Captain America: TFA Helmet buildup - 99% Complete!

Kevin Gossett

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Figured I should finally start a thread on this one...

I purchased one of roblenzz's excellent TFA raw casts (highly recommend the product and the guy!), which can be seen here. Required very little cleanup work, and he even gave me some tips on how to do the leatherwork.

2012-03-09125202.jpg

2012-03-13004754.jpg

As I was about to put the final layer of primer on, a gust of wind came through and knocked the helmet off my makeshift painting stand onto the concrete deck, and put a crack in the crown of the helmet! So I decided to make this one a battle-damaged helmet :lol

It was a simple fix actually... Put a bead of super glue along the crack, and held the pieces flush. Once the glue dried, I sanded everything down again, put a little spot putty down to smooth everything out, and then reprimered. Good as new! (mostly :lol)

To determine the locations of the damage, I studied several screencaps from the film, and marked them onto the painted helmet with a silver Sharpie. Once it was marked up, I went at it with my Dremel!

IMG_20120324_191059.jpg

IMG_20120324_191107.jpg

Now that all the "damage" was done, I layed down another coat of blue

IMG_20120324_192146.jpg

Then I hand-painted the damage areas with a mixture of paints varying from black to grey to white

IMG_20120324_200640.jpg

Once that was done, I masked off the "A" and wings, and then misted a few very light coats of white.

IMG_20120328_193724.jpg

Still need to wetsand the whole thing, and then do a little aging to it. But with the painting done, I needed to start on the leather work... Also, I received a second casting (which is even better than the first!) so I could have a "new" helmet as well. The battle-damaged one just might go up in the JY once it is complete. :thumbsup

Using the patterns Bobby provided me, I started tracing and cutting the leather.

IMG_20120408_163551.jpg

IMG_20120408_163607.jpg

Bobby also sent me a chin cup from his supplier, and I made a second one by wetforming the leather over a ceramic dish that just happened to have the same profile.

So I've got all the pieces cut for the battle-damaged helmet, and most of the pieces cut for the "new" helmet. I also ordered a 5/8" aluminum slide buckle I found on ebay. I have a 3/4" buckle from Strapworks.com as well, but I think it is just too big. Finally, I picked up some leather sewing machine needles to be able to use my wife's sewing machine. I should be getting that part started in the next few days... Hopefully that part goes well! :lol

Stay tuned :)

Last edited:
Re: Captain America: TFA Helmet buildup

loove it dude that is awesome great work!!
Im waiting for the avengers Captain helmet
But ill be watching this for tips :D

Re: Captain America: TFA Helmet buildup

Broke out the wife's sewing machine tonight and got it all set up. Attempted some practice runs on some scraps, and ran into a big problem. I don't think the machine can handle the leather, for some reason it won't stitch :confused :cry :facepalm

Had my wife take a look at it to make sure everything was set up correctly, and she is stumped. So now I'm at a loss as to where to go next... I really don't want to sew everything by hand, but that may be my only option. Any thoughts?

Re: Captain America: TFA Helmet buildup - Sewing Problems!

So, I did a little digging yesterday and discovered I might have been having thread tension problems. I did a few more tests at different tensions, but was still getting the same results. I was about to give up, and then it hit me... My needle was in backwards! :facepalm :behave :facepalm :lol :lol

Once I got that sorted out, everything was cake! I was able to get all of the pickstitching along the edges done, and most of the right side completed:

IMG_20120412_105619.jpg

Waiting for my elastic to come in before I finish off this side, and I'll work on the other side today. This should be done in the next couple of days :)

Re: Captain America: TFA Helmet buildup - Back on track!

Very cool. I like the damaged looked of the helmet.

Thanks for the feedback guys! Can't wait to get this one finished so I can start on my other :lol

Well I decided to hunker down and get this as close to being done tonight as I could...

Finished all the leather work, and then started assembling everything. Only thing left to do now is weather it a bit more!

IMG_20120412_222515.jpg

IMG_20120412_222445.jpg

IMG_20120412_222506.jpg

IMG_20120412_222458.jpg

IMG_20120412_222423.jpg

IMG_20120412_222434.jpg

And of course I couldn't resist trying it on... :lol

IMG_20120412_222720.jpg

IMG_20120412_222738.jpg

A little bit of roughing up the leather and a little sanding of the helmet and this will be done. Then I can start on the next one :lol

Small update. Did a little bit of wet sanding to get a more worn look in certain areas, and put the metal "pins" in the leather earcovers. I'll try to get some pictures up tomorrow. Just about done :)

I've used the "it's a little rough so let's call it battle-damaged" excuse plenty of time. I love the helmet--looks great with the "battle-damaged" look.

Thanks! Here is the finished product, complete with an ash rubdown :)

DSC_0674.jpg

DSC_0676.jpg

DSC_0675.jpg

I think I'll spray a matte clearcoat in order to keep the ash intact

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back