Captain America Shield Dimensions

kaiserthegreat

I've been dreaming of a shield. I read somewhere about getting one spun from Accurate Metal Spinning, so dropped them a line and got a price and dimensions. But then I wasn't sure what the dimensions are "supposed" to be, so I made these for myself and thought I'd share. (BTW, AMS will do whatever you want, they just quoted me their stock dimensions. Also, I have since talked to someone else from AMS who's stock dimension answer was a bit closer, but I didn't draw that one up.)

page-0.jpgpage-1.jpgpage-2.jpgpage-3.jpg

Assuming I did all of these right (and that's a big assumption), the movie dimensions seem to be the smallest of the samples selected. That makes sense to me, though, because the movie shield did seem shrunk down a bit in the actual film, presumably to make it less cumbersome for running around with. (Chris Evans isn't an actually super-soldier.) I'd love to hear from shield owners on what dimensions they decided to go with.

I really depends on what YOU are trying to achieve. Here's a thread where some of us debated this: http://www.therpf.com/f9/captain-america-shield-star-dimension-130400/

If you are going for accurate to the movie(s), I think you can safely eliminate:

"Comic Book Shield" ... 30 inches is WAAAY to large.

"Accurate Metal Standard" ... the 8" center circle is proportionally too small in a 26 or even 25 inch shield. Accurate usually ships a 26 inch shield with a 9.5" center that looks prortionally correct. This has been discussed and generally agreed upon.

Not sure about the 27" diameter of the "Factory X" ... I was told that the shields for the movie was usually either 25 or 26 inches.

In my opinion, after close study of many of the hero shield images, I think "movie accurate" is best achieved with: 25-inch shield with a 9.5-inch center circle.

Now, there's a little room for interpretation and personal preference. I think a 25 with a 10-inch center is proportionally fine. As is a 26 with a 10-inch center.

It's really about maintaining the "proportional look" of the movie shield.

Last edited:
Listen to Valor about maintaining the proportions.

I have the airsoft shield. It is 23 1/4 inch wide with a 10 1/2 inch center, actual contour, while nice... it looks off with the TFA uniform.

How deep are these shields? 2-3" I am guessing? I was just going to buy a blank on e-bay, but I haven't seen one on there recently. I will continue to keep an eye out, but might just contact AMS or another spinner directly.

I really depends on what YOU are trying to achieve. Here's a thread where some of us debated this: http://www.therpf.com/f9/captain-america-shield-star-dimension-130400/

If you are going for accurate to the movie(s), I think you can safely eliminate:

"Comic Book Shield" ... 30 inches is WAAAY to large.

"Accurate Metal Standard" ... the 8" center circle is proportionally too small in a 26 or even 25 inch shield. Accurate usually ships a 26 inch shield with a 9.5" center that looks prortionally correct. This has been discussed and generally agreed upon.

Not sure about the 27" diameter of the "Factory X" ... I was told that the shields for the movie was usually either 25 or 26 inches.

In my opinion, after close study of many of the hero shield images, I think "movie accurate" is best achieved with: 25-inch shield with a 9.5-inch center circle.

Now, there's a little room for interpretation and personal preference. I think a 25 with a 10-inch center is proportionally fine. As is a 26 with a 10-inch center.

It's really about maintaining the "proportional look" of the movie shield.

Well.. Them measurements are different to the ACTUAL screen used ones i measured from first avenger.

26" . 9" centre circle. Inner silver and red rings were. 2 3/4" wide each with the outer ring being 3 1/4" wide. Depth was approx 3 1/2".

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I have both the plastic Marvel Legends and the metal 75th Anniversary version and both are pretty popular among Cap cosplayers due to availability, weight, and size. IMO, even the 24" diameter looks big when held depending on build. I'm roughly Evans' height (6'1") and a little less built and I think 24" is about right for me. From a practicality standpoint, even this size can be cumbersome at a crowded convention but isn't bad from a weight standpoint to tote around all day.

Specifically discussing the ABS Legends shield, the proportions are pretty good and it can be easily weathered or repainted to look more screen-accurate.

Here's a pic of me from 2017 right after I'd gotten everything together for my CW build. That's a repainted plastic marvel legends. I went for somewhat of a cleaner look than most of Civil War. Appologies for the image quality.

Very cool costume. Thanks for the details and the picture..it looks like the costume that was on display recently in Philadelphia at a Marvel event.
The one in the listing is 19". That seems small plus the promo video they use for advertising has the Marvel prop master speaking about the prop and he says it is a direct copy but at 19", that can't be true so I'm wondering if the seller is using that video from another shield to promote theirs.

It claims to be aluminum which I like...but not sure about being so much smaller.

Very cool costume. Thanks for the details and the picture..it looks like the costume that was on display recently in Philadelphia at a Marvel event.
The one in the listing is 19". That seems small plus the promo video they use for advertising has the Marvel prop master speaking about the prop and he says it is a direct copy but at 19", that can't be true so I'm wondering if the seller is using that video from another shield to promote theirs.

It claims to be aluminum which I like...but not sure about being so much smaller.
That whole site looks pretty shady, like one of those fake online storefronts that just aggregates links and doesn't really offer anything directly. Might want to just get one directly from the source:

That whole site looks pretty shady, like one of those fake online storefronts that just aggregates links and doesn't really offer anything directly. Might want to just get one directly from the source:

Thanks. I had seen this somewhere but lost the link. This one is plastic though, no? They don't say but I recall reasing elsewhere it's not metal.

Thanks. I had seen this somewhere but lost the link. This one is plastic though, no? They don't say but I recall reasing elsewhere it's not metal.
Yeah it's plastic/ABS with metallic paint. I've read the star and blue section is oversized but I think it's good value overall. Another option would be the CATTOYS one on eBay for a little more. They make a metal version too.

Holy cow, I just scrolled down on your original link and saw the picture reviews for what some of the people are actually being sent from the site. It's definitely not the Marvel Legends version.

If you want a reliable site to order the Cattoys shield, I recommend showzstore. They've got several versions/finishes available for both the plastic and metal shields. I'd go for the v2.0 Cattoys. Don't bother with their v1 model.

There is another metal one from China that they have for less than $200, but that one looks kind of bad.

The v2.0 is bigger than the v1.0 by 3cm, so its about 60cm in diameter. Been meaning to get one to repaint to this version.
XuJCw.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back