can you tell if this is real or a replica graflex?

ArtistTheGeek

Hi guys, looking for some of your collective wisdom here, lol

Is it possible to tell from this pic whether this is a real graflex or a replica? I'm not an expert on these things but I always thought real ones would have looked... older?

or do you actually get them looking this good? (or could the photo just be hiding the marks?)

thanks in advance :)

[attachmentid=6441]

The bubble strip is Parks'.

Going by that alone, I would say it's a replica. You really need to see better pictures to say for sure.

from the replica i owned (bestest one ever made.), the lettering on the bottom endcap was changed.

ask for a pic of the endcap with the graflex print, that was the only real big "tell" on the L ones made a while back. dunno about the current ones.

chris

I would say the biggest tells on the Parks are the lettering on the clamp (G and X are completely between the bands, not halfway outside) and the screw holding the ears (as opposed to a bolt).

that's from stoyano's auction. In the listing, "original" is highlighted, so I am guessing it probably is. Like hydin said, ask for a pic of the endcap.

The giveaway on the parks is on the clamp, the finish will appear scratched near the creases made for the 'control box.' It isn't actually scrathed, the finish just goes from side to side there, instead of following around the tube. Also, there will be a screw holding the ears in place, instead of a peg. All originals have a that peg, so you should a smooth head on top.

Im 99% sure thats a replica. The biggest give away for me is the space one the clamp where the bubbles go. On the replicas, the clamp closes in around the bubbles tighter.

-Mike

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back