does all it's own r&d and testing, and just shows up with a finished product; not so much a "joint development" type of company.

Finally saw it a few weeks ago. Fun movie! I kind of wish it had been a little longer, actually, because I enjoyed the character but wish I could've gotten more of a sense of who she is with some exploration of her as a person. Still a fun film, though.

Sadly, now that I finally saw it....the Avengers is out of theaters where I would want to go and at showtimes that are reasonable. Guess I'll be waiting for THAT one to come out on "on demand" as well...

I just saw it too and I really liked it. I know nothing about the comics, so I don't know whether anything was different from the comics. I have always loved reading about fighter pilots, so she might be my new favorite. She seems like the most down to Earth superhero so far.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back