Captain America Helmet Alteration

knightveritas

Hey, all. I'm totally new to actually altering or making parts of my own costumes; so far I've gotten by just purchasing pieces individually and hoping for the best. But Something has been bothering me lately about my costume - the helmet. Currently, it looks like this:
CapHelmet1.JPG

I'm going for a Winter Soldier costume, so I realize the paint needs to be a darker shade of blue. But what I'd really like to alter is the lack of interior padding and presence of a chinstrap. But like I said, I have no experience with this, and so I have no idea where to start. I've been really impressed - often amazed - by the things people around this site have done with costumes, and so I am looking for help.

My initial thought was to simply find a replacement chin strap assembly from a military helmet and attach it to the helmet, though I worry that I would have to drill through the helmet and alter the exterior in order to anchor the chinstrap assembly. I don't really have the tools or available funds to create such an assembly myself, so I would have to find a cheap one available online or at a military surplus store, but would that be the best course of action? I want to keep the helmet outwardly as close to the movie helmet as possible - and also get the chinstrap assembly to match, as well.

So, as a community with a great deal of skill and experience in this area, what do you recommend to someone with virtually no skill, limited funding, and with only the one helmet to work with? Any help is greatly appreciated!

The first thing you can do is cut out the ears, since the Winter Soldier version lacks ear covers (as this is the Avengers version, naturally it came with covers). That's the easy part though.

You may not have to actually drill through the helmet. You could just attach the strap to the inside of the helmet with an adhesive of your choice, rather than actually riveting it in (adhesive might look better). As for where to get the straps, try a website called StrapWorks. You can find nylon webbing straps in a variety of colors and widths, as well as buckles in your choice of colors too.

The chin cup is the only thing that will be hard to find in the wild. You can search ebay and army surplus stores for it, or you could purchase a sheet of Worbla (1 sheet is pretty affordable) and craft the chin cup that way.

Any recommendations on an adhesive that would be appropriate for something like this? An adhesive that would hopefully live through some wear and tear? Like I said, I really am completely new to this, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back