Cantina Flooring / Where do I get it?

Slave1

Sr Member
To show off my new Evazan blaster, I was looking to display it on a wall mounted section of Cantina floorings, similar to this.

Any ideas on what I could use to simulate the weird waffle floor pattern?

11491-ponda-baba-blaster.jpg

A fiberglass mesh may be available for stucco work that you could lay onto the surface rather than using it internally.

Other possibilities that come to mind are:
That may be a piece of carpet turned upside-down.
Alternately I think you can get a similar mesh in the DIY rug kits from Michaels.
A mesh is also used to back tile patterns that use small pieces.

thew do make that stuff for flooring, i working at a kyocera about 20 years ago and they had that for the flooring, it was like a fiberglass and very strong stuff. it was a false floor suspended by three foot tall polls so that the mechs had clear access to the equiptment below normall level. they would simply remove the floor panel.

i did a quick search for fiberglass flooring and this was first up

AMD Inc

lokk around, it should not be hard to find, it's currently used in industries.

good luck ;)

Here's a really nice, big pic to illustrate what I'm looking for. The fiberglass mesh is a good idea, as is the lighting grid fixture.

What strikes me about the pic below is that you can tell the grid was glued down and whatever they glued it down with is covering the grid is some spots. The surface below the grid is inconsistent, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. It looks uneven, maybe even rough.

I'm wondering if they didn't use the lighting grid stuff and use that days eqivalent of liquid expanding foam to pour into the openings and then sand down the highspots and down into the grids a bit. Sanding open the cells of the foam might give some of that rough appearance. What do you guys think?

StarWars-SE-14C2.jpg

Well crap, I think I just answered my own question.

Looking up into the upper left hand corner, the grid appears much deeper, with no material in the grid. And it appears white.

Looks pretty much like what I and the other Slave1 originally thought. Lighting grid sheeting it is, I think, with some sort of mystery substance to fill in the grids.

I'll be stopping by the electrical supply store on Monday. Thanks, guys! :)

I was thinking, could this actually be normal floor tiles, just flipped upside-down so the pattern that normally would take caulk and stick to a floor actually is facing up?

Then again, it does look a lot like the plastic pattern with sand caked inside.

Pretty sure it's the egg crate lighting panel diffuser material, judging by the untampered with stuff up in the corner of the pic.

The matial filling the grids could be something as simple as plaster of Paris, and then just hit with some tan paint.

What I'll probably do is secure it down to some sort of plaque / mount, hotglue around the outer edges, and then pour two part expanding foam into the grids and sand like I speculated they might have down on the original. Then hit it with a little tan paint, again like I speculated they might have done, and I'll have a nice little Cantina themed plaque to display my Evan / Ponda Baba shared blaster.

Then again, it does look a lot like the plastic pattern with sand caked inside.

Of course I'll want something a little more permanent, but you know you're right. They might have just poured sand into the grids. After all, they just needed it for one shot.

Something else I noticed a while back is that Ponda Baba's werewolf version hand appears to be using the same base glove / hand as the cantina band members, just repainted and haired up. Same knobby knuckles, anyway.

Of course I'll want something a little more permanent, but you know you're right. They might have just poured sand into the grids. After all, they just needed it for one shot.

That is what I was thinking. It looks just like poured sand to me.

They are in the desert after all.

Depending on how much surface you need to cover, you could lay down a layer of sculpting medium (like Sculpey, and press the grid down into the clay.

Sculpy would have to be baked, wouldn't it?

Picked up the light diffuse material today, and it looks perfect. :)

I have a section of plywood, and I plan to cut the light material down slighly smaller than the plywood, leaving some room to add trim around the edges. I'll secure the egg crate stuff to the plywood and will drizzle some two part rigid foam into the squares.

That stuff expands slighly, but if it overflows, no problem. I can sand the excess off and can get the correct sloping on the insides of the squares. The rough texture of the sanded open foam cells should look okay. I may mix up some epoxy with sand in it and dab on the surface though, who knows.

This should be a fun project.

Instead of installing the crate material first... what about plopping some two part foam in the middle of the plywood and quickly troweling it unevenly onto it and then pressing the crate material into it? I think it would give a more overall matching look... as well if your foam has a long enough pot-life you could dust it with sand while still tacky... so it is all kind of held together by the foam and then you could just hit it with a matte sealant.

Sculpey can be cured with a hair dryer, but I'm sure there are other mediums that could "air dry".

Seems like Hazelrah has a similar basic concept/perspective - embed the grid into something.

Last edited:
It makes more sense to me to put the grid down first and drizzle the foam over it, like filling an ice tray.

The foam will actually cover my planned method for anchoring the grid to the plywood. Don't want to have to dig into foam later and then have to recover with more foam again.

Adding sand would be easy, but I don't want little grains falling off all the time, so I will have to have some sort of layer of top coat to encapsulate it.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! The Evazan blaster looks great just lying on the bare grid already!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back