Captain America Costume Challenge, W.I.P.

da wesheb

I was challenged by an associate to create a Captain America variant that fit into an apocalyptic or mercenary "real" world scenario. I'll be documenting much of it in photos and posting them here. Here's to an exciting build!! (Hopefully)

Also, this will be my first costume build. Wish me luck...

Cap 0.jpg
I'm going to move fast and furious on this version.

Cap 1.png

I like the concept here with the Punisher/Plate Carrier and will try to merge Cap into a similar motif and build on it.

Last edited:
Cap 3 Jan 22nd.pngCap 4 Jan 22nd.pngCap 5 Jan 22nd.png

Here's the evolution of the original idea (I was up all night doing research and collecting some supplies.) I already have some pieces that should fit in pretty well but we'll see.

Cap 6.png

I was looking at multiple Cap imaginings and I noticed, for the most part, the center stripe is red but my concept looked good with a white one. I'll probably end up changing it but its just something that has me thinking.

Cap 7.jpg

Got my LMAC from Blue Force Gear all ready to go today. This will be the focal point of the whole suit,

When I bought this originally it was on a clearance deal plus a promotional sale and it ended up being $115 or so shipped. Regularly $280.

update

Cap 8.jpg

Here's the blue. Planning to cut it in a way that just acts as a sleeve over the top half. I have an idea for the velcro patch that fits on the lower portion and it should just create a natural divide with the black vest and blue shirt. More to come.

Last edited:
Cap 9.jpg

Taped these off for painting. My baby sister is coming over today and I hope I can get these done before that.

Got 2 SOCP Daggers, 2 SOCP Drop PTs by Benchmade and 1 TDI by Ka-bar.

Last edited:
Awesome idea! When you say post-apocalyptic CA, I immediately think Road Warrior and the gyrocopter pilot's headgear.

image.jpg

Cool concept. Can't wait to see more!

Awesome idea! When you say post-apocalyptic CA, I immediately think Road Warrior and the gyrocopter pilot's headgear.

View attachment 429849

Cool concept. Can't wait to see more!

I've been stuck on the head/helmet part conceptually since the beginning lol that might do it though! I hope you follow along until the reveal :D :D I'm getting more excited as a document it all.

So I wasn't able to paint everything I wanted to before my sister got here.... and she created a bit of a snag *head slap* but the silver lining here is that she may have opened my eyes on one piece that kinda had me on the fence. I'll post a pic when I can.

Can't wait to see the finished product. I love post apocalypse redesigns. I was considering doing the whole Avengers, but I have some other things to finish first. Good luck with the build.

Cap 10.jpg

This is my sister's final product!! She said she wanted to help and totally caked my panel with Tulip paint. I don't know how she did it so sneakily but I think it was when I ran downstairs to talk with mom. Must've been. She gets points for staying true to the source material and sticking in the lines lol

I have younger siblings as well. I love them to death, and they love to see all the cosplay stuff that I build. Where did you get that Cap shield from?

Cap 12.png Cap 13.jpg

The shield is just a blank I got a few years back, the star and brackets are from Valor.

Quick concept re-design and the painted sheaths. Typically I airbrush everything, that's how I painted the shield, but there were some hard to get to spots that required some of the paintbrush. I ordered a new panel for the LMAC, with any luck it'll be here tomorrow afternoon but realistically I'll be waiting until Tuesday or so.

Cap 17.jpg

This is the belt I ordered and it came in today but I am just not satisfied with it. So I decided to strip my actual belt rig bare and will be using that. The canteen just won't fit anywhere on this belt and that is something that stands out in the Bucky Barnes version of Cap to me. Also, the molle on my belt will allow me to use all the accessories, etc that I already own in a way that fits into the look I'm going for. Here are the pics:

Cap 18.jpgCap 19.jpgCap 20.jpgCap 21.jpg

Traditionally the belt and shoulder straps are supposed to go together like suspenders and pants but I looped everything through the rings on the back of the belt to open up and expose my midsection. You have to show off the money of the costume and I just want to showcase the front of this vest, 100%.

For those who may be wondering, I'm an avid shooter. So I own a lot of magazines and pouches, a few firearms and whatnot. I really feel like I can pull it all into a very special military style look. To be clear, there is zero ammo in these magazines and I won't be walking around with real guns at anytime. Plan on making foam or other alternative versions for any weapon I might incorporate.

Attachments

• Cap 21.jpg
    Cap 21.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • Cap 20.jpg
    Cap 20.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Cap 19.jpg
    Cap 19.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 101
  • Cap 18.jpg
    Cap 18.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 104
Cap 22.png

No work this morning but a little forced inspiration from my girl. She hung this up in my closet and I think it's going to stay there for a very long time.

I'm going to head to Dick's Sporting Goods to try and find some goods for a cheap price, anything I can use.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back