Captain America Avengers Cowl Sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpture and Makeup Effects' started by TheCrusader, Dec 20, 2011.

1. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

Ive been looking at the new Avengers movie coming out soon and i decided that i want Captain Americas cowl/helet. [​IMG] heres a good pic just in case we were not all on the same page... this is not TFA cowl. so lets get started. [​IMG] its a nice profile shot of what Ive started. as you can see there isnt detail and its laid on thick...dont worry the detailing will come later.[​IMG] not much done yet, just laying down the basics. im open to advice or any kind of criticism, but more advice please. So im going to make a mold and cast this puppy when its done and hopefully have it complete before the movie comes out. sorry its been a while since i posted progress.. darn you work. it took me while to cut the ear pieces out of balsa wood. [​IMG] so after i cut the wood i hot glued a couple of pieces on and then sculped clay to give it angles and demension.[​IMG] and i added solder around the edge to give it some flare. i need to vacuum form the ear pieces.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

MOVIE!?!? try wondercon brah!! haha Its awesome dude!

3. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

ok so ive done some work. im doing a lot of projects on the side. i should focus but i think i have artistic a.d.d. [​IMG]

4. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

5. SawyerLockeJack

SawyerLockeJack New Member

So far looking amazing. Any update?

6. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

yeah sorry ive been super busy with the wife. [​IMG] here i tried to smooth the lumps out with Vaseline.. it worked but ive found out that the clay i use doesnt smooth out very well so im trying to think of a cost productive way to fix my situation

7. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

here is what it looked like after 2 different times trying to smooth it out.. its not bad but i need it better than that.[​IMG]

so ive bought new clay and im just gonna sit down when it comes and power through to catch up for lost time.

8. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

crap man this is looking great.

I need to learn how to make one of those head molds to try this out on.

9. Judge Spartan

Judge Spartan Sr Member

You and me both Lord Magneto. My friends and family are'nt willing to help because they think they'd kill me. LOL...

10. Lord Magneto

Lord Magneto Well-Known Member

haha I showed my wife a youtube video of someone getting one made and she was already too nervous to help.

11. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

thanks!! it means a lot. my wife did the head mold but i made her watch a life casting dvd and i had to walk her through it till she covered my mouth..lol
    you can order dvds from smoothon.com

12. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

so i finally have my clay.. ive been super busy with some star wars bandoliers.. anyway i started the other day again so ill be posting pics soon. thanks for everything.

13. TheCaptain96

TheCaptain96 Member

any updates?? :)

14. FutureorBust

FutureorBust New Member

Looking good so far!

15. NexusFX

NexusFX Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

he's sculpting something more indoctrinated right now...:love

16. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

sorry for the super loong delay... been busy working on other things. but heres where im at with this.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. LEX08

LEX08 New Member

What kind of clay are you using?

18. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

I was using Kleanklay but now I'm using Monster clay. 1000 x better.

19. TheCrusader

TheCrusader New Member

so i couldnt get it as smooth as i wouldve liked so i made a hard copy and sanded it and filled in low spots.[​IMG][​IMG]
    so its not too bad, but it still needs work. i also poured a rubber cast just to see how it fit[​IMG][​IMG]
    lets keep in mind that was for funsies and theres still work that needs to be done. so when i get it to where its suppose to be im going to do a clay pour and add the wings and the A and the rest of the detail.

20. Elegan

Elegan New Member

I suspect for long time that how you can make cap helmet. Then it was clearly when I saw the detail section technique from last pics. Awesome >_<d

21. GrimmOmen

GrimmOmen Member

Man, that's coming along nicely! Very inspirational!

-Grimm
    (Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD)

22. Trademarked

Trademarked Member

You made me want to redo my build haha keep up the good work!

23. harzzle

harzzle Member

Looking wicked! Can't wait to see more.

24. NewbieTG

NewbieTG New Member

This is great! Wish there were more updates on it :)