Suggestion Can the ignore feature be improved?

micdavis

Master Member
The previous version of the board made the posts by ignored people completely VANISH. All posts and topics simply weren't there.

Now, you still see that the person has posted in a thread. Just not the text.

Any chance this can happen.

How about a preference to not see a whole section.

It's pretty scary and disconcerting to see that someone you dislike/disagree with is expressing themselves at all, even if you can't see what they're saying, isn't it?

Hey what gives?

I just opened this thread and the post that started this thread is not visible?

Seriously..

I put Micdavis on ignore to see how it looked and it is a little funky.

One nice feature however is that there is a quick way, while in the thread, to take the person off the ignore list.

I'd be curious if there was a feature that would show you who has you on their ignore list........

I gotta agree with that one, even if it was somewhat in jest. If you have a good enough reason to basically shove someone out of your way, then you shouldn't have any problem letting them know about it, only seems fair really. That said, there has always been something very disturbing to me about there even being an "ignore" feature at all.:wacko

Mic, we can look into it and see if there are any mods but from what I am seeing with vB 4 it still works more or less the same way with the thread/post still being visible but the content being made invisible.

One of the members brought up a great idea. Is there possibility to create a feature that will ignore certain threads?

Put me down for this feature too, I never thought I would want it, but that was before the OT section was being used as an instant message type service.

^well you do have useful information once in awhile.. ;)

I think this feature would be very beneficial for the site especially after recent threads in some forums. Maybe if the thread offends/annoys some-one, he or she can easily use the ignore feature instead of it leading to problems further down the road

Is there possibility to create a feature that will ignore certain threads?

It already exists. Its a simple add-on call "Self-Restraint", and its activated in one of two ways:
1) Click on the green arrow button in the top left corner of your browser window. This takes you to the previous page, thereby eliminating the offending thread from view (it might take two clicks on this button, if you've actually gone into the thread);
2) Click on the scroll bar at the right of your browser. This will move the offending thread up or down on the page until it disappears from view.

The best part about the "Self-Restraint" add-on is that you don't have to download anything, so you don't have to worry about your system being compromised. Its an absolutely wonderful, though highly under utilized, piece of built in software.

Give it a whirl. I think it'll solve your problem.

It already exists. Its a simple add-on call "Self-Restraint", and its activated in one of two ways:
1) Click on the green arrow button in the top left corner of your browser window. This takes you to the previous page, thereby eliminating the offending thread from view (it might take two clicks on this button, if you've actually gone into the thread);
2) Click on the scroll bar at the right of your browser. This will move the offending thread up or down on the page until it disappears from view.

The best part about the "Self-Restraint" add-on is that you don't have to download anything, so you don't have to worry about your system being compromised. Its an absolutely wonderful, though highly under utilized, piece of built in software.

Give it a whirl. I think it'll solve your problem.
Quoted for troof...and the fact that you beat me to the punch.

That doesn't help when there are a large number of threads that are all being consistently bumped at the same time from the same user/users in the junkyard that take up most of the first page. Putting these users on the ignore list does not hide these threads.

Are these threads offensive, no, but they are annoying and this is the "Questions and Suggestions" section of the forum so the question was asked. Talking down to the person who asked the question is not productive in any way and can lead to harsher words being exchanged. Of course he knows his browser has a back button.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back