Captain America shield help?

starspangled

Hey! So I'm pretty new to this, I'm not exactly the DIY type, but with a whole load of time in the summer I've decided to try a hand at painting a captain America shield first. I have an aluminum blank so far, but I have a few questions. (I've done as much research as I can, but being from the UK it seems some products here are different to the US, and there are a few conflicting ideas) So most people use Duplicolour, is that the best brand for painting? Are there any other brands of anodised paint that are available in the UK that may act as a decent substitute? I've also seen a few conflicting opinions on which take to use, so to avoid peeling/bleeding, which tape is best to tape up the shield? Is wet sanding and buffing a must-do? I could probably wet sand - but I don't think I'd have access to a buffer at this point. Could you do one without the other? Also, in the grooves separating the colours, inside what colour are they? Do you paint them? If so what's the best type of method? Would you block those out with tape? Is there any real trick to painting to get a good finish? And also - clear gloss. What's the best brand/way of achieving that. I'm not really looking for perfect, exactly like the movie results, but I'd like something close. Thank you! Sorry for the load of questions.

we cant get duplicolor here in the uk unfortunately. except for one site that i know of that rarely has it in stock. as far as i know the only decent anodised paint we have access to is vht. i havent used it myself but i think thats the next best brand.

we cant get duplicolor here in the uk unfortunately. except for one site that i know of that rarely has it in stock. as far as i know the only decent anodised paint we have access to is vht. i havent used it myself but i think thats the next best brand.

Hmm.. Do you know of anyone who has used VHT for this?

I used VHT on a couple of my Shields.
I was happy with the results.
There are some pictures on here somewhere. If you can't find them I can put them in this thread after work tomorrow.
I used the green frog tape on mine. If you stick it on your arm first then the shield it won't stick as bad.
I never wet sanded mine.
I taped over the grooves then pushed the tape in with my finger. Then gently cut the tape with my nice by running it around the groove.
The main tip i would say is very fine coats. You can always add another coat. If you go too heavy it will look poor.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back