Captain America shield review...Need Help!

utown62

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a custom stealth cap shield from a company called No Limit Designs (http://www.knowlimitdesigns.com). I wanted to write a review of my experience and get your thoughts on the shield itself.

I will first start by saying that I have purchased a spider-man suit from this company and while the suit was delivered several weeks late and the communication throughout wasn't the best, the quality of the suit once received was very good, and I am ultimately happy with it.

I wanted to give them a shot at a Captain America shield that they have advertised on the website, but I wanted a stealth paint job on it. This is technically a custom project for them, so the price went up (3 times their normal price) and they gave a time estimate of 8-12 weeks. 12 weeks later, and several emails saying they were working on it, I began to receive pictures of the painting process asking for input. They asked if I wanted battle damage effects on top of the standard stealth pain. I thought that battle damage paint effects would be really cool, so I said yes.

The shield finally came and upon opening it, I was put off by the "wonky" edges. I will say that I loved the paint job, but was disappointed by the actual quality of the shield.

IMG_6280.jpg

IMG_6281.jpg

IMG_6283.jpg
IMG_6284.jpg
IMG_6285.jpg

When I was getting updates on the paint, I only saw it from the front, like the first picture. At that time I was really pleased with it, but after seeing the edges in person, I was really bummed out. I'm almost embarrassed even just hanging it for display because it's just a reminder of how much I paid for something I'm not pleased with.

I have reached out to them and expressed my concerns, but because it is a "custom order," they are unwilling to return it. I even offered to pay for return shipping and they will not accept it back.

What are your thoughts on the shield? Is it as bad as I'm making it, or am I making a fuss over nothing??????

Thanks!

Oh dang 3 times the price is extreme. I totally understand your frustration, for the price it's a poor paint job imho and it should not have those edges
Did you also want the red paint to remain underneath the new coat?
Maybe you could strip all of it's paint and have somebody/yourself repaint it :)

Goodluck man

Haha I actually like the paint...there's a movie poster of the shield and it has the red paint coming through so I asked them to pretty much mimic that.

It's the edges that are the problem...I don't have any way of smoothing them out. Their argument is that it is made to look "battle damaged" but when I agreed to that, I didn't think they would actually damage the shield haha. I've never seen Cap's shield do that...

Thanks for your input!

What is that made of stamped sheet metal?

Since it is a battle damaged shield, you can try smoothing those waves along the edge and repaint it.
That is if you want it as a wall hanger.

If want want a decent shield to carry get one of Hasbro's Marvel Legends.
The regular plastic ones haven't gone up in price too badly and are still better than the airsoft shields.

Three times the normal price just to paint it like that?

And their "battle damage" is awful. It looks like they just took a damaged, "Reject" shield blank, painted it and sent it off to you.

Personally, I'd file a charge back with my credit card company to get some leverage into getting them to agreeing to take it back.

Lately NLD has been caught up in a lot of drama. This is just absolutely terrible, sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with them. But I agree with Dungeonstone, file a charge back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not exactly sure...it’s aluminum I believe. I may try to figure out a way to smooth it out, just frustrating to pay so much to still have to fix it!

I’ll look into the Legends one! Thanks!

Yeah I should’ve known from that price...my own fault there. My wife said the same thing about it being a “reject” blank!

That’s a great idea, I didn’t think about going through my credit card. I ordered it off Etsy and used my credit card, so hopefully between both of them I can recoup something! I’ve already started a dispute with Etsy

- - - Updated - - -

Well I’m sorry to hear I’m not the only one! I haven’t seen any of their other drama. I’ll definit look into filing it with my credit card

it really does look like a reject. They didn't shrink the edges! Really!?!?

But you asked for "battle damaged," which they can now use to claim they gave you battle damaged.

The jagged pill is, this is a lesson learned. When you ask for "custom," ask for pristine, perfect custom. Otherwise, you get a dinged reject.

Did you know people pay extra for dinged up, pre damaged guitars? Same for jeans. That is NUTZ!!!

Now they can claim they catered to you, went the extra mile, and you are being finicky/pickey/don't want anymore. Even the painting looks rushed...er, battle damaged.

Get a hickory mallet and flatten those edges, remove the paint and start over with the paint job.

Looking at the shield on their website the edges look wonky on that too. Of course I can’t say I would have picked up on that if I wasn’t specifically looking for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wow. That’s horrible. No offense and I’m not trying to make you feel bad, but if I got that I’d be sooo pissed I’d have emailed them right away demanding a refund.

I have a few Cap shields. In the movies, it NEVER is edge damaged. Only scratched on the front.

Honestly it sounds like a bit of miscommunication. Battle damaged is very vague. I had a pal make a Sandtrooper helmet for me. He said “dirty and used?” and I said sure. It came to me looking like it had been hit by a truck. Dirty is one thing, cracked, muddy and covered in brush strokes is another. Luckily he was a friend so we worked it out.

I’d give them a shot to correct it, but if you paid with a credit card I’d start the chargeback process just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it really does look like a reject. They didn't shrink the edges! Really!?!?

But you asked for "battle damaged," which they can now use to claim they gave you battle damaged.

The jagged pill is, this is a lesson learned. When you ask for "custom," ask for pristine, perfect custom. Otherwise, you get a dinged reject.

Did you know people pay extra for dinged up, pre damaged guitars? Same for jeans. That is NUTZ!!!

Now they can claim they catered to you, went the extra mile, and you are being finicky/pickey/don't want anymore. Even the painting looks rushed...er, battle damaged.

Get a hickory mallet and flatten those edges, remove the paint and start over with the paint job.

Yeah...that’s the problem. They’re saying they did exactly what I asked for . A hickory mallet is a good idea, if it comes down to me having to keep this thing, that’s what I’ll do. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at the shield on their website the edges look wonky on that too. Of course I can’t say I would have picked up on that if I wasn’t specifically looking for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Haha yeah, after I got mine, I went back and saw that too. The problem is they only show it from the front or the back, so it makes it really hard to see that. Had they shown it from the side, I would’ve known to stay away.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow. That’s horrible. No offense and I’m not trying to make you feel bad, but if I got that I’d be sooo pissed I’d have emailed them right away demanding a refund.

I have a few Cap shields. In the movies, it NEVER is edge damaged. Only scratched on the front.

Honestly it sounds like a bit of miscommunication. Battle damaged is very vague. I had a pal make a Sandtrooper helmet for me. He said “dirty and used?” and I said sure. It came to me looking like it had been hit by a truck. Dirty is one thing, cracked, muddy and covered in brush strokes is another. Luckily he was a friend so we worked it out.

I’d give them a shot to correct it, but if you paid with a credit card I’d start the chargeback process just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No offense taken! I was really bummed when I first opened it because I had been looking forward to it for months. I emailed them that night haha. After several back and forth emails, unfortunately it sounds like they’re unwilling to do anything about the shield edges. They say “it’s exactly how they intended.”

Your point about the movies was exactly the point I was trying to make to them haha. I will be contacting my credit card today!

Thanks for your input.

I hope the credit card angle works. Sadly if you’ve been in this hobby a day or two it’s happened to us all in some way shape or form.

Yes it is as bad as you are making it out to be. Get a refund and then go to a real metal spinner. Look for Smitty Tut...

Yes it is as bad as you are making it out to be. Get a refund and then go to a real metal spinner. Look for Smitty Tut...

Contacted my credit card this morning, hopefully it works out!

Thanks for that name, his work look amazing, will definitely be in contact!

I hope it works out!!

To me, that is 100%, completely NOT acceptable.

No Limit Designs (http://www.knowlimitdesigns.com).

Goes on my NEVER (EVER) DO BUSINESS WITH LIST!

Thank you for sharing. The best way is to get the word out to other makers/collectors about these clowns.

The more people who know the less business they will get.

shame on them.

I hope it works out!!

To me, that is 100%, completely NOT acceptable.

No Limit Designs (http://www.knowlimitdesigns.com).

Goes on my NEVER (EVER) DO BUSINESS WITH LIST!

Thank you for sharing. The best way is to get the word out to other makers/collectors about these clowns.

The more people who know the less business they will get.

shame on them.

Thank you! I don’t want anyone else to have the same experience that I did. I appreciate your support!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back