Captain America Rescue Build (Complete PG 3)

VariablePenguin

I was originally going to make First Class Magneto's final costume for Halloween this year, but time is bearing down, I still can't find appropriate fabric for the top, and my lack of experience doing fiberglass/resin has been weighing on me (don't want to ruin the pep I've put together so well). so I've changed my plans.

I've got a jacket on the way from a certain "TheMan" that I was just going to wear for everyday use, but I've decided what the heck, I'll do the rest of the costume, but on the cheap.

cap.png

brianmomanproof.jpg
brianmomancaptainamerica.jpg

For the top I picked up 3 cotton athletic shirts from Target for a grand total of $16. I'll cut the sleeves off the white, sew them inside the blue and cut out stripes and star from the white and red.
DSCN4492.jpg

And to get some experience doing fiber glass and resin, I've started the kite shield. Using a cardboard project board from Hobby Lobby. I taped the flaps together to get a nice curve and started the resin process with ExpoxiMite 101. We'll see how that goes.
DSCN4491.jpg

The rest of the stuff I'll just try to get to look about right. I'll see what I can scrounge up before Halloween time.

Last edited:
Re: Captain America Rescue Build WIP

Got the sleeves sewn on. The resin looks pretty dry. I think I'll do a second coat tomorrow on the same side and get the inside fiber glassed after that dries. Wish me luck!

Very cool idea on the shield. Very interested in seeing how that works out for you.

Thanks Ham, me too!
Need to get more cheapo paint brushes because that EpoxMite destroys them and appropriate rattlecan colors.
Here's what I've worked on with the shirt in the mean time:
DSCN4494.jpg

White sleeves sewn into blue short sleeves. Again, not super accurate, but I think it will look good under a jacket.
DSCN4496.jpg

Stripes cut and ready to be ironed and sewn together. I cut out 8 of each from the shirts, but I'll only use 6 of each.
The Star will have to wait until Monday when I have access to a printer, because there's no way in hell I'm free handing that!

One more pic before I head to the hardware store for brushes and fiberglass cloth
DSCN4498.jpg

Stripes sewn together into 3 panels. Just need to sew them all up and to the blue and I've got 95% of the top done!

Final update for the day me thinks:
DSCN4499.jpg

Not actually sewn to the blue yet, but I just wanted to get a better idea of what I had going on. I'll sew it all together after I cut the blue and sew in the star.

Got the shield and star patterns printed out! Excited to get home from work and get that shield pattern cut out and sew on the star.

About the star: I don't remember in the movie, but does his costume have the star on both sides or just the front? I know in the comics it is on both sides, but I can't remember if the movie-verse did the same with it.

Me too Drex!
Here's what I did today:
DSCN4502.jpg

Got the shield pattern printed out and traced onto the inside of the board to be cut to shape. I took the picture of Cap walking away from the promo shots and blew it up to 30" x 22"
DSCN4504.jpg

HUUUUGE pain in the butt. Cut out a star in rigid felt and covered with fabric pinned in place and sewn on:
DSCN4505.jpg

I know the star is a little askew, but I don't see it as that big of an issue right now.
Now on to the Shield!

DSCN4506.jpg

Cut out the shield. The curve isn't as much as I would like... I might be able to get it curve a bit more when I fiberglass it, hopefully.
DSCN4507.jpg

Here it is in all it's unpainted and unfinished "glory".

Thanks Taylor. I already had most of the stuff to fiberglass my Magneto helmet and I didn't really want to learn how to do that on that intricate of a build so the idea for the shield just popped into my head from that.

Here's what I did last night:
DSCN4508.jpg

Got the fiberglass cloth laid onto the shield using the method I learned from Stealth's tutorials; w/ spray adhesive. I got the inside smoothed out pretty well. I decided that it would be good to reinforce the edges so that's why I have the overlap on the front. I put resin on the front last night. I went over the entire front with a full coat because I accidentally measured out the resin in the wrong size and didn't want to waste it. It filled in most of the divets at least. Today I'll tape the shield again to get the curve more pronounced (It is still remarkably flexible) and get the inside resin done.

Still haven't worked out the way I'll do straps yet... I'll more than likely attach them to the back with cut strips of fiberglass and resin.

Cap's shield is pretty thick, so you could attach leather straps using old belts, and screw a wooden handle assembly through this shield...used it as the underside and make a duplicate to fuse as the top layer.

captain-america_the-first-avenger_chris-evans-ripped-leather_image-credit-marvel-studios.jpeg

Hmmm... That's a pretty good idea Dan. Might give that a try. The boards aren't expensive and I've got plenty of resin left.

On that note, here's what I have done so far:
DSCN4510.jpg

have the fiberglass laided out and resin on top. Also taped across to get the curve better.
DSCN4511.jpg

Curve looks much better now, imo.

Last edited:

Got this batch of supplies in today:
DSCN4513.jpg

The helmet is confusing me. It came without a headband on the inside and I'm wondering how one stays in there any way.

I've done a bunch of sanding with B&D Mouse (those are soooo great) and cut some slots for straps:
DSCN4515.jpg

DSCN4517-1.jpg

Cut up an old belt I had for a knight costume I made and don't have anymore. The left side will stay adjustable. I'll attach the straps to the body when I get the jacket in. I don't want to accidentally make the forearm strap too tight and it not fit me with the jacket on.

Last edited:

I've done a bunch of sanding with B&D Mouse (those are soooo great) and cut some slots for straps:
DSCN4515.jpg

DSCN4517-1.jpg

Cut up an old belt I had for a knight costume I made and don't have anymore. The left side will stay adjustable. I'll attach the straps to the body when I get the jacket in. I don't want to accidentally make the forearm strap too tight and it not fit me with the jacket on.

Hey Penguin, awesome looking shield so far, but im confused by the pics, did you cut the slots thru the shield ? After following, i assume the Brown side is the front and im just confused about the pictures, i know you cut the slots for the backside, but how are they supported or staying there? are the slots thru the shield ? Thanks in advanced

I've decided that if I wait for the jacket, I'm going to end up rushing the shield. That said, I've sized the forearm strap with another jacket on to get it wide enough. I've decided to forget about making it adjustable because I can't even get it over my shoulder with just a t-shirt on.
DSCN4518.jpg

Hey Penguin, awesome looking shield so far, but im confused by the pics, did you cut the slots thru the shield ? After following, i assume the Brown side is the front and im just confused about the pictures, i know you cut the slots for the backside, but how are they supported or staying there? are the slots thru the shield ? Thanks in advanced

The slots are cut all the way through the shield. There is no support of the straps yet. I've got the ends of both straps bent and clamped together to create some tabs that I'll glue to the front and then lay another piece of cardboard over to cover up. I've not attached them yet because I'm still considering whether I'll paint the back first or not.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back