Cap'n America Shield in Ice?...

darthwhitey

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Has anyone thought about doing this? I did a quick search and didn't find anything on it.

The screen-used one sold for $20k at the Profiles Auction last weekend.

Profiles in History

How hard would this be to replicate?

I think this could make a really unique display piece! :cool

brad

EyeofSauron was toying with the idea for a coffee table. I know he got the shield built, but not sure how far he got with the display

EyeofSauron was toying with the idea for a coffee table. I know he got the shield built, but not sure how far he got with the display

That would be really cool too, but I'm thinking more of a hanging display.

Using an aluminum shield would probably be silly, it'd make the most sense to just use the cheapest shield with a great paint job...

the question is, how to make the "ice" part?:love

Oh sure...it's "easy" for you guys...:lol

I watched the video. Obviously, the shield would be fully encased in the silicone "ice."

But some type of mould would have to be made to resemble the ice block, right? Howindahell do ya make that? :cool

Finhead, I think you need to do a "run" of these...as soon as my IM armor is finished...:$

brad

That's really cool. I'm guessing you would need a lot of that Encapso stuff to make a substantial size display. I would love to try this with an inexpensive shield replica. I think it would make a fantastic display.

This is on my to do list, but I bought the shield from Amazon for about 25$.

I was planning on making a ice "wall", doing a thin wall clear resin casting, and then a foam/resin backing to secure the shield. Minimizes the amount of resin needed, and most thankfully, the weight so it can be a display piece for a wall or table :)

Chris

This is on my to do list, but I bought the shield from Amazon for about 25$.

I was planning on making a ice "wall", doing a thin wall clear resin casting, and then a foam/resin backing to secure the shield. Minimizes the amount of resin needed, and most thankfully, the weight so it can be a display piece for a wall or table :)

Chris

This is a great idea...so it wouldn't have the ice "chunk" look but you'd see it encapsulated behind the ice, so to speak?

Cool...:cool

yes im still working on my display table, with the encapso rubber, but it will be half in ice,with bits and pieces of ice lying around, some back light, and under a glass sheet in my coffee table :) but all those projects take so much time, with university in calculation too :D

This is a great idea...so it wouldn't have the ice "chunk" look but you'd see it encapsulated behind the ice, so to speak?

Cool...:cool

Well, thinking it'd have the chunky "look" to it, but just have that outer piece be a shell, and a few inches of empty space between it and the shield. Styrofoam sheet can be modded out a bit to hold the shield in place.

Granted, a solid piece would be awesome, but I would worry the heat would warp the disguise shield (thin plastic), and the weight would be too much for the wall support.

Hardest part is gonna be figuring out how to make that rock look, so I can make a mold of it and have something to pour the resin in :lol

At least if it has a few bubbles in it, it will look natural this time around! :)

Chris

Got to see this close up at c2e2 in Chicago last weekend. Would be great if someone can come up with a realistic home version of it.

It looked to be solid resin, as there were a few spots where i could see air bubbles near the top. Though i never got to see the back, so i dont know if the shield just pops out or not. The entire thing was hard plastic, not rubber or silicone.

6937274114_6b370927c4_c.jpg

6937273806_03d70aa131_c.jpg

6937273474_a3674eeb08_c.jpg

Could always carve a "block " of ice out of foam or whatnot, finish it, then vacuform it for that clear plastic top...problem is...it would be huge lol

If you wanted to keep it a clear "ice" block look you could do the steps that Spider suggested up until the vacuforming part. Instead of doing a clear vacuform, get the shape you want in foam then seal the entire piece and begin the casting process. Once you get the negative form all you need to do is fill the form with clear resin or the rubber and once you get the "depth" you want place the shield inside the form and fill the remainder with the rest of the resin/rubber.

How about a foam sculpture, covered in wax, then paint clear resin over it. Then, a little heat to help the wax soften, remove the sculpture and rest of the wax?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back