Can you blue a denix?

7-11 Jedi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Hey all, I'm working on building a blaster, and I was wondering, can you blue a denix? I've reblued some shotgun parts before and I got to thinking about trying it, but I'm not sure if what type of metal it's made from.

Anyone tried it? Cheers.

Mike

Not to sound like a smartass, but a Denix is made out of Zamak, a Zink alloy afaik.

But YES, it can be blued ;)

Markus

<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Sep 26 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]1326544[/snapback]</div>
Not to sound like a smartass, but a Denix is made out of Zamak, a Zink alloy afaik.

Markus
[/b]

Really? It really seemed like Aluminum when I chopped the barrel off one. Now you've got me wondering what it was I used to blue it. Does the aluminum black work, or did I use perma blue (for steel) or something like that? (been a while since I did it)

<div class='quotetop'>(Sumatra @ Sep 27 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1326951[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Sep 26 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]1326544[/snapback]

Markus
[/b]

Really? It really seemed like Aluminum when I chopped the barrel off one. Now you've got me wondering what it was I used to blue it. Does the aluminum black work, or did I use perma blue (for steel) or something like that? (been a while since I did it)
[/b][/quote]

Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black didn't work when I tried it on a denix le-mat and I got a dirty grey weathered effect from a brass antiquing fluid but not black enough to be useful.

I tried perma blu and it came out an odd color and messy as hell.

<div class='quotetop'>(b26354 @ Sep 26 2006, 10:54 PM) [snapback]1326979[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(Sumatra @ Sep 27 2006, 10:13 AM) [snapback]1326951[/snapback]
<div class='quotetop'>(OdiWan72 @ Sep 26 2006, 07:14 AM) [snapback]1326544[/snapback]

Markus
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black didn't work when I tried it on a denix le-mat and I got a dirty grey weathered effect from a brass antiquing fluid but not black enough to be useful.
[/b][/quote]

The Denix is die cast metal which is typically "pot metal" which is mostly zinc or a zinc alloy as stated. If the gun were aluminum, or aluminium for those outside the US, it would be much lighter. It would also cost more.

Steve

You can use BlueWonder with spectacular results but the downside is that its not the most robust finish so it won't take the kind of beating a traditional blue would tolerate.

This is a DENIX Colt 1911 showing the blue finish but the magazine isn't Denix, its a genuine Colt part.

Colt1911a.jpg

Regards

MARK

Check the DL44 threads for info. It can be done but it is tedious. Patience and persistence will get you a good finish.

You have to sand off the black finish (be careful or you change the shape of the Denix), hit it with 400 grit & some steel wool, heat gun the surface, and lots of cotton balls with Birchwood Casey aluminium black. Too smooth of a surface and it tends to bead & roll off.

Oh- degrease it super well!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back