Captain America TFA Build (WIP)

Chris27989

Sr Member
Hi Guys
After getting my Cap shield nearly finished and looking a CaptainSuperman's Captain 1:1 display, I thought why not get the suit to go with the shield. And of course my first stop was the JY and no luck then I hit the bay and came back with three options
1:
Captain America Costume The First Avenger Halloween Costume NEW | eBay
2:
Captain America new halloween costume any size | eBay
Captain America new halloween Avenger's costume any size | eBay

Luckily I like TFA costume and the Avengers Costume
Of course which ever one I buy will need new chest stars and arm stars and I'll have to buy a Helmet from the JY.

My question to you guys is which one is my best chances at a base suit 1, 2, 3?

Thanks Chris

Last edited:
Re: Which one is a good base suit for the Cap

Your first one would be the best base suit if you go them to leave the star patches off the arms and the star off the chest.

NOt as accurate as the first option. It is missing the chest stitching totally. It looks to be almost exactly the same as the second option.

it might just be me, but the shoulder/arm guards seem to go way too far down on the first one.
but i say go with finheads judgement, he is way more experienced than me :)

I agree with finhead the first option would be the easiest and more accurate.

Hi Chris,

I'm so glad you posted this thread because I've been doing the EXACT same thing as you. Trying to decide on a base suit. I think it all depends on the amount of accuracy you want. I've been leaning toward the Hello Cosplay one because, after PunisherNC and CaptainSuperman were done with it, it looked pretty dang good. You can see it here after several mods were done.

http://www.therpf.com/f24/finished-1-1-tfa-captain-america-display-130403/index6.html

The thing is, I want more accuracy so I'm fully expecting to do heavy mods and (hopefully) requesting more fabric from whatever Cosplay site I go with to do so.

I hesitate on the first one because the denim fabric looks cheesy. But that's just me. Otherwise, it's definitely the only cosplay suit that got the back right.

If you really want to spend money, you can get Indy Magnoli's suit he just started offering (Super Soldier Uniform.) But, honestly, I can't justify spending that much on the base suit, that doesn't include a chest star, shoulder stars, etc... full well knowing you'd still have to buy those, boots, gloves, helmet, shield, and so on. This suit, if done right, is expensive sure, but I think I can personally get something satisfactory once some heavy modifications are done. I hope to get this done over the next year and I'll definitely post pics once completed.

Anyway, that may not have been helpful, but I personally would vote for Hello Cosplay (with mods of course) or Indy's if you can afford it. That is defintitely quality work.

Oh, and if you want to see Indy's on someone here, check this out: http://www.therpf.com/f24/captain-america-tfa-costume-wip-pic-heavy-148512/

Crusaderman I have to agree the hello cosplay is the best option as the accuracy colour is pretty good and also it doesn't come with the hat so I don't have to feel like I'm wasting money throwing it in the bin!

Chris,

This is a really good thread.
Yes, what others did with the hello cosplay looks great. I wouldn't have thought that would have been the same suit. As you can guess, the straps on the back would have to be redone. I assume you are going to get the stars and buckles in the junkyard.
Guess that is why choice one is better because of the back straps. I wonder if the shoulders looks off because the mannequin is too small for the uniform.
Considering that the proper fabric seems impossible to get... at least from reading here... guess denim, cotton duck, or twill are the only options.
Add in labor and $169 doesn't seem that bad.

Last edited:

Thanks fly4v
The problem with the first suit is that the belt it totally incorrect and the accessory bags are the wrong colour so new ones would be need, but the plus side is the back strap are closer to accurate!!
But the hello cosplay one looks a good base for me as like you said I'll get the stars and buckles from the JY and add them on and the back strap I can do eventually as my skills grow. I do love the indy version but to rich for me with all the work that needs doing but if I was richer it would be the one for me no questions asked

Actually our fabric is herringbone weave, custom-dyed and the straps under the arms are brown, not black. ;)

Open mouth, insert foot, wiggle toes for more pleasure.

Magnoli, Sorry photos looked off. I retract what I said.
As pointed out with the correct fabric. Yes, the Indy is the thing.

Chris,
I had assumed you would make a custom pistol belt since none of the cosplay have the M1911 Holster with US on the flap.

Also, I currently couldn't afford either the Indy or UD and wouldn't buy the UD until seeing one firsthand.

A custom belt is one the list but with all the other projects on my bench atm I could at least live with the pistol belt it comes with on the hello cosplay one

Herringbone weave is not the correct fabric. The correct fabric is nylon with a silk screened patteren very easy to see in any close up shots.

Magnoli, Sorry photos looked off. I retract what I said.
As pointed out with the correct fabric. Yes, the Indy is the thing.
QUOTE]

dont get the 3rd one for sure. the materials way to hard and unrealistic. Im starting to belive whatever the material used for the avengers suit, it really sticks to the body.

Herringbone weave is not the correct fabric. The correct fabric is nylon with a silk screened patteren very easy to see in any close up shots.

So where do we buy this silk screened nylon?
I read that the fabric was custom made. Can find twill, duck, and denim in the correct color but the weave is wrong.
Custom re-dyed harringbone seems the only option for a correct or near correct appearance of both weave and color.
The fellow that did the 99.9% TFA suit seems to have been the only person to get a near correct fabric off the shelf.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back