Captain america TFA question

gunnerk19

Master Member
I've been watching the film recently when it's on TV, and one thing is bugging me. When Steve Rogers is in his dress uniform, he has an American Campaign ribbon and a Purple Heart 2nd Award ribbon above his CIB. How did he earn the Purple Hearts?

I've been watching the film recently when it's on TV, and one thing is bugging me. When Steve Rogers is in his dress uniform, he has an American Campaign ribbon and a Purple Heart 2nd Award ribbon above his CIB. How did he earn the Purple Hearts?

Just because he's Captain America doesn't mean he's invulnerable. It's not inconceivable that he might have been wounded in action.

In fact, given his propensity for self-sacrifice (throwing himself on a grenade, for example), I'd say it's LIKELY he was wounded in action. He just heals better than most would.

I agree, even in the comic books he's not bullet proof so I have no doubt he'd have gotten hurt at some point. And I agree that he does tend to have this habit of thinking he is bullet proof and getting in the way of danger. He might have gotten one just for surviving the serum they gave him.

If I recall correctly, the original 1941 Captain America comic featured Bucky as Cap's sidekick, and much younger than him. Kind of like Dick Grayson to Bruce Wayne.

If I recall correctly, the original 1941 Captain America comic featured Bucky as Cap's sidekick, and much younger than him. Kind of like Dick Grayson to Bruce Wayne.

Correct. Bucky was Cap's Robin.... which, if you think about it, makes even less sense than Batman and Robin because Cap was constantly in a warzone rather than just on the streets of his hometown. LOL

I think he wanted to destory what he could of Hydra's weapons. He didn't want anyone to have that technology.
My guess is, that is why Cap was so upset at the beginning of the Avengers when he heard about the tesseract and then found the weapons on the Helicarrier.

And he had to have a reason to find his way into the ice.... but yeah HISHE covered it.... can fly the little bomb around but cant land the big bomber?

Here's another question: When stuff (ie bullets, people's heads) hit Cap's shield, why does it make a sound? Shouldn't the sound vibrations all be absorbed by the shield?

Also why does it bounce off of objects when he throws it? If that kinetic energy isn't absorbed shouldn't he have bounced a few feet when he landed on it after falling through the glass ceiling/jumping out of the elevator in TWS? (I'll overlook that the concrete floor came out of that contact no worse for wear)

Here's another question: When stuff (ie bullets, people's heads) hit Cap's shield, why does it make a sound? Shouldn't the sound vibrations all be absorbed by the shield?

Also why does it bounce off of objects when he throws it? If that kinetic energy isn't absorbed shouldn't he have bounced a few feet when he landed on it after falling through the glass ceiling/jumping out of the elevator in TWS? (I'll overlook that the concrete floor came out of that contact no worse for wear)
I thought of that and brought that up before.
One possibility is that it doesn't absorb all vibration from the entire spectrum - just a select range that dampens traumatic kinetic impulse.
I'm ok with that.

Consider it artistic license by the filmmakers. During the commentary for TWS in the minigun scene, one of the Russo brothers even admitted that bullets shouldn't deflect from Cap's shield like that but they did it anyway for the sake of the scene.

As for the purple hearts in TFA, maybe the prop master just had a bunch lying around :lol

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back