Captain Jack Harkness Coat Revisited - Lots of Mods!

MattMunson

Master Member
I've gotten a lot of use out of my Harkness jacket over the years, and just love it to death. Fans have noticed that there are some inaccuracies with the jacket, but I've always believed them to be entirely forgivable, and of all the times I've worn the jacket and been seen by HUNDREDS of people (including die hard doctor who fans) nobody has ever noticed or mentioned these "problems"

However, I got a bug up in me the other day when dragging out some costumes, and decided to take a swing at making some mods to the jacket.

First thing I did was reposition four of the buttons. Now they not only form a straight line, but they actually line up to the button holes on the jacket.
buttons.jpg

Secondly, and much more complicated, I lengthened the epaulets by an inch, and added the correct rank braid.

eps.jpg

This was a MUCH more daunting task, but turned out really well.

For a lot more detail on the work I did, and a bit of build information, you can check out this post on my blog. It also includes some publicity photos that I used as research.

The Project Workbench: Captain Jack Harkness Coat Revisited

Looks great. I see the post is 2 years old. I just ordered today. I'm thinking of having authentic Queens Crown RAF buttons put on. Another difference in this and an authentic WWII RAF Greatcoat ( I own 2 Officer RAF WWII Greatcoats) is...the sleeve buttons actually button a cuff where as on Abby's they are décor.

28BDC121-AC14-435D-95DF-459577B6A0A9.jpeg
The only detail that really bothers me is the buttons on the cuffs do not actually have button holes. They’re just sown in place. Other than that it’s pretty accurate, and I like the lightweight modern material better than the original material. I have two 1940s issue RAF Officer great coats to compare it with.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back