Captain America retitled in three intl. markets?

Sluis Van Shipyards

Legendary Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
This is bizarre: Captain America: The First Avenger Retitled for Three International Markets

One, I don't know why "Captain America" would be offensive or off putting to South Koreans. Two I get why people in Russia or the Ukraine might not like it, but from what I've heard they really like American movies and products there. Three, if any people there don't like the U.S., they are going to be p*ssed when the movies starts. :lol

Same crap that caused GI Joe to originally be a UN team and not a US team. If they don't like it don't give them any of our movies. The South Korea one boggles my mind though as we've got a good relationship with them.

Here is different positive perspective for the same news.

Captain America: The First Avenger to Keep Title in Most Countries | Superhero Hype
Captain America: The First Avenger to Keep Title in Most Countries

The New York Times reports that Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios will use the Captain America: The First Avenger title for all but three countries overseas. Renaming movies for international territories happens quite often.

According to the newspaper, Paramount and Marvel were planning on releasing the film as "The First Avenger" in foreign countries, but Paramount's international unit objected, arguing that Captain America had too much brand value.

The studios decided that the comic book adaptation would keep its full name is all but three countries: Russia, Ukraine and South Korea.

The Times says that reasons for those countries are "culture and politics in addition to brand awareness... But anti-American sentiment was also a factor."

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.c...l-captain-america-overseas-hollywood-says-no/
Full article

Personally I think if a particular country is "Anti-American",
then simply don't allow them to view the Movie in that country!

If anyone is so against America, then why would they want to see any movies from America in the first place?

Oh come on! America is popular everywhere! Popular ally, popular enemy or just plain popular culture :cool And proud of it!

They should rename the flick in each of the three countries to Captain Russia, Captain South Korea and Captain Ukraine...won't they be surprised when the movie starts.

Wes R said:
Same crap that caused GI Joe to originally be a UN team and not a US team. If they don't like it don't give them any of our movies. The South Korea one boggles my mind though as we've got a good relationship with them.

That ticked me off at first, but I think it worked in the end. It's also reasonable that you would make an international counter terrorism team. Anyway I just imagined it was like Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six. That's what happened in my brain. :lol BTW, where's the GI Joe sequel?

They should rename the flick in each of the three countries to Captain Russia, Captain South Korea and Captain Ukraine...won't they be surprised when the movie starts.

Well at least Russia could say it's Captain Russia because the colors are correct now. :lol

Retitling "Captain America: The First Avenger" to "The First Avenger" is tame. In Malaysia, because of the objections to the word "hell", "Hellboy" was retitled to "Super Sapiens", I **** you not.

Joe Johnston has already stated that the movie "has nothing to do with being an American or even patriotic -- it has to do with how the main character is suddenly given abilities he always dreamed of having and what he chooses to do with them." Oh boy.

then simply don't allow them to view the Movie in that country!
It isn't about who is allowed to view it. It's about spending a few thou for new titles and posters and making a few extra million by exhibiting it in that market.

It's called show business for a reason. ;)

Amen.

And I'm surprised that it took this long for the fanatics to get ahold of this and try to turn it into something it's not. The trailers that leaked overseas a few months ago that everyone was oogling over on the internet all were titled 'The First Avenger" not Captain America. Old, Non-news.

Amen.

And I'm surprised that it took this long for the fanatics to get ahold of this and try to turn it into something it's not. The trailers that leaked overseas a few months ago that everyone was oogling over on the internet all were titled 'The First Avenger" not Captain America. Old, Non-news.

Actually there was a thread about this months ago and everyone vented their opinions then.

Joe Johnston has already stated that the movie "has nothing to do with being an American or even patriotic -- it has to do with how the main character is suddenly given abilities he always dreamed of having and what he chooses to do with them." Oh boy.

And his name is.... :rolleyes Wow.

To be Honest it's more like "Political correctness" and the Studios not wanting to offend anyone with the correct Name, Captain America Comics have been in Business since 1941 and since that time the popularity has grown making the Comic popular overseas and in other countries (75 to be exact), the name was translated in foreign countries, not renamed like the Film has been.

It isn't about who is allowed to view it. It's about spending a few thou for new titles and posters and making a few extra million by exhibiting it in that market.

It's called show business for a reason. ;)

To be Honest it's more like "Political correctness" and the Studios not wanting to offend anyone with the correct Name, Captain America Comics have been in Business since 1941 and since that time the popularity has grown making the Comic popular overseas and in other countries (75 to be exact), the name was translated in foreign countries, not renamed like the Film has been.

Hmm, would they rather offend someone, or collect their ticket money instead. Hmm.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back