Captain America: The Winter Soldier Cosplay!

TheHondaRebel

Hey RPF! I am very new here. I registered about a week ago but I have been on only a few threads and seen very little. Glad to meet you guys!

Anywho, I'm here to discuss the build of the stealth suit which I want to create. I am a noob at cosplaying, only having experience in a horrible MK9 Raiden costume and a handmade Master Chief armor set that I never saw to completion (The thigh, calf, and helmet on the MC was something I couldn't figure out handmade).

But I am determined to get a stealth suit done. Now, I would of just brought CosplaySky's stealth suit on eBay and just be done with it, but I am building my body up to be the dimensions of a 30 inch waist/ 44-45 inch waist. If CosplaySky could of made suits custom to these dimensions, I would of brought it. But that is not the case and I want your help to build a custom stealth suit with the dimensions specified. I want that Steve Rodgers physique you know? Haha

Now, I don't know how to sew, so any comments or links of a proven tutorial would be appreciated.

Any other comments on how I should start or what materials I need are also appreciated. I want the suit built with quality close or even over the cinematic suit. I want people to say, "Wow, you're the real deal!" Haha.

I want to get this done by the time Civil War drops so I can wear it to the premiere :)

Thanks a bunch!

Check out SMP designs threads for tips on how to go about making the pattern. I will be updating my thread sometime in the next week as well.

-Adam

Just a warning, Cosplaysky's custom measurements are typically way off when it comes to the waist sizing. Those who've ordered the stealth suit with custom measurements on this forum can attest to that.

Damn. Is there anyway I could address this?

Not really, some people have complained and gotten Cosplaysky to re-do it but it still isn't quite right, plus you have to deal with all that back and forth, and they're based in China. One option is to get a standard size like a L based on your target measurements, and then have a tailor adjust it after you receive it. The standard size charts are accurate, I can confirm that as I ordered the AoU Cap suit in size M and it was sized as advertised. Chances are you'll probably need to tailor a custom order from Cosplaysky anyway. Good luck.

Not really, some people have complained and gotten Cosplaysky to re-do it but it still isn't quite right, plus you have to deal with all that back and forth, and they're based in China. One option is to get a standard size like a L based on your target measurements, and then have a tailor adjust it after you receive it. The standard size charts are accurate, I can confirm that as I ordered the AoU Cap suit in size M and it was sized as advertised. Chances are you'll probably need to tailor a custom order from Cosplaysky anyway. Good luck.

Never worked with a tailor. What should I expect?

Personally I would go a size up based on my experience. Easier for a seamstress to remove material and make it smaller then make it bigger. But as third3ye said the sizing on their chart is good.
I was one of those affected with the custom sizing though for a different costume. Ordered the Arrow costume and the waist was too short. After said and done I got 3 jackets sitting at my house.

Hey everyone,

I am building the Stealth Suit and am currently working on the shield and would like your opinions. I figured since the shield is going with my stealth suit, I felt that I should make it a little more dark and went with a matte clear coat to give it a more "stealthy look". Do you guys think I should keep the matte finish or do it in gloss? The collage pic is before I put the matte clear coat on and the other two are with the matte finish.

IMG_0539.JPGIMG_0544.JPGIMG_0545.JPG

I decided to confront them on the mismatching waists for the custom measurements and this is what they said:

"Dear ,

Thanks for your kindly inquiry .

If you chose the size " custom made", our professional tailor would custom made the costume based on your measurements, the finished one would suit you perfectly , pls do not worry .

Some customers complained on this part for the unfitness as the size you have offered to us was incorrect.

Kindly hope you can notice that and looking forward to your order soon .

Any other questions, pls feel free to contact us.

Summer"

They are definitely based in China lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the issue with ordering a custom size online - they don't have your actual body to measure with! Even if they can get all the requested measurements right, it is likely still not going to fit you as well as taking it to a tailor in person and getting it done the right way. And obviously their sales rep is going to tell you they can do custom measurements correctly, not exactly the most unbiased statement there.

I'm very close to getting my AoU Cap suit back from the tailor and tried it on this morning, it looks great, no way any online shop can match that level of fit around my body. I'll have pics posted up over the weekend at the Cosplaysky Cap AoU thread, the difference will be staggering compared to a custom job by Cosplaysky.

Here's the issue with ordering a custom size online - they don't have your actual body to measure with! Even if they can get all the requested measurements right, it is likely still not going to fit you as well as taking it to a tailor in person and getting it done the right way. And obviously their sales rep is going to tell you they can do custom measurements correctly, not exactly the most unbiased statement there.

I'm very close to getting my AoU Cap suit back from the tailor and tried it on this morning, it looks great, no way any online shop can match that level of fit around my body. I'll have pics posted up over the weekend at the Cosplaysky Cap AoU thread, the difference will be staggering compared to a custom job by Cosplaysky.

I do think I'll take the tailor route on this one. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll order a base size suit. Any other suggestions?

And mind explaining how it works with the tailor? Never worked with one. Is it somewhat like working with someone in a tuxedo shop to see what fits you best? What are the ballpark fees to get it readjusted?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back