Captain America's Helmet

andrewrgross

I'd like a Captain America helmet, and it looks like there are several options.

Option A: Pepikura

Option B: 3D Printing

Option C: Modify something existing

I've found a few examples where people made a helmet out of pepikura, sculpted it, and then cast a mold. I'd like to keep this simple if possible, so my plan is to make a very basic pepikura helmet as the base, then use 3D printed panels to build it up a bit.

I'm going to start cutting out the pattern in EVA foam using JFCustom's pattern and then move on to trying to print pieces from Captnmazur on Thingiverse.

rpf profile.jpg

If you wanted to modify something existing, I'd recommend the cat toys helmet. Can be had on Ebay for ~$100, I repainted mine with Angelus Leather acrylic paints and found a guy on facebook that does "A" and chin cup upgrade kits. Pad for fit (maybe some moisture management) and you're ready to roll.

That is awesome. Although outside my price range.

I ended up 3D printing the model I listed above. Then I smoothed it with wood filler and sanded it. Then I painted it and glued on the wings and a star. I'm really happy with how it came out.

I should have elaborated in the intro that what I wanted was a variant of his helmet to match the Captain Nomad costume I made in May.

Here it is! I'm pretty happy with the outcome. It doesn't really fit as well as I'd hoped, so I'd like to revisit this project and sculpt my own model. It's harder than I expected!

IMG_20181025_205106687.jpg
After gluing the four pieces together I spread wood filler on it and sanded to cover the seems and hide the print lines a bit.

IMG_20181101_185817808.jpgIMG_20181101_185757711.jpgIMG_20181101_185803676.jpg
I printed the wings and a star for the front. I painted the star black because I didn't want it to be TOO visible, I just wanted to add some of the greebles that they add when really good costume artists translate comic book art to real life.

IMG_20181027_165026368.jpgIMG_20181027_120753725.jpg

I really like the outcome. I still want to improve the fit, but I love wearing it anyway. I don't know Captain Marvel, but Squirrel Girl and Clint are my husband and brother, respectively.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back