Cantwell T16 Skyhopper research thread

Discussion in 'Studio Scale Models' started by Zombie Killer, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I have received permission from a very generous Cesar from Toromodelstudio to use his great hi-res pics of the T16 skyhopper to create parts maps like the Cantwell Xwing. In looking for parts for the X i have found those same kits are used on the T16. I have transfered my notes to Cesars pics and number everything. I didn't want to start that until i had permission to use his pics, i wanted to use his pics because they are awesome.:thumbsup

A special Thanks! to the following for their help.
    Cesar from Toromodelstudio, Moffeaton, Max Zephyr, MonsieurTox, vaderdarth, Modeleers, Apophis, 1138

Here are a few pics of the vehicle.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parts maps begin

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some extra reference shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  2. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Not the best quality but that's better than nothing...

[​IMG]

3. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Thank you very much. That is great!

4. vaderdarth

vaderdarth Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The bottom tripod thingie is a brass shade frame from an antique lamp perhaps an oil lamp or something. I saw it while searching for another greeblie and haven't found it since. Maybe if we all search for it. Do a search for lamp spider.

Dave

5. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

I think the Body of the gun (#5) is the Engine Block (upside-down) & from the AMT Wrecker / Big Rig (1/24th scale tow truck). I have one in my kit stash that I will have to unearth in order to verify. (I do know that the wheels of same were used on the Training Remote sphere)
    I think the half barrel shapes (#8 on engine block) are fuel tank halves (but from a smaller scale big rig (1/32nd).

I also think my friend Nathan has more pics (better?) of the T16 that he & I had taken at the very 1st SW exhibit in San Fran.

6. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Yes it is a truck block on the gun. Please check when you get a chance. I think the chrome barrels are the air cleaners from the same truck.
    Does any one have kit scans of the AMT Titan 90? On the back of this bird there is a Titan 90 rear wheel or one like it in the center.

Thanks

7. Scott Graham

Scott Graham Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just want to say I love these cantwell posts zombie killer! And...

I have a titan 90 I'm using for an at-st (someday). I'll check the kit.

8. Shadowknight

Shadowknight Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Are parts 5 and 15 the same part?

9. moffeaton

moffeaton Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Just got the last Blue Devil Destroyer in my local hobby shop. Whew.

I kept meaning to get it!!

10. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

the decals come from the airfix bf 109 kit

11. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

#6 looks to be a rim, maybe off of the same truck the engine came from??

12. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

13. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Yes and no. They are both halves of the engine.

14. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I added another view of the lower gun showing the rear most parts.
    I updated MonsieurTox's rear pic with some clearer views of the parts and added the actual kit part next to that. Lots of 1/24 Airfix Hawker Hurricane parts on the rear. There are more parts in there but i think i will create a second rear view with the missing parts. More maps to come!

15. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

So happy someone is finally, seriously tackling this project (y)thumbsup

Here is my little contribution...

HAWK 1/50 Crusader Tank makes up the basis for the under-structure of the c0ckpit. It also contributes a smaller part, as in this image...

My kit is in storage so i can't scan right now, but it is confirmed!:)

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Thanks 1138. If you get a chance i'd love to get a scan of it. If it's used here then it probably donates other parts also. I noticed some familliar lookin pieces in a tamiya and Airfix crusader kits like the rectangle boxes under the wings. I updated the right top map with the part. I will make up the hull map tonight or tommorow.

Thanks again 1138.

17. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Not to hijack Zombie killers thread, I have five of these heatsinks, and will give them away FREE to anyone who wants one to build this hopper, just PM me your addy and i will send you one, only the first five.

18. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

That copula on the rear looks to be a 1/72 or 1/48 panther?

19. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

No way that could be a hijack. :thumbsup ( I am not asking for one.) Are these heat sinks still in production?

20. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Yes you are correct. I looked at the training ball type and it's a little different. Haven't had a chance to go kitscan searching again to find the correct panther.

Thank you Apophis for the heatsink offer. Since i have one i would rather they go to those that don't have one yet.

21. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

I really dont know, The ones I found were in the same drawer as the ones for the X and Y wing, but these were kinda dusty and been sitting around for a while.
    I have last years Aavid catalog at work, I can look to see if they stock it.
    I couldnt find them on thier on line catalog.

22. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

You all are welcome! im just glad to finally being able to contribute something!

23. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

Funny i found my heatsink bouncing around in a box. Looked at it and said. "i'll use this on the T16 untill i find the right one." Got home and it turns out it is the right one. I'll be at my parents today and will look for some more.

24. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Just remembered this one too - Revell Aerobee-Hi... again, mine is in storage so i only have this cr@ppy scan.

[​IMG]

25. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

God dag! where in the world would you find one?

26. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Here is the clearest image i have of the rear. The image belongs to someone else, so if the owner wants it removed pls let me know and i will take down.

[​IMG]

27. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

looks like it's being reissued? Here is the Revell 1/40 Aerobee-Hi kit number RMXH1814.

I have a local hobby shop that might be able to order them in bulk, I have an email to them.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  28. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

The cylinder which frames the "truck rim" reminds me of a scotch tape cylinder, but the three tabs in the pic aren't on modern cores.

[​IMG]

29. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I think your right. I kind of remember the old ones having the tabs. Probably used to roll up the tape. Good job

Found an Aerobee but it was the last one the store had. I ordered it and will post scans as soon as it come in.

Thanks guys.

Edit on that tape reel, i have 2 different ones here. One from the wide tape and one from the narrow tape. The narrow tape reels have deeper side channels. The wide tapes have what looks like 2 thinner tape reels glued together and have a shallow channel like on the T16. Fraking great guys. We'll have this thing ID'd in no time. Looks like this one will be done before the X. I will go back and number these maps. I forgot at first but will do it so we can have a numbered list of parts and maps.
    Glen

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  30. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

The parts maps are numbered and done. There may be a few odds and ends still but this is the bulk of it. NEXT!!!

31. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Am I late?

If that's the Aerobe (& it is), then (size-wise) the tank copula (#36) is from the 1/48th / Panzer V.
    (how many of you knew that, raise your hand)

Re: Scotch-tape Wheel (...you guys scare me, Good Call!)

32. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

Hey Gents, i'm a bit red-faced on this but the Aerobee is a bad match. Serves me right for trying to do this with all my kits long in storage. The correct match for the cylinder along the upper edge of the c0ckpit is the Revell 1/48 Apollo Lunar Spacecraft kit. Here is a pic confirming the details.

Very sorry for the bad info :$

I will start double-checking my * before posting :cry

[​IMG]

33. modeleers

modeleers Sr Member

Me too! And I should've got that one, ...the 1/48 Apollo CM /LM combo kit is one of my all time favs. (last reissued in 94(?) by Revell / Germany)

34. MonsieurTox

MonsieurTox Master Member

Wow great job guys !
    I cant wait to see the first T-16 being built. That's my fav Cantwell's proto, so I will follow this thread with great interest ! :thumbsup

35. moffeaton

I finally nabbed an Apollo Lunar Spacecraft (and I think I have everything else now too). When it arrives, I will draft up the wings and body panels, and will have them laser cut from styrene.

Builders Group, any one? Happy to have my buddy cut more for anyone building this.

36. Boba Flint

Boba Flint Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

You have my attention sir.

37. darth_myeek

darth_myeek Sr Member

Jason I'd be interested, pls.

Thanks,
    Mike

38. Zombie Killer

Zombie Killer Sr Member

I'm interested also Please.

39. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

PM sent jason!

40. 1138

1138 Well-Known Member

me in too, awesome Jason! (y)thumbsup

41. moffeaton

Got my original 109 decal scanned in, and am now redrawing in Illustrator so we can have waterslide decals!

[​IMG]

42. Boba Flint

Cool. My decals yellowed.

43. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

Im glad you finally got some good decals Jason!
    I dont remember when they changed them to the newer set, but from examining the ones on the t-16, you can see the brush strokes to change the look.
    There is one more decal to find and its under the window and it says "exit release" it may be from the harrier or one of the other kits used like the gemini/mercury kit.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  44. moffeaton

45. moffeaton

Jerry - if we don't find that decal, I can just make it from scratch :)

Also - been checking wheel hubs for that rear detail piece. C-600 AMT City Delivery seems close, but that ribbed inner detail reminds me of the Movin On, maybe? One of the Colonial Mover's donors... Anyway, the rim/bolt pattern looks like a Ford part.

46. swhite228

swhite228 Well-Known Member

Try hanging them printed side facing out on a window that gets full sunlight for a couple of days and the yellowing should go away.

47. Boba Flint

Starting another part map.

48. propologist

propologist Sr Member

This is incredible to watch it unfold. I want to build one of these one of these days..lol

49. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member

What i do know about the rim, is that it is from the tractor, or the trailer, but it is a custom job and on the real thing it is made of aluminum, it is a split rim (two parts). Also, it is from the late sixties to early seventies, as manufactuers are able to make one piece rims now.
    So, any kits that had custom rims from the two above decades should help in narrowing down the closest kit.
    Im pretty sure its from an AMT kit.

50. Apophis

Apophis Sr Member