Cantina Flooring / Where do I get it?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Costumes and Props' started by Slave1, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

To show off my new Evazan blaster, I was looking to display it on a wall mounted section of Cantina floorings, similar to this.

Any ideas on what I could use to simulate the weird waffle floor pattern?

[​IMG]

2. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

And alternative insert shot pattern where the flooring has a small tile pattern instead of recesses.

[​IMG]

3. moviebuff5

moviebuff5 Well-Known Member

A fiberglass mesh may be available for stucco work that you could lay onto the surface rather than using it internally.

Other possibilities that come to mind are:
    That may be a piece of carpet turned upside-down.
    Alternately I think you can get a similar mesh in the DIY rug kits from Michaels.
    A mesh is also used to back tile patterns that use small pieces.

4. slave1pilot

slave1pilot Sr Member

I aways assumed it was "egg crate florescent lighting grid
    [​IMG]

5. trooper

trooper Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

thew do make that stuff for flooring, i working at a kyocera about 20 years ago and they had that for the flooring, it was like a fiberglass and very strong stuff. it was a false floor suspended by three foot tall polls so that the mechs had clear access to the equiptment below normall level. they would simply remove the floor panel.

i did a quick search for fiberglass flooring and this was first up

AMD Inc

lokk around, it should not be hard to find, it's currently used in industries.

good luck ;)

6. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

I always thought so too, but i think it's too deep without modifying it to some degree.

Great ideas, guys. Really hoping to find something that will fit the bill that's off the shelf.

7. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Here's a really nice, big pic to illustrate what I'm looking for. The fiberglass mesh is a good idea, as is the lighting grid fixture.

What strikes me about the pic below is that you can tell the grid was glued down and whatever they glued it down with is covering the grid is some spots. The surface below the grid is inconsistent, sometimes higher, sometimes lower. It looks uneven, maybe even rough.

I'm wondering if they didn't use the lighting grid stuff and use that days eqivalent of liquid expanding foam to pour into the openings and then sand down the highspots and down into the grids a bit. Sanding open the cells of the foam might give some of that rough appearance. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

8. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Well crap, I think I just answered my own question.

Looking up into the upper left hand corner, the grid appears much deeper, with no material in the grid. And it appears white.

Looks pretty much like what I and the other Slave1 originally thought. Lighting grid sheeting it is, I think, with some sort of mystery substance to fill in the grids.

I'll be stopping by the electrical supply store on Monday. Thanks, guys! :)

9. Ikariya

Ikariya Well-Known Member

I was thinking, could this actually be normal floor tiles, just flipped upside-down so the pattern that normally would take caulk and stick to a floor actually is facing up?

Then again, it does look a lot like the plastic pattern with sand caked inside.

10. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Pretty sure it's the egg crate lighting panel diffuser material, judging by the untampered with stuff up in the corner of the pic.

The matial filling the grids could be something as simple as plaster of Paris, and then just hit with some tan paint.

What I'll probably do is secure it down to some sort of plaque / mount, hotglue around the outer edges, and then pour two part expanding foam into the grids and sand like I speculated they might have down on the original. Then hit it with a little tan paint, again like I speculated they might have done, and I'll have a nice little Cantina themed plaque to display my Evan / Ponda Baba shared blaster.

11. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Of course I'll want something a little more permanent, but you know you're right. They might have just poured sand into the grids. After all, they just needed it for one shot.

12. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Something else I noticed a while back is that Ponda Baba's werewolf version hand appears to be using the same base glove / hand as the cantina band members, just repainted and haired up. Same knobby knuckles, anyway.

13. knightdriver2001

knightdriver2001 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That is what I was thinking. It looks just like poured sand to me.

They are in the desert after all.

14. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Depending on how much surface you need to cover, you could lay down a layer of sculpting medium (like Sculpey, and press the grid down into the clay.

15. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

Sculpy would have to be baked, wouldn't it?

Picked up the light diffuse material today, and it looks perfect. :)

I have a section of plywood, and I plan to cut the light material down slighly smaller than the plywood, leaving some room to add trim around the edges. I'll secure the egg crate stuff to the plywood and will drizzle some two part rigid foam into the squares.

That stuff expands slighly, but if it overflows, no problem. I can sand the excess off and can get the correct sloping on the insides of the squares. The rough texture of the sanded open foam cells should look okay. I may mix up some epoxy with sand in it and dab on the surface though, who knows.

This should be a fun project.

16. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Well-Known Member

Instead of installing the crate material first... what about plopping some two part foam in the middle of the plywood and quickly troweling it unevenly onto it and then pressing the crate material into it? I think it would give a more overall matching look... as well if your foam has a long enough pot-life you could dust it with sand while still tacky... so it is all kind of held together by the foam and then you could just hit it with a matte sealant.

17. PHArchivist

PHArchivist Master Member

Sculpey can be cured with a hair dryer, but I'm sure there are other mediums that could "air dry".

Seems like Hazelrah has a similar basic concept/perspective - embed the grid into something.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  18. avianoguitarist

avianoguitarist Active Member

Yep--get the lighting sheets and fill with sand.

19. thegreatgalling

thegreatgalling Sr Member

Hmm. Maybe the plywood, attach the grid and use a mixture of spray adhesive and hot glue to make the sand permanent?

20. Slave1

Slave1 Sr Member

It makes more sense to me to put the grid down first and drizzle the foam over it, like filling an ice tray.

The foam will actually cover my planned method for anchoring the grid to the plywood. Don't want to have to dig into foam later and then have to recover with more foam again.

Adding sand would be easy, but I don't want little grains falling off all the time, so I will have to have some sort of layer of top coat to encapsulate it.

Thanks for the ideas, guys! The Evazan blaster looks great just lying on the bare grid already!

21. Hazelrah

Hazelrah Well-Known Member

You could use cement binder mixed with play sand, and then just spray it with pva to seal it and then matte finish. I'm just afraid that might make the sand too smooth and not give the look you are looking for...

22. drmoreau

drmoreau Active Member

agreed. I think they just poured sand over some lighting grid....really quick and easy.

23. Veedox

Veedox Active Member

That stuff between the grid looks like a thick pile carpet to me.

24. micdavis

micdavis Master Member

Throw some fiberglas matte cloth over that lighting grid and hit with a light coat of resin.

Spray to color of choice.

Ought to look just like that.

25. division 6

division 6 Master Member

What about just using grout.

26. Idaho Jones

Idaho Jones Well-Known Member

found this pic on facebook and it reminded me of this thread

27. deadflanders

deadflanders New Member

Do the sand and then just mix up some elmers glue and water in a spray bottle and spray over it. This makes it pretty rock solid, and if you don't add too much, it still has a nice matt finish..

28. gyoung2993

gyoung2993 Sr Member

I like the floor tile look of that stuff.......

29. Harry Bardwell

Harry Bardwell Active Member

honestly it looks like the lighting grid laid over carpet to me

30. OdiWan72

OdiWan72 Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

definately sand!

Please post pics of your finished display :thumbsup

Markus

31. Scream

Scream Guest

Yeah I think the stuff in the holes is sand. It would make sense, I bet a lot of sand is brought it on the boots of patrons.

32. Sluis Van Shipyards

Sluis Van Shipyards Master Member

I was looking at the Prequel Chronicles book the other night and they had a pic of Watto's shop with almost the exact same stuff with sand all in it. I'm guessing that's what we're seeing because they tried to copy the ANH Tatooine interiors.

33. drmoreau

drmoreau Active Member

img081 front side.jpg
    looks fairly similar to whatever that plastic stuff is in an army camp in vietnam. this is from a photo my Dad shot in '72 so it wouldn't be too long (time wise) from when the movie was made.

34. AJTaliesen

AJTaliesen Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Sand or sawdust. Being a movie set they would've had entire truckloads of both just lying around getting into everything whether they wanted it to or not.

But to recreate it you'd want something that isn't going to be such a huge pain. Someone suggested grout. I'd go with that, or else sand mixed with drywall putty or something. Something that will give you a nice gritty look and be paintable, but isn't going to migrate and infest every last corner of the room for the next year like sawdust does.

35. cavx

cavx Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I'm going to say that the stuff is sand. It would have been shoveled in and then leveled by brooming it to expose the grid.

36. hansolo2504

hansolo2504 Active Member

To me it just looks like the set decorators just stuck the grids onto the stone floor of the building. Being in Tunisia I expect it'd be sandstone or something similar

37. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Realize that this was a pickup insert shot in California, at somebody's shop. Not at a movie studio. I agree it's just the lighting grid with sand poured on.

(Also, the pictures in the first two posts don't seem to be the same ones as originally posted....I guess other pics with the same filenames have been put up at that address in the last two years...)