Captain American Civil War Build (Suit complete-ish! Pictures to come)

brutuswayne

So after months of trying to convince myself I wasn't going to make the Civil War Cap suit (I just finished the AoU suit, I don't know if I can handle a big project like that again, it's not THAT good *is clearly lying to myself*) I decided to bite the bullet and dive into it. Each successive trailer made me love the design more and more, and the amount of high-quality screencaps and set photos just made it all the more tempting. I'm going to start patterning the suit in next weekend before I leave for Anime Boston, where I'll be wearing my AoU suit for the last time, which'll give me about 6 months to make it before NYCC 2016. This means I'll be able to go at a much more comfortable pace than when I had 3 months to do the AoU suit and had to sew for 4-5 hours each night after work. It also means I'm gonna get to experiment with a few ideas I had as I was making the AoU suit, but just didn't have the time to try it out if it turned out to not work. I also got a 3D printer for myself a few months back, so that'll make getting the buckles and greebles a bit easier! For now, I'll post up the reference photos I've collected (for anyone else who wants 'em), fabrics I'll be using/considering, and outline my plan for making the suit. Also if you haven't seen my AoU thread and are curious to check it out, it's over here.

Reference:
jeremy-renner-joins-chris-evans-on-captain-america-civil-war-set-24.jpg28D6D0B000000578-0-image-m-33_1431999769344.jpg1(4).jpg28B8FA8800000578-3083716-image-m-69_1431718211137.jpg28EEEB0D00000578-3088732-image-a-20_1432208560664.jpgcaptain-america-crossbones-fight-captain-america-civil-war-04.jpgchris-evans-anthony-mackie-get-to-action-captain-america-civil-war-55.jpgChris-Evans-On-Set-Captain-America-Civil-War-Tom-Lorenzo-Site-TLO-1.jpgCivil-War-4.jpg1rv7O7O.jpg
Frank-Grillo-Movie-Set-Crossbones-Captain-America-Civil-War-Tom-LOrenzo-Site-TLO-1.jpgfight-scene.jpg

Materials:
Navy blue cordura - rockywoods.com
Port cordura - rockywoods.com
-Possibly burgundy cordura from ebay depending on color/quality
White ponte de roma and dark red ponte de roma - fabricsworldusa.com (the actual store is nearby to where I live)
-Possibly going to use a white cordura or the silver 400D pack cloth from rockywoods.com instead of ponte if I feel I can do the embossing and tailoring with it
-Dark Navy jumbo spandex - fabricsworldusa.com
Leather 6-7 and 7-8 oz. or 7-8 and 8-9 oz. - tandyleather.co
Brown fabric to mimic custom shaped webbing on the harness and belt
Dark brown web belt
Dark brown pleather (used for the bootcovers as buying real leather for the harness, belt, and gloves will already be pretty pricey)
Navy blue pleather (shoulder rings and chest-star detailing
Healiner foam - Joanns
Craft foam - Michael's

Build Outline:
Undershirt/Overjacket
-Duct tape wrap of torso to build mockup
-Separate mockups of undershirt w/ sleeve, overjacket, and collar/back flap
-Rough patterning of seams, darts, etc
-Second/Final patterning and mockup
-Fabrication of the real pieces in the same order

Pants
-Pants sloper base for mockup
-Rough patterning, general look
-Dissasemble mockup, trace designs onto new mockup with cleaner lines
-Test 2nd mockup fit and look, disassemble into pattern
-Sew pants, figure out attach to overjacket by snaps or velcro

Harness
-Use pattern from AoU harness, adjust for closer fit and better curvature
-Mockup using craft foam and buckle (will be 3D printed and then cast)
-Adjust for final shape and fit, make final using product using leather, brown fabric, and buckles/greebles (3D printed)

Belt
-Create pattern from scratch for belt and pouches
-Make test mockup using craft foam and hot glue to check fit and look
-Make final using same leather as harness, thinner leather and webbing for pouches, buckle and greebles (3D printed)

Gloves
-Order pair of leather fingerless gloves from Amazon to cannibalize into pattern
-make mockup using muslin and draw new seams and details, cut apart for final pattern
-Sew final glove using same leather as pouches or a lighter leather and matching red fabric from suit

Boot covers
-Pin around base boots and makeshift dummy leg using muslin to make 1st mockup
-Unpin, sew, and repin 1st mockup around boot to draw seams/detail, figure out size and placement of straps
-Unpin mockup, finalize details, cut apart to make final pattern
-Sew bootcovers and straps from dark blown pleather

Weathering
-2 weeks of researching how to weather the suit and my girlfriend putting up with my anxiety about ruining it

PS If anyone has any photos/screenshots that show the back of the pants and bootcovers in better detail, I'd certainly appreciate them (and I'm sure others would as well!)

Re: Captain American Civil War Build (Planning/Reference Gathering)

So posting these up to see if I can get some opinions on a possible alternative to the blue cordura I was going to use. On the left is the navy blue cordura I used for the AoU suit with some burgundy cordura I got on ebay. On the right is another coated nylon fabric from rockywoods that isn't cordura brand, and is maybe half a shade darker. I'm excessively picky so I'm having trouble deciding which of these dark blues is the right blue.

blue 2.jpgblue 1.jpg

So posting these up to see if I can get some opinions on a possible alternative to the blue cordura I was going to use. On the left is the navy blue cordura I used for the AoU suit with some burgundy cordura I got on ebay. On the right is another coated nylon fabric from rockywoods that isn't cordura brand, and is maybe half a shade darker. I'm excessively picky so I'm having trouble deciding which of these dark blues is the right blue.

View attachment 606389View attachment 606388

Can you take some pics of them in bright daylight, so we can compare them with the CW set photos~?

So I finally took some shots in the daylight of the fabric today!

12903901_10153351662497234_589029476_o.jpg12941082_10153351662537234_251310159_o.jpg600 and 500.jpg

The difference is almost negligible, but right now I'm favoring the 600D fabric as the weave is closer in size to the red and it's very slightly darker than the 500D (which is what I used for my AoU suit)

Also, not sure why the red suddenly looks much brighter now since IRL it's a medium-dark burgundy. But I can always darken it more with weathering if I need to.

Edit: Realized I didn't include a shot of just the blues together with no red so here's another! 600D on top, 500D on bottom.

12903560_10153351832182234_899805111_o.jpg

Last edited:

I think he means the 500D :p

Hah, most likely yeah. Also now that I think of it, I might use the 500D after all. The more I look at them, the more the 500D seems a better choice for the Civil War suit, and the darker 600D better for something like the suit from Winter Soldier.

I'm probably gonna be asking you for patterning tips if/when I start my civil war build btw

Sure man, sounds good! Although I'd also suggest you take a look at SMP Designs' thread for his AoU suit and his Daredevil suit as I figured out my patterning methods by reading his stuff :)

No worries! And yeah I think I'm gonna go with the lighter one after all. I can always darken it where necessary by weathering the suit! Now I just gotta pick out the white fabric, although I might have found a super light grey that would work better, sample for that will get in in a few todays so I can place all my fabric swatches and see how they look together.

Also, just pre-ordered the Cap Civil War Hot Toys figure, most expensive reference I've ever gotten :p

I'm about to dive into one of these myself...

FYI, Spandex World has a nice ponte (burgundy) that matches the port cordura perfectly if you need to have static and stretch red areas.

I'm about to dive into one of these myself...

FYI, Spandex World has a nice ponte (burgundy) that matches the port cordura perfectly if you need to have static and stretch red areas.

Hey man! I figured you would :p Also sorry, completely forget to message you about the thread! Not that there's too much going on yet. I gotta look into them though, the cordura I got was actually from an ebay store and not rockywoods, but I imagine its probably the same as rockywoods' port.

Still waiting on some more fabric samples to come in (and duct tape mockup delayed until end of the month from a more urgent project), but hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com uploaded their photos of the Cap Civil War suit at the Hollywood Arclight theater (just like they did for the AoU suit) so I thought I'd dump some of the more helpful photos here for mine and everyone else's reference.

Pant leg forearm.jpgCap stomachbelt.jpgCap sidefront.jpgCap side.jpgCap knees boots.jpgCap glove.jpgCap chest front.jpgCap boots.jpgCap back.jpg

Here's the link to the full post if you wanna see the rest of the shots, although these personally filled in the most blanks from the set photos. Now I just need some more clear shots of the back of the pants... http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandprops.blogspot.com/2016/04/captain-america-civil-war-movie.html

This build is looking great so far...I'm sure you won't need this since you're using cordura but here's an up close photo of the fabric texture

N1HqxFT.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back