Captain America WWII WIP,Shield updates

Re: Captain America WWII Costume WIP

Payton,

Any updates on this? I knew it was only a matter of time before you started a Cap of your own!
Great Job so Far?

Thanks Jeremey!
Haven't had any time to really continue with this lately.
I have everything, but work has got me tied up.
I have been experimenting with different dyes and methods that some of the other members helped me with.

I've been weathering the clothes though the old fashion way....working in them lol

I haven't had much progress on the costume, so I turned my attention to making a movie version shield. A few members have some really nice and professional looking shields out there that it got me motivated to make one also. I'd like to thank the other members for their advice and info (spiderfan11 bugged him a lot lol)
The pics aren't great, had to use my cell phone. Not sure if the pics are viewable, if not I'll post more asap. I'm going to try to paint it up this weekend (work permitting)

Last edited:

Some better pics, hopefully.

The shield diameter is 27 inches, I made the blue circle 9" diameter and the remaining rings worked out to 3" each.

Oh geez, forgot to post that part lol

The flexible steel saucer on amazon
Amazon.com: Flexible Flyer Steel Saucer: Sports & Outdoors

I cut the outer rim off and filled the rope holes with bondo.

It turned out pretty well so far. I bought some Duplicolor spray paint from Auto Zone so now comes the patience testing part of taping the lines and painting it.

Check my shield from 4th grade 1977 and my mom's sewing work lol

Brief update. I've been painting the shield and kinda did it bass ackwards.
Still have to do the blue around the star. I like the red, but I'm sure I'm like the silver.
The red spots near the star are from the original paint of the sled but the blue will cover.

Once again, I need to use my digital instead of cell phone for pics.

Better pics below.

Last edited:

I got rid of the previous cell phone pics.
Finished the paint for the shield and had an idea for the star.
I cut light gauge aluminum to look the movie version of the star. I'm not sure if I'll go with this idea. Was thinking of having a signmaker do a very fine pinstriping to match the look or use a fine tip engraving to get it as close as possible.
Any thoughts are welcome.

I may have this costume finished before the sequel lol

Thanks, still have some fine tuning on the paint and then clear coat.

I want to do something with the star before the clear coat but can't decide which direction to go

Thanks guys for the kind words.

I touched up all the paint areas that needed attention. I'm at a standstill with the star though. I want to make it look like the movie version (it's just sliver spray paint now)

I'm thinking of having someone engrave it or have a superfine vinyl or painted pinstripe put on. The aluminum I cut just doesn't look right.

Any ideas are welcome.

Took my shield to a signmaker. He's going to hand paint the star for me. He said that he can paint the lines and actually paint two lines to give it a beveled look to it. I'm anxious to see how this turns out. The engraving thing would have been great but way to tedious for me to try since I couldn't find anyone else to do it.

Fantastic work so far on your costume!! Can't wait to see more pics. Keep up the great work. That shield looks amazing!!

Looking great man. masking those circles is a nightmare right? but came out amazing. If you change your mind about color scheme they make a hammered steel spray paint thats easy to use and cheap and will mimic metal.Home depot,even walmart should have it but i love the way it looks now. Ive got to get one of these saucers too.

Thanks guys for the nice replies.
It was very tedious taping off the shield, I had some serious agita lol
It was definitely more difficult than the triangle shield I did.

But it was a good learning experience doing it. I appreciate the advice some of the members provided. I called my sign maker today to see if has started on the star and he said he laid it out yesterday.

Hopefully he will have it finished before this weekend, would be great time to clear coat and finish it up.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back