Done / Completed Captain Marvel Pager (WORKING)

JOATRASH FX

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey guys,

I've been a bit silent over the last few months, finishing up the K blaster run and working like crazy, but I'll be a bit more active come winter. I've teamed up with a friend to do some props with electronics and first-up will be Nick Fury's Captain Marvel pager from IW.

The aim is for a screen-accurate copy (modeled by me), 3d printed in professional grade resin with working display animation, led and sound.

Most of you know the kind of quality and accuracy I usually aim for, so you'll know what to expect. (Click my sig. to see some of the stuff I've done over the years or just search my nickname here on the RPF.)

(more info on cost and such in a later post on this page)

Please indicate serious interest below.
And by "serious", I mean "will almost certainly get one as long as it turns out as promised, within the cost range and I don't suddenly have a life-altering crisis of some sort". I'm sorry for having to state that but some recent runs have had about a 25-30% follow-through and that simply isn't sustainable with the R&D time/cost I put into them.

PM with any questions. (Also, feel free to suggest any other props with working electronics you might want to see done and I'll keep them in mind. In the works already are a couple REALLY cool items from GotG VOL2... )

Modeling has started on the pattern and programming of the animation is underway. We are waiting for suitable displays and electronics to come in and that will take a few weeks. In the meantime, here's a render of the current W-I-P parts.

Near-final 3d model. The pager body will be separate and the screen will likely be printed in transparent resin.
upload_2018-12-27_18-30-22.png

Thanks!
//Joe

Attachments

• pagerWIPOCt7.JPG
    pagerWIPOCt7.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 406
  • attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Price is towards the top of my spectrum, but following this to see how it develops.

For you: Fausto De Martini on Instagram: “Captain Marvel Pager design I did for Avengers, Infinity War! The final design was based on a previous version done by another artist.…”

Interesting image. Looks like the on-screen version was modded a bit from the concept drawing.

My programmer buddy is currently working on the animation graphics. There's so little memory in the smaller Arduinos that we can only use one tiny bitmap image- the rest of the GFX have to be hand-coded line-by-line, old-school style!

I don't know if this is of interest to y'all but here's a screen from the programming suite. My programming buddy did an awesome job on this. (Once we're done with this one, we're going to do a couple other Marvel items.. one of which I'm just dying to get started on.)

upload_2018-11-24_23-41-50.png

More than a little interested in seeing how this develops so please add me to your interest list JO. Cheers John

Another update on the screen.. now with SFX and fading LED. Still a lot of tweaking to do. The thing is also... that since the film pager was entirely CGI and "faked" the screen incorrectly (it had more than one color in each "pixel"), we will not be able to replicate it in a pixel-perfect fashion... it's just not physically possible.

(Still looks pretty neat though!)

Just letting everyone know that we are close to having a final working version of this to show and are coming closer to finalizing the details. It's been very hard sourcing enough suitable components for this (and my programmer said he has now used 99-point-something percent of the memory of the module) so we will not be doing many. Right now we have hardware for maybe 4-5 copies. (The board we're using is apparently out of production and the replacement isn't suitable due to having less memory, so we've had to go around in two different cities looking for shops that still had the odd copy because finding them online has been hard.) We're still trying to find alternate sources and a replacement, but the amount of interest will depend if it's worthwhile to do or not. All this is, of course, because we're tried as far as possible to replicate the CGI version in the film. (We could have made it easier if we threw goals of accuracy out the window, haha.)

These are not final numbers, but count on the kit version with all electronics costing around 350-400 and a finished built, painted+working copy to cost 800-1000, Kit versions will come pre-loaded with the programming and instructions, but will need minor soldering skills.

If you're still seriously interested in this, now would be a good time to PM ('start a conversation') me and confirm that interest. (No payments will be taken until they are ready, but with the amount of work these have been, we need to know who is committed to getting one.)

Right now we're looking at possibly offering a choice of two configurations: either one that simply starts, runs the entire sequence, then reboots again in 20-30 seconds as long as there is power. (This is for those that want to make a mounted display that is always-on.) and we are also looking at doing a second version that is more 'movie functional' that you turn on and have to press the thumb-button to start the sequence.

We might also offer soldering help at an additional cost dependent on how much time we have.

Here's a photo of the still very much W-I-P prototype, directly from the printer, just taped together:
upload_2019-1-13_22-16-12.png

The battery will be contained in the top greeblie, which is attached with two screws on the back. (Quarter included for scale.You can't see them in this photo, but the middle circuit chip actually has the PINS 3d-printed in!) The back also has a S.H.I.E.L.D logo on it, for fun.

Next thing to do will be a test-print of the clear screen once I get a chance to change resin in the machine.

Interest retracted after update that only 1 other copy may be available.

Last edited:
Small update. I am waiting for the final version to arrive so that I can do a buildup.

However, from the looks of it, we will not be sourcing new hardware and therefore only be doing TWO copies besides my own. One of those is probably spoken for. Undecided if we will offer the final copy as a kit or as a finished build.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back